Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

setting readiness codes (catalyst)

5K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Steve in Chicago 
#1 ·
Hello All,

Back to PW after a long gap. I am looking for some help with P0422 (Main Catalyst: Bank 1: Efficiency Below Threshold ) DTC on my B5. I have also intermittently had P0130 (Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor B1 S1: Malfunction in Circuit) and the SAIP DTC (don't remember the code).

I am due for emmisions. I cleared the ECU DTC's. Several readiness codes were not set initially after clearing the DTC's. I followed the instructions from here:

http://www.passatworld.com/forums/61-b5-information-base/270353-setting-readiness-codes.html

After following the process, the CEL came back on for P0422 and the readiness code was not ready for secondary air pump. You are allowed to have one CEL, one readiness code not set as long as it is not Catalyst related in my state. Unfortunately that is true in my case.

I have not seen any drop in my performance. May be the cat is bad. I have also read that it is possible to set the readiness codes using vag-com.

VWVortex.com - FYI - Readiness: Secondary Air & Evaporative Emissions
VWVortex.com - How-to: Setting Readiness Codes with VAG-COM on 12V VR6
http://www.passatworld.com/forums/68-b5-garage/261466-vag-com-setting-readiness-step-step-guide.html

Any thoughts? I hate to spend on a new cat converter on a 14 year old B5...

Thanks!

See less See more
#4 ·
That's interesting stuff about setting readyness with VCDS. I didn't know that was possible. Those routines don't force readyness. What they do is prompt the engine management to run readyness tests. If the system being tested is good, you get a ready flag. If the system being tested fails, you get a fail and probably a trouble code describing what the system has detected.

---------------------------------------------------------------
P0422 - Main Catalyst: Bank 1: Efficiency Below Threshold

Possible Causes
* Oxygen Sensor(s) defective
* Oxygen Sensor(s) Control defective
* Catalyst faulty

Possible Solutions
* Check Oxygen Sensor(s)
* Check Oxygen Sensor(s) Control
* Perform Oxygen Sensor(s) Aging Check
* Set Readiness

Special Notes
* For 1.8T's experiencing a similar fault code, this thread may be useful: VWVortex.com - Aftermarket DP/Cat -DTC - Cat efficiency below threshold - Who has this DTC and wich DP/Cat

P0130 - Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor B1 S1: Malfunction in Circuit

Possible Causes
* Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor Heating Bank 1 Sensor 1 faulty

Possible Solutions
* Check Oxygen (Lambda) Sensor Heating Bank 1 Sensor 1

How old is the B1S1 oxygen sensor?
A spacer on the B1S2 sensor might eliminate the P0422. It's common for people to use that modification and run no CAT at all.
For the SAIP code, figure out what's malfunctioning and fix it. I can help you with these. I'll PM my phone number.

#5 ·
theMatrix, check again on the codes, it might be that you can pass with a pending code, but not with active code that sets the MIL ON.
You can set readiness with VCDS, if you have one.
The SAI will not run with the engine warm, so if you are trying to set the SAI readiness with that strategy, it won't work.
I am quite curious if the spacer on the sensor works, about 10 yrs I tried to fool a BMW computer with all kinds of methods and never succeeded. I've learned a lot about cat monitoring strategy, though :)
There are different way of evaluating CAT performance and depending on what VW uses, it might work with the spacer.
OTOH, installing a good efficcient CAT is not that expensive anymore, you might want to research this route too.
Call Steve, I bet he can help you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.