Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

Anyone had this interior trim problem?

2K views 18 replies 18 participants last post by  RbtMartin 
#1 ·
Hi all-

There is some separation of the interior trim bead that runs above the passenger door in my car. I've attached a photo. Has anyone else had this problem? How did you fix it?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Not really sure you can. I have the same issue in my '04, though not quite as extensive as that. IN pulling the door seals for another member at a scrap yard, I discovered the headliner fabric covered "flange" is actually part of the door seal. It may stand to reason that reseating or readhering door seal to frame will cinch it a little tighter to headliner.

My 2¢.

:wrench:

#8 ·
Such a simple problem, probably one the most PITA projects to do on a Passat.
Same issue on my '04. I used about 5 different glues/adhesives I was absolutely sure would work....

Yeah right.

Ended up using a combination of Gorilla Glue and high temp silicone (that nasty red stuff)

#17 ·
What about 3M VHB double-sided adhesive?

It's very thin - we used it at work to affix PC Boards to their aluminum heatsinks for ABS control unit prototypes years ago. I kept extra sheets we had around for a PCB that was re-designed, and I've used it to fix all sorts of things where I need a strong bond, but don't want to add thickness for the adhesive. At least twice I've used it to install new side-view mirror glass onto the original mirror housing fixturing (I peel out all the old glass, and then apply the VHB to hold the new mirror glass in place). It might be strong enough for this trim repair, as well (though I haven't had to tackle it on my B5.5, yet).

#18 ·
The best way to fix the problem is to spend $ 380 and purchase new all four door weather strips.
They have the fabric inserts (same color as the headliner - which keith already pointed at) and, from what I've seen with mine's, they lose edge rigidity over time. Also, if the side curtains ever deployed and a retarded mechanic didn't secure the new one with all the bolts, it would lean exactly on the headliner's edge, which in turn would apply extra pressure on that fabric weather strip insert's rigidity.
The ones who care about Pentosin, dealership visits and aesthetics, should buy new weather seals to alleviate the problem. The rest could glue, staple, or whatever else in between pertaining to DIY.
(Though I have a slight inkling that the categories are really blurred on PW, despite some posers)

#19 ·
Headliner Molding

I used a hair dryer to heat up the rubber and pushed it back over the headliner. it's been a year and still hasn't hapened again.
I caught mine when it had slipped back about 1/2 inch.

It cost nothing...it can't damage anything...and it might work for you.
Give it a try!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.