Turning off tape deck auto-switch
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    1st Gear

Turning off tape deck auto-switch

I use a ghetto cassette adapter for connecting my iPod to my stereo (I know I'm cheap). The only problem is that when there is no music playing, it will switch sides a few times automatically and then eject and go to radio mode. Is there any way to turn this off? I'm using the stock stereo.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Neutral

Similar Issue

I have a 2000 Passat with the Monsoon HU. I'm also using a cassette adapter to connect my iPod, but when I do, I get a strange error message on the display. I also own a 2001 Pontiac Grand Am which also has a Monsoon HU, and I experienced the same issue, but the Pontiac's HU has a way to disable the "tape break" feature of the cassette player, and now I can listen to my ipod on that vehicle. I'm wondering if the VW HU has a similar way to disable the "tape break" feature?

Super Stealth Retired Moderator JayTheSnork's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Call Fives
    I use a ghetto cassette adapter for connecting my iPod to my stereo (I know I'm cheap). The only problem is that when there is no music playing, it will switch sides a few times automatically and then eject and go to radio mode. Is there any way to turn this off? I'm using the stock stereo.
    nope. the head unit in the dash has no way of knowing what the hell you shoved into the slot. it looks for music going thru the preamp to see if it is working.

1st Gear
    that's really wierd cuz I can leave a tape adaptor in not connected to anything, and the tape deck just plays nothing other than that dim white noise. I've got an 03 non-monsoon.

I run alot of tape adaptors, and every time I've had a problem, I just get a new one and that usually fixes it.

I don't know much about our HU internals, but every cassette deck I've ever taken apart that has auto-stop or auto reverse either looks for if the spool thats supposed unwinding is actually unwinding or if there is a bunch of resistance against the pinch roller. If it stops, that indicates the end of the tape. Maybe the gears in your adaptor aren't working properly?

I can't see them making a function where it swaps sides when the music stops, what would happen on song breaks

6. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information