Hydroplaning 4Motion - Tire Suggestions??
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral
    North Carolina, USA 2001 GLX 4Motion - Silver

Hydroplaning 4Motion - Tire Suggestions??

It it common for a 4Motion Passat to hydroplane easily? I purchased this car used with Cooper Trendsetter SE tires with about 75% of their treadwear remaining. I originally intended to replace the tires, as they're not performance tires, but I was so impressed with the handling that I decided to keep them. However, the car has hydroplaned several times this week on the interstate in heavy downpours. I don't know if it has anything to do with the 4Motion, but it seems to easily hydroplane over 50mph, I've noticed several times that it feels disconnected from the road, and when I applied the brakes, the ABS went wild for a few seconds before the car began to stop. This is really confusing for me, as the Cadillac that I have driven for the past 9 years has never hydroplaned on me, even at 75mph in a downpour. My Cadillac weighs 3500 lbs and has 215/65R15 tires, so the Passat is about the same weight, but the tires are a little wider, but I didn't expect it to make that much of a difference. Is this something that is common for 4Motion Passats, or is it just that I have tires with an extremely poor tread design for hydroplaning resistance? If so, does anyone have recomendations for a good high performance tire that won't hydroplane every time we get a heavy downpour? I've been considering the Continental Extreme contact, but I have no experience with them.
    Thanks,
    Phil

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

wst
    3rd Gear
    Stock tires on passats are horrible for rain. Replace them. I have the hydroplaning problem all the time (I am 2wd though). I can never start quickly or stop quickly or I will lose traction.

4th Gear
    In any case you should opt for better tires.
    Generally aquaplaning can occure if your rear tires are in worst shape than front ones (rear is lighter than front), also if they are deflated (rule of thumb is saying- better to have tires over inflated than deflated).

1st Gear
    I had coopers on a Jeep grand Cherokee, I drove the car for 50K and the tires were barely worn, but they were completely useless in the slightest bit of standing water and my jeep weighed over 2 tons. Bottom line is that the car will be fine with some good tires. Coopers are the tire to buy if you are at the end of you r lease and turning the car in.......other than that they should be left to the buick centurys and olds cierras of the world.

1st Gear
    Michelin Hydroedge. Or Goodyear Assurance Triple-tread. 80K warranty and both designed for wet roads.

3rd Gear
    Ultra High Performance Bridgestone Potenza S03's work for me.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...ay.jsp?type=MP

Check it out for Max performance summer tires.

Neutral
    do the 4-motions have the same suspension issues that the front drive ones have? if so, it could also be a sign of bad/worn tie rod ends or control arm issues-- as well as the tires.

Neutral

wet weather tires

Try Dunlop SP9000. Great in the wet. Very good in the dry, but great in the wet.

g2
    Neutral
    You can add the Bridgestone Potenza RE950 on your shopping list, I have been really impressed with their handling in the wet and particularly with hydroplaning.

I looked at the Cooper's tread http://www.coopertire.com/us/en/Prod...assenger&id=40
    and it doesn't really have a direct path for water to evacuate from the middle to the side of the tire - that surely doesn't help. Compare this to a unidirectional tire like the RE950 http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....=Potenza+RE950
    and you see the difference.

4th Gear
    DUNLOP SP9000 or SP 9090

Neutral
    so, do 4-motions have the same suspension issues, or not?? anybody?

PZ
    Redline
    Quote Originally Posted by itspepper
    so, do 4-motions have the same suspension issues, or not?? anybody?
    Yes,the front suspension is identical.

Neutral
    The Tire Rack has extensive tire ratings. If you are looking at summer only tires, the Goodyear Eagle GS-D3, Michelin Pilot Sport 2, and the Dunlop SP 9000 are highly rated in the wet. I have the GS-D3's in a wide 235/45/17 size and was amazed how stable and grippy the tires were at 75 in a downpour. I didn't wan't to go any faster because of vision issues, but hydroplaning was not an issue on my 4-motion. For all season tires, look at their ratings here: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...jsp?type=UHPAS

Neutral
    North Carolina, USA 2001 GLX 4Motion - Silver
    Thanks for all the advice, I definitely see 4 new tires in the near future. I'm considering the Dunlop SP9000's that were mentioned here, and I had a good experience with some SP7000's on another car, so I trust them. I'm also considering the the Bridgestone Potenza RE950 mentioned earlier, as well at the Pirelli Pzero Nero, they rate really well on the Tire Rack website. They were the stock tires on the Saab 9-3 Vector that I was considering before buying the Passat, and they handled incredibly on the Saab. Anyone tried them on a Passat yet?

Thanks for all the info,
    Phil

4th Gear
    Whoa, it's time to replace those tires. If your tires aren't distributing water evenly at 50MPH, that a terrible sign.. Now here's a question for you.. Are you looking for an Ultra High Performance Summer Tire or a High Performance All-Season Tire!

The Coopers you were riding on are absolutely terrible when it comes to the rain. After reading the posts, quite a few people recommended some excellent Summer Performance Tires, but remember that these tires don't give you alot of miles and aren't meant for driving in light snow. You might want to try the Toyo Proxes 4's, which are a great performance All-Season tire. They handle the rain like a champ, and perform almost as well as my Summer Toyo T1-S on the track.

Before buying, do a little more research. Summer or All-Season???

17. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information