OnStar Reincarnation as Bluetooth Phone Interface!
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    SuperCooled30V Moderator keithwbloom's Avatar
    Blog Entries

OnStar Reincarnation as Bluetooth Phone Interface!

SUCCESS! SUCCESS! SUCCESS!

The defunct analog OnStar in my 2004 GLX torments me no more. I am very psyched to announce success in my efforts to engineer a VW compatible adaptation of the GM-only Bluestar module, a bluetooth 2.1 compatible interface engineered to make use of the OnStar peripherals and audio programming in the equally defunct pre-2005 analog OnStar units in equipped GM models.

The modifications required some button controller board resistor changes and an internal jump within the Bluestar unit to provide a connector lead for the radio mute function. Once that was in order, the pins from the VW Telematics harness connector plug had to be remapped and migrated to the GM Onstar harness connector plugs (2) to snap into the Bluestar module. But when all the dust settled, it was just a snap together and stow the module away proposition.

So now I can (amongst many things):
    1. Press the White OnStar button for one second and get the voice command prompt from my Motorola Droid X Android phone.
    2. Press the White OnStart button for three seconds and redial the last number called.
    3. Press the White OnStar button to answer an incoming call.
    4. Press the Blue OnStar button to answer an incoming call with the handset instead.
    5. Press the Red OnStar button to mute a call while connected.

But the best part is, no wires! The Bluestar uses the built-in OnStar mic and the Monsoon speakers. When a call is initiated or comes in, the Monsoon head unit switches to "Phone" mode automatically, and the audio from the call is played over the car's speakers.

It recognizes my phone (if present) when I turn on the ignition and connects automatically.

If multiple phones have been paired, it attempt to connect with them in the order they were added until successful (so my phone trumps my wife's when we are together).

It comes with a PC-based management/programming utility that includes a ringtone creator function (going to have to get the sheet music for AC/DC "Back in Black").

It has an A2DP audio out function that I am hoping to start tinkering with, trying to figure out if I can have an AUX signal from said A2DP port and maintain the connection to my Phatnoise DMS. That means streaming PandoraOne. Who needs a satellite radio subscription?

Too much to really mention. I hope this long-awaited message of hope reaches a few frustrated OnStar-equipped Passat owners (optionally available on 2002-2005 GLS and GLX models only). I have worked out a group buy with Costar, the makers of Bluestar, to enable our members to get a VW-ready Bluestar for their OnStar-equipped VW for $279. Details will be posted in GB section.

It's ALIVE! (again)

2007 S4 Cabriolet 6MT, 2004 GLX SC/IC 30V V6 5MT

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

That is awesome!!! Wish I had onstar in my GLX Wag, I guess it was an extra option when buying new. People with onstar should jump on this. Very cool mod and get rid of your bluetooth

SuperCooled30V Moderator keithwbloom's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pablitormDub View Post
    That is awesome!!! Wish I had onstar in my GLX Wag, I guess it was an extra option when buying new. People with onstar should jump on this. Very cool mod and get rid of your bluetooth
    Thanks for the props, Pablo! I'll be showing it off at MAGTG. I am so proud. I knew it would work, I just had to make all the connections and get the button signals right. Geesh, with my Android phone software, it even reads my text messages and announces my voicemail box contents on playback! I have to figure out a way to get it to do voice recognition for creating messages through Bluetooth and I have yet to see if I can get audio from the Google Navigation program, it would be cool to have it break in to tell me about traffic alerts!

2007 S4 Cabriolet 6MT, 2004 GLX SC/IC 30V V6 5MT

5. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information