Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

T-boned

Tags
tboned
2K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  BuzzKill 
#1 ·
Got hit square on in the driver's side door today, airbags everywhere, literally not a scratch or bruise. It was a 60kmh impact where the other car didn't brake at all. Got pushed across the road and mowed down a steel signpost which severed the driveshaft and snapped several suspension parts, sent the right front wheel flying with the half-shaft still attached.

Sure not high speed, but very gratifying the safety stuff works.

#3 ·
glad to hear you're ok. Good job, Passat.

#9 ·
Thanks for your kind words folks. Yep, can't speak highly enough of the car's safety systems.

So it looks like a write off and given it only had 112,000kms on it I don't think insurance will cover the cost of a reasonable replacement.

Will post some photos later.

#11 ·
Don't settle for the insurance's first offer on 'property damage'. You can get them to bump the numbers by telling them all the money you sunk into it on upgrades or recent service. Depends on the insurance I guess, but after my accident I had to deal with Progressive but the adjuster was sympathetic and wrote down mods I didn't have as well as reimbursed for a service I had done a month prior, even if it was totaled.

That being said, glad you are okay and make super duper sure you weren't hurt in any way. Sometimes it takes awhile for the injuries to become apparent.

#12 ·
Aww man, that's too bad. Such a nice looking car and with so little KM on it. Just glad you're ok.

As several members mentioned above it's nice to see how well the car protected you. I'm at 117,000 km and would be absolutely livid if it was written off at this point.

#14 ·
Be glad the insurance company is declaring it a total loss, because it would never be the same after repair, given the amount of damage.

Despite their quirks and unreliable rubber parts, these cars are extremely well designed and indeed among the safest out there. My sons and I drive B5 and B6 era A4s and S4s, and my wife has the B5 Passat wagon, and I figure we are about as well-protected as we reasonably could be.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.