amber running light on when brake pedal depressed
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

amber running light on when brake pedal depressed

It seems that my 99 V6 B5 is having minor (?) electrical problems... I'm going thru bulbs like crazy... as many others are, and now when the brake pedal is depressed the amber light on the drivers side goes on... anyone else have this gremlin?

Thanks for the input!

99 Silver V6 :

<![CDATA[It seems that my 99 V6 B5 is having minor (?) electrical problems... I'm going thru bulbs like crazy... as many others are, and now when the brake pedal is depressed the amber light on the drivers side goes on... anyone else have this gremlin?

Thanks for the input!

99 Silver V6 :

[Modified by omegaman, 2:25 AM 12/5/2002]

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

1st Gear

Re: amber running light on when brake pedal depressed (omegaman)

Wow!

Someone else with this problem. I just noticed this today when I came to a stop behind a shiny vehicle. My front left turn signal came on when I hit the brake pedal. The other blinkers on the circuit don't come on (side marker, rear) and the light functions normally when blinkers are on.

This is really strange. Did you get it resolved? Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Neutral

Re: amber running light on when brake pedal depressed (chunky)

Nope, still a mystery... does make me feel better (although not pleased) knowing I'm not alone... Mine is a 99 V6 with Tip... it seems to go thru bulbs like mad... but that seems normal (?!). If I ever get it resolved I'll let you know.... if you do, let me know.

Thanks for the reply!
    omegaman

1st Gear

Well, I seem to have solved half the problem... If you can call that a solution.

This is what happened:

1) Tail light out --> changed to P21W
    2) Told that it was still out... Ignored it.
    3) Started to notice front turn signal come on when brake applied.
    4) Today, changed the rear tail light to proper P215W.
    5) Good news. front light doesn't come on anymore. Turn signals still work as normal.

Bad news -
    1) front light doesn't come on with the parking lights
    2) Tail light still doesn't come on.

???? I think our electrical systems are possessed~!~

My mechanic mentioned to check grounding of all circuits. Sometimes, a bad ground in one of the circuits, that causes one circuit to draw from another? Haven't had a chance to check this out yet. Hope this info helps?! Any other suggestions are welcome.

Neutral

I had replaced the brake light/tail light recently too... I'll take a look when I get home and see what kind of bulb it is... geez... what a pain... I've never heard of anything like this.. so strange. I'll keep you posted if anything works.

1st Gear

Yah, let me know how yours turns out. I just did some more digging.

Looks like my whole left side parking light circuit is gone. When I turn on the lights, right side lights up, but left side ... nothing. Even with brand new bulbs in front and rear. Turn signals work fine. Rear brake light also lights up under braking, so the 2nd filament appears to be working in the bulbs. It seems to be something with the parking light circuit???

Strange?!

2nd Gear

Anybody do the rear fog mod as well? I had similar problems after the rear fog mod. I checked for any bad grounds and could not find any so i took it into the dealer and they found some kind of short in the main connection to the euroswitch. They fixed it and now all is good. I think the bad ground might be a good start.
    Good Luck
    Rob

Neutral

My '98 was doing the same thing a while back. I thought I was the only one with this problem. I had my side markers and lights though. The right amber running light just came on with the pedal depressed. I took mine to a local mechanic and he fixed it. I'll try to check with him to see what the problem was, and how he corrected it.

Neutral

Re: amber running light on when brake pedal depressed (denny)

Thanks Denny,

I'd love to know what your mechanic says... please check and let us know.

omegaman

Neutral

Re: amber running light on when brake pedal depressed (MtnVariant)

No mods on mine... this may be obvious, but what's a euroswitch?

1st Gear

Yah, denny, if you could ask your mechanic, that would be great! Hopefully, he could shed some light, or even point in the direction for us to look.

ps. I don't have a euro-switch either. in fact, never touched the lighting system at all (other than bulb changes, that is)

keep us posted!

Neutral

Sorry...I haven't been able to talk to my mechanic yet. My wife and I have been house hunting. I will try this weekend. Again, sorry for the delay.

Neutral

I don't know if that is gonna help you guys but on my old 92 Passat I had the same behavior. If the tail light bulb was burned out the amber (turn signal) light would come on while pressing the brake. To make it even worse the rest of the brake lights in the back would stay on permanently (you could burn all the bulbs and melt the housing if you left the bulb unchanged). The fix - check the tail bulbs, some of them might have two filaments.

3rd Gear

Re: amber running light on when brake pedal depressed (IJanek)

I've had this same thing happen on two different cars. One was a Jeep Comanche and the other was my Town Car.

On the Jeep when you pressed the brake pedal all the parking lights would come on and go off when you released the brake pedal. The problem turned out to be inside the dual filament bulb in one of the tail lights. One filament had fallen against the other and made an electrical connection.

On the Town Car the left front turn signal would flash the parking light instead of the brighter turn signal. Turned out to be the same thing.

Try replacing your left front turn signal bulb as this might be your problem.

Neutral

Re: amber running light on when brake pedal depressed (denny)

I'm still having the annoying problem with the tail lights... I replaced the upper left (tail light) bulb (again) and it seems to keep blowing that 5A fuse... and the left turn signal light still comes on when brake pedal is down... have you figured out your problem?

Neutral

Just found this thread under "tail light" search-- the topic is "*Passenger side tail light and corner light behaving oddly"

Can't figure out how to post the post so I just copied the thread:

-------

had this exact problem. then i started switching bulbs around and my taillight would light when i braked and my brake light was on with the headlights. this only occured with the one side.

here's my recommendation: replace all the lights in the rear housing with BRAND NEW BULBS. then see if this helps. if not, replace the front corner light with a BRAND NEW BULB.

this exact remedy fixed my situation.

please report back.

---todd
    _______

looks like I'm going to VW Santa Monica on Monday and getting a bunch of new bulbs to replace the whole left side (excluding the headlights)... I'll let you know how it goes...
    --omegaman

<![CDATA[Just found this thread under "tail light" search-- the topic is "*Passenger side tail light and corner light behaving oddly"

Can't figure out how to post the post so I just copied the thread:

-------

had this exact problem. then i started switching bulbs around and my taillight would light when i braked and my brake light was on with the headlights. this only occured with the one side.

here's my recommendation: replace all the lights in the rear housing with BRAND NEW BULBS. then see if this helps. if not, replace the front corner light with a BRAND NEW BULB.

this exact remedy fixed my situation.

please report back.

---todd
    _______

looks like I'm going to VW Santa Monica on Monday and getting a bunch of new bulbs to replace the whole left side (excluding the headlights)... I'll let you know how it goes...
    --omegaman

[Modified by omegaman, 12:07 AM 2/23/2003]

Neutral

happened to me a few years back. I had changed my brake light and as bad as this sounds I put it in the wrong hole. Ended blowing some other bulbs so I bought all new ones and paid attention to where these bulbs go since there are some empty slots for bulbs and that fixed the front corner from coming on when I brake.

19. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information