Trying to run a 4 gauge wire thru the firewall......
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    1st Gear

Trying to run a 4 gauge wire thru the firewall......

I did a search and it came up with 1 topic that didn't help.

Heres my dilema. I have a 4gauge power wire that I have to run thru the firewall. I don't want it anywhere near the ECU!

Today I took the lower interior panel thats under the steering wheel and I found 1 rubber grommet above the clutch and ran the wire. I didn't like how close it was to steering rack so that wont work.

Is there anything under the pasenger side?

I was working on it for about 2 hours with a friend thats a mechanic at a local VW dealer and we came up with nothing. I don't want to drill any holes either.

Please help me I really want to get this done ASAP.Pics would help alot!

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

1st Gear

Re: Trying to run a 4 gauge wire thru the firewall...... (passaturbonium)

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec.html

I just found this link and they tell you to run it thru the ECU ......also notice the "cut V shape on top of the ECU box", isn't that where the water drips down when it rains .................anyone?

3rd Gear

You can run the power wire through a plug that goes through the water resevoir compartment. If you do that make sure to put some RTV in there to completely seal the hole and keep the water out. There should be a link somewhere on here that talks about where to go through. I know someone made it. Just give it time and someone will chime in with that link.

Banned

I think that the only way to run any wires is through the ECU. I was able to run my boost gauge line(which is a 1/4"-inner rubber hose) without any issues. I ran the line up thought the driver foot well, around the relays and fuses, and then up to the ECU. I then took the hose, and ran it right out the front of the rubber grommet on the ECU cables, going down to the other electronics. You will see that huge rubber lookin hose. Right above that, there is a nipple that you can cut into. I used that to run my boost gauge. I then ran the hose though a hole that i drilled, neat the coolant tank. BUT, since it sounds like your running amp wires, all you then need to do is run it down the inner side of the battery area and try to use zip ties to sucure things. If you need to get into the engine part, there are other rubber grommets that are located near the airbox, up and to the right some. Thats an easy, clean location. If you have ?'s, IM or email me.

2nd Gear

There is a small triangular grommet on the engine side of the firewall near the top about 8" left of the ECU. I ran my 0 gauge through there but I did have to make it a bit more circular with the Dremel so I could add a proper grommet to the hole. IIRC, it should be large enough for a 4 gauge.

Of course, now that I think about it, you guys have probably already looked at that spot I decided it didn't work for you.

Why don't you want to drill? I know I didn't want to drill either because I was afraid I might mistakenly drill through the firewall into something important! I did want the spot that it did enter the car to be up fairly high on the firewall for moisture reasons and I wanted it close to the battery since 0 gauge isn't the easiest to run through a car. I figured this spot was the best compromise and if I ever have to return the car to stock, I already have a black rubber hole plug to fit that spot.

1st Gear

Re: Trying to run a 4 gauge wire thru the firewall...... (JokerPassat)

JokerPassat - read carefully---I ran my wire thru there initialy and trid sealing it (very tight area) and it worked fine for about 3 years. About a year into it I noticed water under my driver seat. So I sealed it again, which BTW is almost imposible. Anyhow I sealed it again and it was fine. About a year ago I started having electrical problems, no interior lights ect. so I brought it to the dealer, they said I need a new control module thats under the seat. SO of course I didn;t let them do the job cause I dont trust them. Got my car back and the lights warked so I thougth no problem. The other day my light started diming. Next thig you know yesterday I go in my car the lights are out and the car wont start. The module box under my seat keeps on clicking. So I pop started it since its a 5speed (thank god) and today I took the seat out and lifted the carpet. About 5-6 cups of water (well about 6 squeezes out of an absorber) down there , I also dried the carpet etc , took the box out and it looks like its OK , BTW it was sealed very tightly. But I think my wires are corroded and might have to purchase new. I redid the ground since it was really bad and things seems to work OK for now. But I would deffinetely not recommend that spot!!!! THat plug will never come off of there again. No matter how good I thing its sealed.

For the rest, thanks alot for suggestions I'll take a look at it tommorow and if I have any issues I'll IM you. I really appreciate your responses!!!

Ohh yea BTW dealer lied and sorry for spelling.....

<![CDATA[JokerPassat - read carefully---I ran my wire thru there initialy and trid sealing it (very tight area) and it worked fine for about 3 years. About a year into it I noticed water under my driver seat. So I sealed it again, which BTW is almost imposible. Anyhow I sealed it again and it was fine. About a year ago I started having electrical problems, no interior lights ect. so I brought it to the dealer, they said I need a new control module thats under the seat. SO of course I didn;t let them do the job cause I dont trust them. Got my car back and the lights warked so I thougth no problem. The other day my light started diming. Next thig you know yesterday I go in my car the lights are out and the car wont start. The module box under my seat keeps on clicking. So I pop started it since its a 5speed (thank god) and today I took the seat out and lifted the carpet. About 5-6 cups of water (well about 6 squeezes out of an absorber) down there , I also dried the carpet etc , took the box out and it looks like its OK , BTW it was sealed very tightly. But I think my wires are corroded and might have to purchase new. I redid the ground since it was really bad and things seems to work OK for now. But I would deffinetely not recommend that spot!!!! THat plug will never come off of there again. No matter how good I thing its sealed.

For the rest, thanks alot for suggestions I'll take a look at it tommorow and if I have any issues I'll IM you. I really appreciate your responses!!!

Ohh yea BTW dealer lied and sorry for spelling.....

[Modified by passaturbonium, 10:15 PM 11/30/2002]

2nd Gear

FWIW, I've had no water enter due to my placement of my power wire.

The seal through my grommet is so tight I had to apply a little soapy water just to get the wire through.

3rd Gear

Re: Trying to run a 4 gauge wire thru the firewall...... (Bonthron)

not only should you not run it through the ECU for water reasons but just as importantly (if not more) the fact that the magnetic field produced by the large amount of current flowing through the wire can damage sensitive electrical devices like the ECU. i used to tell every single person who asked this but i stopped because i was sick of people telling me i didnt know what i was talking about....i only do it EVERY DAY!!!
    so anyway to all their own, i dont care who says i dont know what i'm talking about, i've only seen it with my own eyes...

and fyi, what i did was simply drill a hole through the firewall near where the A/C piping enters the car on the left side of the battery. then just seal it up with some silicone and you'll be fine.

2nd Gear

Here's the pic of where my 0 gauge is running throught the firewall:

2nd Gear

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Here's the pic of where my 0 gauge is running throught the firewall:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN!!!!!!!!!!

1st Gear

Thanks alot, I'll try that spot. Did you put silicone on it?

2nd Gear

In my opinion, silicone would not be necessary on my install because the seal is so tight already to begin with. The grommet is tight in the firewall and the wire is tight in the grommet. To feed the 16' of this through from the engine compartment to the interior, I was pulling on the interior side while I had a friend pushing and lubing the cable with a bit of soapy water on the engine side. The cable was coming out dry on my on my side from the squeegee effect.

If you were to utilize the factory triangular grommet and run your wire through it, then you may need some silicone. My grommet was designed for a cable and is about .375" thick. The stock triangular one is pretty thin.

3rd Gear

Wow, I didn't know that it could only be run in certain places. I hope Circuit City put mine in the right place (Im sure they didn't). They probably just did the easiest place. I also have 4 gauge, I will go check later where it is.

15. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information