Camless engine to appear in Corvette C6
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    4th Gear

Camless engine to appear in Corvette C6

Interesting. The new GM V8 for the next generation 'Vette will be camless with infinitely variable valve timing. How cool is that!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>
    Now comes for the engines. This is the only part that the automotive magazines have totally gone wrong on. Here are two things that the C6 will not have for an engine: One with displacement on demand, and one with two cams in the block. Rumors about these two features have been plastered along side every C6 story we’ve read, but they are simply not true. But truth can be stranger than fiction as you will soon read. The base engine, dubbed LS2, will be based off the current LS6. It will retain its 400+hp status and OHV layout. Expect improved fuel economy, and performance (mostly due to the reduced weight). The strange part comes strait out of aviation history books. The high performance version of the C6 (possibly still named Z06) will be powered by a new generation of cam-less engine. That’s right, electronically actuated valves. Not only will this give the HP version of the C6 infinite valve timing, but close-to, if not north-of 500hp. Cam-less engines have been used for years in circular piston aircraft engines where placement of a cam is impossible. Since publication-we’ve gotten wind that this cam-less engine may not be available at the start of production-despite the fact that Dave Hill has promised all 3 versions at the start. Snake tamer is one word we look forward to using with the C6. This little bit of engine information has already gotten close to 14 people fired from GM, and is one of the C6’s most closely guarded secrets.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Taken from http://www.gminsidenews.com/c6.htm

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Lisa Simpson

Re: Camless engine to appear in Corvette C6 (duandcc)

I have been wondering when we would see cam-less drives on the auto side....

4th Gear

Re: Camless engine to appear in Corvette C6 (duandcc)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>...electronically actuated valves<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can only surmise that the version of these used in the new C6 will be slightly less reliable (and less costly) than those used for aircraft.

Lets just hope that this C6 doesn't come with an interference engine...electronics do not like high heat levels. 500HP out of 5.7L is a noble goal, but thermal management (heat removal efficiency) will either make or break the new engine, IMHO.

2nd Gear

Re: Camless engine to appear in Corvette C6 (Electron Man)

I've been talking about this for years, I want to do it on my project car so badly. This will give new meaning to the art of 'chip'ing a car! With a computer controlled turbo/supercharger setup, it's possible to vary almost every aspect of the combustion process. Imagine being able to choose your power level, anywhere from 100-800hp! I'm drooling on the keyboard...

5th Gear

Re: Camless engine to appear in Corvette C6 (yellowltd)

wow, never knew the radial engines used a different mechanism for the valves. But it makes sense that a conventional cam cannot be utilized.
    I'm a little surprised that GM's actually doing this. Good for them. I recall about 2 years ago, BMW was talking about this too for automotive engines (solenoid activated valves) - I was expecting them to come out with it first!

4th Gear

Re: Camless engine to appear in Corvette C6 (HermanH)

There's probably a good reason BMW tabled the idea.

GM has a history of being first to market with technologies that are only ~70 percent refined.

I drove a 93 Buick LeSabre with GMs first attempt at ABS. They designed the front braking system with ~9.7" solid rotors (on a 4500lb car )...there was no way in hell the brakes were gonna lock up...they were way undersized for the weight of the car. (Typical GM)

Moderator Extraordinaire

Re: Camless engine to appear in Corvette C6 (Electron Man)

Interesting idea. Don't like the idea of using electrics though. What do Formula 1 engines use? Do they have cams? I'm pretty sure they don't use valve springs but air instead, but how do they actuate valves?

Decided to look for myself. The Peugeot and BMW engines use pneamuatic valves. Couldn't find out about any of the others.

<![CDATA[Interesting idea. Don't like the idea of using electrics though. What do Formula 1 engines use? Do they have cams? I'm pretty sure they don't use valve springs but air instead, but how do they actuate valves?

Decided to look for myself. The Peugeot and BMW engines use pneamuatic valves. Couldn't find out about any of the others.

[Modified by Urlik, 7:35 AM 8/13/2002]
    Original Club B5 member: 08 R32 & missing my 99 B5

Neutral

Re: Camless engine to appear in Corvette C6 (Urlik)

Some of you guys are a little hard on GM. They are at least willing to bring new technology to some of their cars. It might not always work perfectly and GM has plenty of flaws but they do seem to have balls for such a big company.

1st Gear

Re: Camless engine to appear in Corvette C6 (DTYSON)

I agree. This is a remarkable technology, and my hat goes off to GM!

The one weak area of a high revving engine is the valve train. Although I don't agree with the design to change from using a rod to push the valve, to solenoid that presses the valve.

It should be something cleaner. Remove the valve spring combination completely. Have the solenoid open and close the valve with out the negative spring pressure to close the valve.

Think if all the internal engine friction that goes away now that you don't need a cam shaft(s) and a timing chain !!! We are talking more HP!

5th Gear

Re: Camless engine to appear in Corvette C6 (jdubes)

to GM. Its about time.

12. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information