Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

Foam pieces coming out of vents

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  ylwagon 
#1 ·
Small foam pieces are coming out of vents almost all the time when the air conditioning is on. Question is why and what is causing it?
Also If I have the air conditioning on heat I've noticed that the small vent on the drivers side next to the window doesn't blow out warm or hot air while the others do.

My car is a 2000 v6 4motion

#5 ·
Its the blend door foam. You'll find more comes out if you actuate the dial from cold to hot particularly fast. Look up the exact same thing on MKIV forums and you'll find this is common there. They put a layer of foam atop the blend door that has holes on it. I think its both for vibrational issues of a door that hangs on a hinge, and so that the air mixes better.

#6 ·
Hey, I remember the "foam storm" from my B1 and Mk1 Jetta - There was foam near the blend doors, and around the ducts in the dash. It deteriorated, crumbled, and came blowing out.

(Muses...) Probably the same foam they used on the light seals of film cameras. After a dozen years or so, it falls apart spontaneously.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.