Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

OEM axles and low? How's your alls luck

2K views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  Electron Man 
#1 ·
I'm at like 24.5 from top of the fender to the ground. After about 15k at that height my axles went bye bye (107,000 miles on odometer). So I figured "Hey I'll just run cheap China crap axles from NAPA auto parts that includes a 3 year warranty." Well that was a horrible horrible HORRIBLE mistake. They ride and sound like ****. So I am most likely going to throw some new OEM axles back in since Raxles doesn't make heavy duty axles for passats.

I'm curious as to your alls experience with being lowered on OEM axles. I am hoping to get 20k miles out of them without raising my car up more. If worst comes to worst I'll raise my car up another inch.

My new wheel and tire setup is 18x8.5 +25 square with 205/40 pilot sports

#9 ·
When I first bought my Audi, I needed to catch up on a bunch of deferred maintenance the PO neglected. As the costs were climbing, I also went with A1 Cardone front axles, cheap on RockAuto. They have OE hollow shafts and have been working flawlessly for the last 4 years now (40k miles).

I do not think the A4 axles are heavy duty, but given the same tranny they should fit in a Passat. The S4 uses a different (6 speed) tranny, so I the manual tranny axles won't work. The Tip tranny axles may well fit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.