Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

Mechanical oil pressure gauge

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Steve in Chicago 
#1 ·
I've got a brand spankin new mechanical oil pressure gauge so I think I'm going to put it in the Passat. It has a threaded connector that fits the extra port over the oil filter so I just need to route the plastic line, and this is where the challenge has begun. Can't really find a clear route. Anyone ever install a mechanical gauge and want to offer some advice on the line routing?

For the record, I am old school, and old. I like my mechanical gauge.The thought of hot, used motor oil racing through my interior excites me. I understand that I'll be the only guy here without an electronic gauge. I'm ok with that. Thanks.:)

#4 ·
The hood release cable grommet is something I used to do back when I was installing car stereos. Because of how the water plenum (where the battery and brake booster live) is designed on the Passat, most of the people who've tried that wound up with a lot of water leaking into the car.

For moderate sized wires, one recommended route is where the cables from the ECU (black box in front of the driver) pass through. With a pressurized oil line like that, I'd probably either 1. Forget the idea, or 2. Drill my own hole through the firewall with its own tight-fitting grommet.

#5 ·
I had installed a mechanical gauge for a while but kept it in the engine bay by the ECU. I left it there for several weeks and took readings regularly.

You are probably aware that the hose will twist as the oil pressure changes. For a permanent installation, I am not sure how you could work around that, unless you install a hardline or something of that sort.

I like mechanical gauges as well, but for a perm install i'd go with an electronic one.

#6 ·
For the record, I am old school, and old. I like my mechanical gauge. The thought of hot, used motor oil racing through my interior excites me.
:thumbup:

I can show you two paths I've used. One through the ECM box and another through a grommet in the inner-firewall.

Most oil gauge kits will be 1/4" NPT with taper thread. The port on the engine is M10x1 straight threads. The two thread types are pretty close but it's better to use an adapter if you can.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.