Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

Thermostat cover

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  03Blacky 
#1 ·
When getting an estimate from my indy recently about timing belt replacement on my '03 V6 he said that they may have to replace the thermostat cover if it's plastic instead of metal. The plastic gets brittle over time and can crack.

Question 1 - am I likely to have a plastic thermostat cover give my year engine?
Question 2 - have many people had issues with the plastic ones cracking? I don't recall seeing this as an issue on the forums.

BTW - quote for the job was a range from $1150 to $1350 depending on what all needed to be replaced (the thermo cover was one of the variables). The fact that I can save so much doing it myself helped make the decision to do it myself pretty easy.

thanks.

#2 ·
Your's should be plastic. The changeover was in 2001.
I've seen threads where people have had an issue with the plastic cover, but I can say that mine is/was in perfect condition when I last did the timing belt service and changed out the thermostat. Just needed a little cleaning and it was good to go. I had to re-do mine after only 35K because of a failing water pump and idler pulley an Indy installed the first time around. So, I used OE parts and did the job myself.

Guess it depends somewhat on how the car was maintained before you bought it.

#3 ·
For my 2002 Passat the thermostat housing was plastic. I did not replace it during timing belt change, but around 2 yrs later it developed a crack and started leaking.

I would suggest to replace it now as the mechanic is already going to have it out. The part itself was approx $10 from FCP.

#4 ·
For the 1st timing belt change, the plastic is usually ok. By the second timing belt change, it should be replaced. Mine started to leak around 150K.

#9 ·
Just don't over torque the bolts when you reinstall the cover and you should be fine. A torque wrench rated in Inch pounds is best for these low torque items.
Also, take time to clean the interior mating surfaces on the cover, especially where it meets the oring/seal for the thermostat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.