Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

VAG Guys Tail of the Dragon Rally 2014

74K views 648 replies 24 participants last post by  TheColoradoRed 
#1 · (Edited)
Real time view of Dragon entrance (if timestamp is old, refresh your browser)

Link to countdown timer

Confirmed Friday, October 3rd through Sunday, October 5th 2014 in Robbinsville, NC

Dinner Friday and Saturday, breakfast Saturday and Sunday. Accommodations Friday and Saturday night in Robbinsville, NC at rented house with garage game room.

Play at the Tail Saturday and Sunday mornings, other area circuits for balance of Saturday. Drive in from Asheville rendez-vous over highest point on Blue Ridge Parkway (6,000 ft) Friday afternoon.

Figure $200 for pillow, grub and 10 hi-res photos from the professional Tail photographers (we can pool our orders to get super discount.) Pitch in for beer and snacks. Bring cash for lunches and drinks on the road. Whatever you will need for fuel, YMMV.

Anyone interested?

2014 Slayers:
  1. Keith (keithwbloom) — Deposit Received
  2. James (R36Dreams) — Deposit Received
  3. Jay (JaytheSnork) — Deposit Received
  4. Aaron (TheColoradoRed) — Deposit Received
  5. Steve (in Chicago) — Deposit Received
  6. Matt (99blackmagic) — Deposit Received
  7. Emil (gpassat03) — Deposit Received
  8. John (DerhsLacidar) — Deposit Received
  9. Dan (VAGGuy) — Deposit Received
  10. ?

Our numbers have swelled to more than 8, so I have moved our reservation to The Ridge, the larger property with the detached 30x50 garage game room, that easily sleeps 10+ (this is the property James and I stayed in Saturday night.) Though it is not as nice, it is still clean, dry and comfortable. There is easily parking at The Ridge for a dozen cars. It is fenced and gated. Think compound.

A link to The Ridge.

318/11

See less See more
#227 ·
Aaron and I were planning on driving down on Thursday to the Blacksburg area. Bayse to Blacksburg is about 175 miles. I could give up 3 hrs of travel on one day for a place to stay overnight...and I'm sure Aaron could as well... any good places to eat near there? if there are beds available, I'm game!

#228 ·
Jay, if we're planning, I'm recommending Sal's. Sal's Bistro

It's a few exits north on I-81 and one of the main reasons I drag down there. It's about a 20 minute drive back to the house from there. On the way there is a large Sheetz convenience store for refuel, snacks, whatever.

#231 ·
Jay is my logistical proxy. I don't have a preference as to where we stay when, all I know is that we'll be doing a bulk of the driving on Thursday as to be able to enjoy The Tail more on Friday. Which is good, because that Friday is my birthday and I don't want to spend the whole day driving.

Also, have I mentioned lately how excited I am?

#237 ·
We're good on space for extras since we shifted back to Ridge. And we'll be easier on everyone's wallet too, with plenty of parking to boot.

:wrench:

#238 ·
I has an appointment to get all new suspension bits installed on Cabrio two days before Tail Odyssey. PSS9s, Hotchkiss RS4 RSB, 034 AUCAs and all new Meyle HD control arms and TREs in front (less UCAs).

I also found some ancient non-high capacity 4GB SD cards that I have been loading with road tunes so I can have at least 8GB of MP3-based playlists at any one time. :rockband:

How are everyone else's whips coming along?

#240 ·
the only possible maintenance I'm planning is a new alternator. this one has 190k on it - prolly a good idea to change it out before the trip.

might change my 710 and N75, as well. well, I might do my rear brakes too. ;)

#241 ·
Mine is finally on the road and I'm putting miles on it to flush out the old gas and break in the engine. I fixed a major rain water leak Sunday (rear drivers side door regulator seal). Next I've got to dive into the CCM harness and get any corroded splices sorted out. I've got a Greddy EBC on order. I'm going to need new rubber before the trip. These tires have seen two seasons of abuse and are practically slicks.

It's not the destination, It's the journey.

#243 ·
Did some shopping this morning, picked up an extra GoPro battery, dual battery charger, extra 32GB SDHC card, and a head strap mount (for true driver's eyes perspective).

Might need to get another battery, and possibly a second GoPro. :whistle:

#248 ·
I have been converting all my best playlists from iTunes to mp3 format so they will work on RNS-E SD cards. 10-year old technology, and not the latest and greatest by any stretch, but it is cool to be able to put several hours of music on one 4GB card, and the head unit has two slots. It uses the older SD (not SDHC) format, so the cards are maxed out at 4 GB.

Funny thing though, when I went shopping for them on egghead.com the only place I could find four gigabyte SD cards that were not SDHC, all of the comments were from Audi owners who used them in their B7 audio systems. ;-)

#254 ·
new rear brakes are coming tomorrow, as well as the new diverter valve. going to try to get the new brakes, the DV, and new inner and outer tie rods done this weekend. alignment will follow on Monday. next weekend will be new brake fluid. after that, I'm pretty much ready...

#255 ·
Trying to go still. Won't be driving as neither of mine feel up to the task of merely driving there and back.....

#256 ·
My friend Scott from L.A. (pro shooter) has had to bow out because of work schedule as well, so I have a seat open if you want to ride shotgun for all or part of the way and take rollers of the other drivers.

:cool:

On another note, I realized I need new front discs and pads, so I'll be ordering those today and getting them on sometime next week. Also need all new rubber, but I haven't sold either Porsche Cups or AD Cups, so looks like I will be rewrapping the OE S4 BBS 18x8.5s with 235/40ZR18 Michelin Pilot Super Sports.

#257 ·
I ordered a set of 225/40R-18 Bridgestone Potenza RE-11 XL today. Then set up an appointment for mounting, balancing and alignment this Sunday. Over the weekend I hope to find time enough to install some new shiny bits. I need to replace my electric oil pressure gauge with a mechanical gauge. I need to install and set up an electronic boost controller.

#258 ·
I ordered a set of 225/40R-18 Bridgestone Potenza RE-11 XL today.
You are so going to love those shoes. Having driven the DWs and the RE-11s, it's no contest. But the Bridgstones are über soft compound for a daily tire, 200 wear rating.

Two words for TOTD smiles... Tire dust.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.