Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

How to remove stuck wheel??

12K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  GMcHale 
#1 ·
I'm working on putting my snow tires on my passat, but my wheels are stuck on. I got all of the lug nuts out, but the god d*mn wheels are stuck on. I tried spraying some wd-40 around the centering hub to try to help break it free, but so far no luck...

Any ideas how to remove the d*mn wheels and prevent them from sticking in the future?

TIA

#5 ·
:mad: No luck, I hadn't though of sitting and kicking, makes sense, however they still will not budge. These suckers are stuck. I bet I could drive around the block without the lug nuts.

I broke the wheel removal tool last year, but I wouldn't mind having the tire fall on me as that would be progress. It's just been one of those weeks…

Any other ideas??

#7 ·
What kind of wheels are they? if there is space enough, try getting underneath the car and hitting the inside of the wheel with a hammer right next to mating surface with the hub, going around it. Or you can try a large rubber mallet from inside the wheel. If you have steel wheels and are adventurous, you could try heating the wheel next to the mating surface with the hub with a propane torch. Don't use WD-40, get "high performance penetrating lubricant" from Lowe's, and be sure not to get it on the rotors or pads. Oh, and don't try the last step before the torch or your a$$ will be on fire. Good luck :thumbup:

#10 ·
Put the lug bolts back in and leave them turned out about 2 turns. Put the car back on the ground and shake the shit out of the car. If that fails, slowly drive around your neighborhood. Only turning out the lug bolts two turns will still keep the wheel on the hub and won't damage anything. This is better then having the car fall off the jack from kicking too hard.

#11 ·
Finished!! After 2 days of kicking, spraying, waiting, dropping the car, spraying, kicking, etc, etc the wheels poped off. I put some copper based antiseeze on the mating surfaces, so hopefully that will make remove the snow tires in 4 months easier. God I don't want have to go thru that again, it sucked.

Thanks all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.