stray cats keep sleeping on my car .....
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    1st Gear

stray cats keep sleeping on my car .....

There are tons of stray cats in the area I live. At night they like to sleep on my black car, heat or whatever there reasons may be. I need to stop this crap because the scratch my paint and leave a nasty oil where they sleep. Any ideas on how to take care of this problem. I have no garage, and am willing to kill.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

1st Gear

Re: stray cats keep sleeping on my car ..... (scoreboard)

does anyone want to get rid of a passat car cover??

2nd Gear

Buy a car cover and glue/velcro mousetraps all over the the upper surfaces.

3rd Gear

Re: stray cats keep sleeping on my car ..... (Preussen)

This is kind of amusing - no offense!

Aren't there certain kinds of sprays that will deter cats? Obviously you'll want to see if this will affect the surface of your car first - but it might be worth investigating.

Otherwise the car cover might be the best route.

2nd Gear

Sung to the tune of "rain drops keep falling on my head...." I can't get it out of my head,
    so I figured I'd inflict it on everyone else

4th Gear

Just don't leave your windows open. My cat used to always sleep on my old Fox. I left the windows open one night and he decided to sleep in the back seat. I was in a hurry got in my car and was halfway to work when he woke up and meowed. I almost had a heart attack and had to drive back home and let him out.

A car cover is really your only option, unless someone has invented a "safe" alternative.

Jay

3rd Gear

Pee. Uhm... Urine, specifically.
    It works. I had (have), a cat that would climb up on my car and scratch the hell out of it.
    I pee'd in my driveways surrounding area. Keeps the cats, dogs too, away.
    Animals only understand boundaries, and pee is marker of yours/their boundaries... its really pretty simple... but highly effective. Just don't let the neighbors see you peeing on your bushes or theirs either!

There's also that nasty, highly volatile chemical stuff youcan spread out on your property. you buy it from hardware stores and such, and it's very expensive, and cannot go near it. Its bad stuff and I reccommend NOT getting it if you have kids.

Edit:
    Also, a car cover could work wonders!
    And possibly double as a scratch post for the cats, giving tem something their claws can get into!

<![CDATA[Pee. Uhm... Urine, specifically.
    It works. I had (have), a cat that would climb up on my car and scratch the hell out of it.
    I pee'd in my driveways surrounding area. Keeps the cats, dogs too, away.
    Animals only understand boundaries, and pee is marker of yours/their boundaries... its really pretty simple... but highly effective. Just don't let the neighbors see you peeing on your bushes or theirs either!

There's also that nasty, highly volatile chemical stuff youcan spread out on your property. you buy it from hardware stores and such, and it's very expensive, and cannot go near it. Its bad stuff and I reccommend NOT getting it if you have kids.

Edit:
    Also, a car cover could work wonders!
    And possibly double as a scratch post for the cats, giving tem something their claws can get into!

[Modified by Colin, 8:53 AM 7/11/2002]

3rd Gear
    Train as you fight, fight as your train...

Re: stray cats keep sleeping on my car ..... (Colin)

.22 rifle.....works wonders on stray cats....

4th Gear

I had cats wandering into my backyard which is really annoying (I'm not a cat person). Try sprinkling crushed egg shells around your car -- the cats really hate that because it gets in between their paws.
    You could also try spreading moth balls around your driveway -- dogs and cats hate that smell.

A car cover could also be a good investment since you don't have a garage.

3rd Gear

I thought The Stray Cats split up years ago. Didn't realise they'd hit such hard times.

<![CDATA[I thought The Stray Cats split up years ago. Didn't realise they'd hit such hard times.

[Modified by flying_scotsman, 10:03 AM 7/11/2002]

5th Gear

Re: stray cats keep sleeping on my car ..... (flying_scotsman)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I thought The Stray Cats split up years ago. Didn't realise they'd hit such hard times.

[Modified by flying_scotsman, 10:03 AM 7/11/2002]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

DAMMIT !! 40 minutes too late...Because I was kinda thinking..."Stray cats strut,I'm a ladies man"...

4th Gear

Re: stray cats keep sleeping on my car ..... (MeinPassat)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>.22 rifle.....works wonders on stray cats.... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Last time somebody suggest that, I got my nose all bent out of shape, so I will assume you are kidding and are't really that much of an ass...

Neutral

Re: stray cats keep sleeping on my car ..... (duandcc)

Calm down. I swear, people have no sense of humor!

I thought that comment was funny as hell!

Nate

3rd Gear

Re: stray cats keep sleeping on my car ..... (N8DAGRT)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Last time somebody suggest that, I got my nose all bent out of shape, so I will assume you are kidding and are't really that much of an ass...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No I'm sorry I really meant a 12 guage...that way you wont have much of a mess to clean up.....

No what I really meant was to get a Bear trap....now that will take care of that cat, and a odd car thief.....

Yea I was joking....lighten up a bit .....and I'm as much as a ass as you are......

Dan, still a Passat owner....

[Modified by MeinPassat, 2:43 PM 7/11/2002]

<![CDATA[<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Last time somebody suggest that, I got my nose all bent out of shape, so I will assume you are kidding and are't really that much of an ass...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No I'm sorry I really meant a 12 guage...that way you wont have much of a mess to clean up.....

No what I really meant was to get a Bear trap....now that will take care of that cat, and a odd car thief.....

Yea I was joking....lighten up a bit .....and I'm as much as a ass as you are......

Dan, still a Passat owner....

[Modified by MeinPassat, 2:43 PM 7/11/2002]

[Modified by MeinPassat, 3:52 PM 7/11/2002]

1st Gear

Don't know if this was mentioned or not, but we use moth balls to keep the cats out of the alleyway at work. Maybe you could find a way to hang a small sack of them someplace by the car -- it works great in the alley.

Pete

1st Gear

Re: stray cats keep sleeping on my car ..... (DippinPete)

thanks, i think ill try the urine trick then if that doesn't work the mothballs sounds good

2nd Gear

Re: stray cats keep sleeping on my car ..... (DippinPete)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Don't know if this was mentioned or not<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

read the thread

1st Gear

Re: stray cats keep sleeping on my car ..... (SLAB)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Don't know if this was mentioned or not

read the thread<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok - Ok - Hey! It just means I'm not the only person doing it!

1st Gear

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>.22 rifle.....works wonders on stray cats.... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

funny you mention this.. my dad just bought a pellet gun... same night he got it, he tagged a cat he'd never seen before. the next day the neighbors came over to warn us about a crazy person with a gun shooting cats, they almost had to take the kittie's leg off... oops. (cats should be indoor anyway, how can you enjoy having the damn thing as a pet if it's always gone )

btw: i love cats.. mine is an indoor...

Banned

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>.22 rifle.....works wonders on stray cats....

Last time somebody suggest that, I got my nose all bent out of shape, so I will assume you are kidding and are't really that much of an ass...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, since stray cats are an endagered species.

On Topic: Pee in a squirt bottle, and spray it around your car. I've read that cats won't come near the "marked" area anymore.

Neutral

Had the same problem. They used the ground under our sunroom for a litterbox.

They scratched the paint on the SUV.

The final straw was the smell of cat urine coming from the Jeeps AC vents.

Got a greyhound.

Had to pick up small bits of cat fur/skin a couple of times at first;

There hasn't been a sighting or sign of any cat (or squirrel for that matter) in the yard for 6 years now.

........Where's the cat?!......... Where's the cat?! .........Get the cat!! .........Good boy, here's your bone!

<![CDATA[Had the same problem. They used the ground under our sunroom for a litterbox.

They scratched the paint on the SUV.

The final straw was the smell of cat urine coming from the Jeeps AC vents.

Got a greyhound.

Had to pick up small bits of cat fur/skin a couple of times at first;

There hasn't been a sighting or sign of any cat (or squirrel for that matter) in the yard for 6 years now.

........Where's the cat?!......... Where's the cat?! .........Get the cat!! .........Good boy, here's your bone!

[Modified by blah, blah, blah...., 2:50 AM 7/12/2002]

Banned

Re: stray cats keep sleeping on my car ..... (blah, blah, blah....)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Got a greyhound. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What a great dog breed, good choice.

4th Gear

Re: stray cats keep sleeping on my car ..... (LitleDee032)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>.22 rifle.....works wonders on stray cats....

funny you mention this.. my dad just bought a pellet gun... same night he got it, he tagged a cat he'd never seen before. the next day the neighbors came over to warn us about a crazy person with a gun shooting cats, they almost had to take the kittie's leg off... oops. (cats should be indoor anyway, how can you enjoy having the damn thing as a pet if it's always gone )

btw: i love cats.. mine is an indoor...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm assuming your father is a decent person and did the right thing by making your brother confess and pay for all of the vet bills then allowing the cat's owners to shoot him in the leg for revenge/family honor...right? If not...HE'S AN ASS!

Edited to make the brother the bad guy, he's the one who shoots little kitties...

<![CDATA[<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>.22 rifle.....works wonders on stray cats....

btw: i love cats.. mine is an indoor...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm assuming your father is a decent person and did the right thing by making your brother confess and pay for all of the vet bills then allowing the cat's owners to shoot him in the leg for revenge/family honor...right? If not...HE'S AN ASS!

Edited to make the brother the bad guy, he's the one who shoots little kitties...

[Modified by duandcc, 4:34 AM 7/12/2002]

4th Gear

Re: stray cats keep sleeping on my car ..... (jwil)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>
    Yeah, since stray cats are an endagered species.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, but the CAN feel pain...YOU ASS!

3rd Gear

Dude....lighten up.......sit back.....

Stray cats are that, stray.....

This year I trapped 11 of them in and around my house....in a humane trap.

Turned them over to the Humane Shelter.....not one was adopted, all was destroyed...

Instead of venting your misplaced anger at others here, go and yell at the ASSES that let their cats and dogs run free and to those that dump animals when they don't want them.....then those of us that hate cats, would not have to put up with them....

You want to contuine this, Private Message me....I believe this has gone on long enough...

<![CDATA[Dude....lighten up.......sit back.....

Stray cats are that, stray.....

This year I trapped 11 of them in and around my house....in a humane trap.

Turned them over to the Humane Shelter.....not one was adopted, all was destroyed...

Instead of venting your misplaced anger at others here, go and yell at the ASSES that let their cats and dogs run free and to those that dump animals when they don't want them.....then those of us that hate cats, would not have to put up with them....

You want to contuine this, Private Message me....I believe this has gone on long enough...

[Modified by MeinPassat, 4:47 AM 7/12/2002]

4th Gear

Yes, owners should spay/neuter their pets or keep them inside but that is no excuse for animal cruelty. At least at the shelter they were put down in a pain free manner. (thank-you for doing the right thing ) Shooting a feral cat should be puhsihable with equal force. You shoot a cat, I get to shoot you. Hell, if somebody ever shoots my cat, trust me...I will kill them in the most hidiously painful way I can find (I've heard injections of air into a vein is a terribly painful way to die).

1st Gear

Dave,

I'm with you! People have to understand, the animal is just doing what is natural to it. Blame the people, not the animal. The animal did nothing to deserve being abused.

3rd Gear

Re: stray cats keep sleeping on my car ..... (flying_scotsman)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I thought The Stray Cats split up years ago. Didn't realise they'd hit such hard times.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ROTFLMAO

Please, do not hurt the cats. Cats can't stand citrus smells. Pour some citrus cleaner around your car.

3rd Gear

Re: stray cats keep sleeping on my car ..... (dapperdill)

Oh for the love of.........I was freaking kidding about shooting the cats people......I do not shoot the cats. I trap them, a trap that I had to spend my OWN money on, and I give them to the Humane shelter.....

I don't like them, in fact I hate cats, as well does my German Shepherd, but no cats were harmed during the typing of this post....

LIGHTEN UP fellows, go for a drive and calm down........

And yes for you flame me YET again, we had cats, and I still hate them....they were my wife's and we found good homes for them.......

[Modified by MeinPassat, 11:42 AM 7/12/2002]

<![CDATA[Oh for the love of.........I was freaking kidding about shooting the cats people......I do not shoot the cats. I trap them, a trap that I had to spend my OWN money on, and I give them to the Humane shelter.....

I don't like them, in fact I hate cats, as well does my German Shepherd, but no cats were harmed during the typing of this post....

LIGHTEN UP fellows, go for a drive and calm down........

And yes for you flame me YET again, we had cats, and I still hate them....they were my wife's and we found good homes for them.......

3rd Gear

[quietly walking out of this thread]

32. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information