My alarm keeps going off for no reason!!!!!
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    1st Gear

My alarm keeps going off for no reason!!!!!

ok, i'll lock my car, and it doesn't beep. Then a little while later the factory alarm just starts going off. So then i unlock then i'll lock the car again, No beep AGAIN. So then a little while later then the alarm just starts going off again.

Then sometimes when i lock the car, the horn will beep. When the horn beeps, i never have problems with the alarm going on for no reason at all.

So all in all. When i lock the car and i get the horn beep, the car is fine.
    But when i lock the car and the car doesn't beep, the alarm just suddenly starts going off whether its 2 min. later or 4 hours later. It started going of yesterday morning at liek 4 A.M. for no reason at all.

I just replaced the trrunk microswitch cause i thought that that would solve the problem, but it didn't.

What else could it be??????????

I put a new one of these in...

Thanks
    Joe

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

1st Gear

Re: My alarm keeps going off for no reason!!!!! (99passatgls)

i've had that happen before.. i was playin golf and i put my golf shoes on and put my kicks in the back seat, opened the trunk, locked the car, and it doesn't beep because the trunk is ajar. and if you leave it open for long enough, atleast mine, it goes off. maybe you should check the trunk switch because if the switch is shot, and ithe trunk is closed the computer will think the trunk is open and after between 15-30 seconds it will sound the alarm.. happens to me.. its a security circuit and sounds to me like its the switch.. untill recently wheni was doin my DIY homelink mod, i never realsized how smart our cars really are... soo many circuits put in place to add security. its sweet.. anyways.. hope this helps and you figure it out soon, must really agrivate you..

Brent

5th Gear

Welcome to the club. This is a chronic problem affecting quite a few people here. I've had this happen to me only during the winter months. Unfortunately it could be any of a million things. If there is a wire loose anywhere on the car & the alarm is activated, it will go off. So you're best way of detecting the source of the issue is to go overhaul the entire wiring of the car. And even then, you may not find it. Like I said this happens to me during the colder months. my theory is that the cold temps makes the wiring constrict (kinda like the way telephone wires seem to get more contracted (shorter) duirng the winter & looser during the summer). Thus a wire may not be making 100% contact. Fortunately, our alarms are weak as shit so it doesnt wake anyone up anyway. I'm seriously considering taking the thing off all together & re-installing the Clifford I got in my garage.

3rd Gear

Not funny but my '98 used to do that every time I wash it at night. The following day the alarm will go almost all day long. And as you've all guessed we cannot duplicate at the dealer. So I stopped washing it at night and it went away.

After a year, I washed it at night and expecting the same fail to happen again but lo and bejold, it fixed itself. It's been almost 4 years and it has not happened again.

It is the beauty of owning a fine piece of German machinery.

3rd Gear

Re: My alarm keeps going off for no reason!!!!! (BoeserBlick)

i think it's more likely a switch than an actual wiring issues. generally VW does a great job of wiring. my bet is that it's one of the door "pins" - unfortunately they're built into the locking mechanism so it will be a pain to trouble shoot. i'll try to get you guys some info on what wires are what and maybe those with some elec. knowledge could trouble shoot it and it would save you some time. i'll get it from work today

5th Gear

Re: My alarm keeps going off for no reason!!!!! (powerslide23)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Not funny but my '98 used to do that every time I wash it at night. The following day the alarm will go almost all day long. And as you've all guessed we cannot duplicate at the dealer.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ditto

6th Gear

Re: My alarm keeps going off for no reason!!!!! (BoeserBlick)

Here's yet another theory: There's this thing called a "Comfort Control Module" (CCM) , presumably a microprocessor-based logic box. I gather that is monitors things like lighting, door and trunk locks, and of course, the alarm. It appears to have a tendency to failure, or maybe it just needs to be rebooted once in a while.

At any rate, when things involving lights, latches, and the alarm happen sporadically, or if the "symptoms" don't appear to make sense or are non-reproducable, the problem is likely the CCM. I seem to recall that they go for somewhere around $350.

Regards,

3rd Gear

Re: My alarm keeps going off for no reason!!!!! (powerslide23)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Not funny but my '98 used to do that every time I wash it at night. The following day the alarm will go almost all day long. And as you've all guessed we cannot duplicate at the dealer. So I stopped washing it at night and it went away.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ditto as well.

3rd Gear

Re: My alarm keeps going off for no reason!!!!! (MakH)

for those of you who want to check it out. the b5.5 wires for door triggers are blue/gray pin 23 and pin 21 at the CCM. the trunk pin is brown/black pin 23 and pin 10 @CCM. the hood pin is brown/red pin 15 and pin 5 @CCM

for hte B5's the door triggers are the same (not sure about hte pin numbers though). the trunk is brown/purple @ theft module. the hood is the same as the B5.5 too.

hope this helps

1st Gear

My '99 used to do the same thing. Another symptom was that the left rear passenger door would not open from the outside. It also seemed to happen in cold wet weather. Of course, the car would never act up at the dealer. Two years passed and the car was out of warranty, and it would still happen occasionally. I did some searching on one of the sites that shows TSB's ( http://www.springbreakdaytonabeach.c...df/v009916.pdf ), and found one that requires the dealer to lube the door locking mechanism as part of the predelivery inspection process. As called out in the TSB, I used a silicone based lubricant and soaked the locking mechanism. It may be a coincidence, but the problem with the door and the alarm has not returned in the two years since I lubed the locks.

Edited to fix the link

<![CDATA[My '99 used to do the same thing. Another symptom was that the left rear passenger door would not open from the outside. It also seemed to happen in cold wet weather. Of course, the car would never act up at the dealer. Two years passed and the car was out of warranty, and it would still happen occasionally. I did some searching on one of the sites that shows TSB's ( http://www.springbreakdaytonabeach.c...df/v009916.pdf ), and found one that requires the dealer to lube the door locking mechanism as part of the predelivery inspection process. As called out in the TSB, I used a silicone based lubricant and soaked the locking mechanism. It may be a coincidence, but the problem with the door and the alarm has not returned in the two years since I lubed the locks.

Edited to fix the link

[Modified by jimb, 9:26 PM 9/29/2002]

Neutral

Re: My alarm keeps going off for no reason!!!!! (jimb)

I had the problem of intermittent alarms. With the help of this board i traced it to the Cherry microswitch assembly ( pictured previously on this thread) The switch had electrical continuity across it but had a resistance of 8 Ohms. I thought it may have a resistor in there so the CCM could check it was still in circuit - but it did not. I found the dodgy switch by,
    Setting the alarm and central locking by the key fob
    Unsetting by the key fob
    Opening any door - or boot - and closing again within 30 secs
    if the control system sees the opening the central locking will not re lock automatically - mine relocked when i tried the boot
    The switch is electrically made with the boot open, my boot light also did not come on. The system thought my boot was shut. Swapping out the assembly (6 GBP) has sorted it. Whilst trawling around i found this VWoA technical bulletin link regarding the CCM and unnecessary recalls due to microswitch problems.
    (http://www.springbreakdaytonabeach.c...f/01-98-12.pdf) Cut and paste link into your browser - i cant get it to work here

Bob

<![CDATA[I had the problem of intermittent alarms. With the help of this board i traced it to the Cherry microswitch assembly ( pictured previously on this thread) The switch had electrical continuity across it but had a resistance of 8 Ohms. I thought it may have a resistor in there so the CCM could check it was still in circuit - but it did not. I found the dodgy switch by,
    Setting the alarm and central locking by the key fob
    Unsetting by the key fob
    Opening any door - or boot - and closing again within 30 secs
    if the control system sees the opening the central locking will not re lock automatically - mine relocked when i tried the boot
    The switch is electrically made with the boot open, my boot light also did not come on. The system thought my boot was shut. Swapping out the assembly (6 GBP) has sorted it. Whilst trawling around i found this VWoA technical bulletin link regarding the CCM and unnecessary recalls due to microswitch problems.
    (http://www.springbreakdaytonabeach.c...f/01-98-12.pdf) Cut and paste link into your browser - i cant get it to work here

Bob

[Modified by bobrover, 9:45 AM 1/11/2003]

13. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information