Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

VAG Guys Tail of the Dragon Rally 2014

74K views 648 replies 24 participants last post by  TheColoradoRed 
#1 · (Edited)
Real time view of Dragon entrance (if timestamp is old, refresh your browser)

Link to countdown timer

Confirmed Friday, October 3rd through Sunday, October 5th 2014 in Robbinsville, NC

Dinner Friday and Saturday, breakfast Saturday and Sunday. Accommodations Friday and Saturday night in Robbinsville, NC at rented house with garage game room.

Play at the Tail Saturday and Sunday mornings, other area circuits for balance of Saturday. Drive in from Asheville rendez-vous over highest point on Blue Ridge Parkway (6,000 ft) Friday afternoon.

Figure $200 for pillow, grub and 10 hi-res photos from the professional Tail photographers (we can pool our orders to get super discount.) Pitch in for beer and snacks. Bring cash for lunches and drinks on the road. Whatever you will need for fuel, YMMV.

Anyone interested?

2014 Slayers:
  1. Keith (keithwbloom) — Deposit Received
  2. James (R36Dreams) — Deposit Received
  3. Jay (JaytheSnork) — Deposit Received
  4. Aaron (TheColoradoRed) — Deposit Received
  5. Steve (in Chicago) — Deposit Received
  6. Matt (99blackmagic) — Deposit Received
  7. Emil (gpassat03) — Deposit Received
  8. John (DerhsLacidar) — Deposit Received
  9. Dan (VAGGuy) — Deposit Received
  10. ?

Our numbers have swelled to more than 8, so I have moved our reservation to The Ridge, the larger property with the detached 30x50 garage game room, that easily sleeps 10+ (this is the property James and I stayed in Saturday night.) Though it is not as nice, it is still clean, dry and comfortable. There is easily parking at The Ridge for a dozen cars. It is fenced and gated. Think compound.

A link to The Ridge.

318/11

See less See more
#2 ·
In! It'll give me time to get the B5 the way I want it and time to schmooze the wife

#3 ·
Tell her we named the event after you (even though we didn't — so don't be thinking you get a throne at the dinner table or something.) :p

Reactions: VAGguy
#4 ·
Before I saw this thread, I posted in your one that just closed. I'd love to be able to make it, but will be out the 4th weekend of Sept. My daughter turns 10 and doesn't care about dragons ;)

Before or after should work for me, if at all possible.

regardless, sub'd

#14 ·
I'm in. This timeline gives me plenty of time to a) Take the time off from work and b) Install some suspension goodies in the WRX (coilovers, STI sway bars, strut brace, etc).

This is a 'VAG Guys' event. I don't have a VW/Audi anymore, but that doesn't make me any less of a VAG guy ;)

I can roll down with Jay and/or any other New Englanders.

#23 ·
Fair warning: The 27th-29th appears to fall on H2Oi weekend again. IMHO, if you would choose that over this, you're probably not the "Tail" type. :nerd:
Clearly, you have not done the full h2oi experience. Most of us go not for the show (actually have not been to the show itself in years) but to see our friends from all over the country that congregate on OCMD for that long weekend. There is no way I can miss h2o, it's like a giant week long family reunion. While i would absolutely love to do TOTD (and most here can confirm I am most definitely the "tail" type) I guess I will just have to find another time to go.

#25 ·
Got the pm, just wasn't sure why you would try and schedule on the same dates as THE premier VW/Audi event of the year and expect a bunch of Vw/Audi guys to show up. Actually, I think it was just that one comment that got me a bit butthurt. Not lashing at you, just trying to explain why I will NOT miss h2o.

#35 · (Edited by Moderator)
Confirmed 3rd through 5th of October 2014

Discussion over. Confirmed for the nights of 3rd and 4th of October, 2014 at The Point, with an option for The Ridge if our numbers are high. Right now looks like 8 are interested. Reservations will require a $50 deposit which will only be refundable if your slot is refilled.

Send your Paypal to me at keithwbloom at gmail dot com. Don't leave out the 'w' in keithwbloom, it happens all the time.

First come first serve for 10 spaces, after that it will be roll-away bunks for next 2-3 and then wait list.

Start your engines.

:lightsaber:

#36 ·
thanks for the PM-approval from wifey, check. paypal on the way as soon as the app downloads.

Edit: PP Sent

#38 ·
I got some fixin to do! My poor 99 has been neglected for years. Time to shop control arms, timing belt, not sure what else.

#39 ·
Since we all have a year to get our cars sorted for next October, I would highly recommend stiffer springs and good/great shocks. Overall, in order of importance, I would say you should consider:
  1. suspension components — stiffer and not much lower than stock height (maybe 20-30mm drop), control arms and TREs in excellent/very good condition, sport/HD dampers, a rear sway bar solution and possibly a beefier front sway bar
  2. suspension components — I list it twice to make sure you are paying attention
  3. sticky rubber — doesn't have to be $$$, Sumi HTR-Zs are reasonable (<$95 per in most Passat sizes) and worth the investment
  4. good brakes — doesn't have to be BBK, just good pads and discs in good condition
  5. power mods — you are in second and third gear almost exclusively through the 11 miles (14 with run-up from Fugitive Bridge), so low-end torque is WAY more important than peak HP
Funny thing is I was commenting to James on our way back from NC that setting my S4 up for the Tail and surrounding roads is easily going to become my new obsession. To set up for the Tail means you are setting up to be a proper road car — to handle well, settle quickly and respond to driver input through the best configuration possible.

:wrench:

#40 ·
I have to repost this here just because it is soooo flippin' cool...

Thanks for the deposits guys. We're already halfway to no vacancy on The Point.

Reactions: R36Dreams
#48 ·
I has PSS9s and IMHO, they were barely up to the task with the stock front sway. I would go with a beefier front sway with PSS9s, or any coil setup for that matter. The quick transitions in lead-in esses and chicanes got the body elevated and somewhat unsettled which often resulted in my tires rubbing the fender liners on tight switchbacks once the weight rolled to the outside corner.

:wrench:

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#43 · (Edited)
I'll probably be in the back because I'm paranoid and don't drive that crazy that from from home base.

#52 ·
I'll probably be in the back bacuase I'm paranoid and don't drive that crazy that from from home base.
You will drive it cautious the first run. Then the dragon lust comes on full bore and you have to consciously hold back because you can easily get carried away.

Never have I had as much fun driving my car at such modest speeds.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.