FM radio reception problems
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

FM radio reception problems

Hello,

I have a problem with my radio. A sound quiality is very bad. I thought that antenna amplifier was needed. Standart antenna amplifier locates inside the antenna on the car roof and it takes power from central wire of antenna cable. I gave +12V to the central wire and cut them from radio unit with diode. I made possible to receive a AM stations, but FM sound quality was still very bad.

I've told with other passat owners - some of them had same problem. I guess it is the typical problem for B5. Sure, I can resolve it with setting a new antenna (for example inside my dash board - it will be fully invisible) but I want to recover existing antenna.

I have an idea, that the problem is in the antenna cable between radio and antenna. Maybe it was damaged.

Does anybody have the radio quality problem to be resolved?

Thank you!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Super Stealth Retired Moderator JayTheSnork's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    it sounds like you did not replace the antenna base - it is as you said, the antenna base has an amplifier in it. the antenna base neds to be replaced. it is a powered setup, and it sounds like that is what needs to be replaced.
    www.enfig.com is one place to go to get it.

Neutral
    Thanks a lot. Now I am going to take off the car ceiling and replace the antenna base. Anyway I will be ready to change antenna cable.

Blog Entries
    have you seen the writeups here on this website as to how to do it? good luck...

2nd Gear
    I'm a little confused with your exact situation. I also get terrible FM reception and it got even worse once I installed my new HU. Is this what happened to you? If so, when you replace the HU you also need to replace the thing in the antenna?

Blog Entries
    happened to me. do a search on my posts, then search for antenna and/or enfig. I posted more than 2 years ago about it, I think. enfig.com is your friend when it comes to buyinng replacement antenna bases.

Neutral
    JayTheSnork, yes I've found it yet. ~DIY Antenna base and wire replacement in less than an hour~ I think it will help me out. Thank you.

robspassatv6, I had gotten a bad FM reception with a standart b5 HU (gamma5), so I decided to change HU for the Kenwood w7027. But a quality didn't improve. I think problem is in the antenna cable or in the antenna amplifier base. I need the antenna to change.

Blog Entries
    Mist, it's more than likely in the base. the antenna cable usually doesn't go bad, but if it does, one likely place is a connector in the tunnel area around the left side of the shifter and under the carpeting. the easy solution is to replace the antenna base by dropping the headliner, unscrewing the old base, and then replacing it and running the new cable.
    keep in mind that this is a POWERED antenna preamplifier in the base, so you need a power line for it. the enfig base I bought had a separate line. the Kenwood you bought more than likely has an antenna power output, and it is probably blue in color - that's the line to connect for the antenna base preamplifier power.

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by JayTheSnork
    the Kenwood you bought more than likely has an antenna power output, and it is probably blue in color - that's the line to connect for the antenna base preamplifier power.
    Jay is right, It does have the power antenna output and it is blue.

3rd Gear
    This is happening in my car right now and i'm having trouble finding the part to replace it with.

Can you please provide?

Also, for installation,do I need to rip out all the headliner etc or can i just lower part of it?

I have a bunch of other jobs i need to work and and this one is bugging me the most!

4th Gear
    Wow! Way to bump a 9 year old post!

enfig.com sells the replacement antenna base and lead.

A little bit of searching will net you the answer on what you need to do with the headliner.

3rd Gear
    no newb here, I already was on the website and wanted to make sure i got the right part. Actually surprised no one else has talked about fm issues. I don't see a point in creating new messages when I can search for answers. The link was already messaged here, still don't see the part.

Next?

4th Gear
    I am going to assume you have a sedan since the question about the headliner was asked. I just changed my antenna from the whip style to a shark fin in my sedan. In doing so I only lowered the rear half of the headliner. To do so I removed the grab handles and all trim from the C pillar. If (which you should if your profile info is correct 2003) you have side air bags then there will be metal retaining clips, one on each side at the top, in the pillar trim. Real fun. Make sure to clean the roof area around the antenna base of any accumulated debris before installing the new base. You'll also have fun reinstalling the rear of the headliner back into the correct location with the rear edge over a metal "lip."

Try here for parts: Antenna

Neutral
    I have a similar issue here, but it doesnt sound as bad (and I still have the stock HU).
    When the antenna amplifier goes bad, does it just stop working all together or does it gradually degrade over time?

16. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information