Factory Warranties on salvage title cars?
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    1st Gear

Factory Warranties on salvage title cars?

Hello all,

I have a general auto question regarding factory warranties. If a car that is still under factory warranty milage/time allowances, and it is retitled as a 'salvage' title, is the warranty nullified? Or do the provision of the magnussen/moss warranty act still apply, where the manufacturer has to prove that whatever happened to the car is responsible for the failing item?

One scenario I'm looking at is where the car was rearended, nothing affected the drivetrain, then titled as a salvage. Would the factory 100K mile drivetrain still be valid/enforcable?

Thanks in advance for your useful advice!

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Salty Moderation Stylez
    I don't think the dealerships have the info of DMV (where it woul state) salvaged title, so unless the dealer knew the car from the accident or something like that you would probably be fine.
    -d

4th Gear
    Per VW limited warranty:
    The warranty does not cover vehicles severely damaged and/or declared a total loss by an insurer, vehicles subatantially reassembled or repaired from parts obtained from another vehicle previously in operation ...
    VW's warranty is a "limited warranty". The Magnussen/Moss act does not apply this case.

Moderator Extraordinaire
    My wife is a warranty administrator for Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep and Honda. The manufacturers get salvage title reports from the states (this info is also used to send recall letters to people who are not original owners of vehicles) and put the vehicle VIN on restriction for any warranty work once they have a salvage title. The dealership will not be able to file any warranty claims against the VIN.
    Original Club B5 member: 08 R32 & missing my 99 B5

Salty Moderation Stylez
    Quote Originally Posted by Urlik View Post
    My wife is a warranty administrator for Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep and Honda. The manufacturers get salvage title reports from the states (this info is also used to send recall letters to people who are not original owners of vehicles) and put the vehicle VIN on restriction for any warranty work once they have a salvage title. The dealership will not be able to file any warranty claims against the VIN.
    I sit corrected.

Moderator Extraordinaire
    My wife added that Chrysler WILL do safety recalls on salvage title vehicles. She's not sure about Honda since she hasn't seen it come up.
    Original Club B5 member: 08 R32 & missing my 99 B5

8. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information