Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

Anyone plasti dip?

9K views 51 replies 25 participants last post by  Roshan 
#1 ·
Anyone in here ever plasti dip any part of their car? I'm not really sure what's it's all about. I've seen it. It looks good. But I'm not sure of it. Supposedly reversible. I'm looking to do the whole car. Any input? Thanks.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#4 ·
Ive plasti dipped my front for about one year now or so. and it still looks great even after all that time. It has a rubbery texture to it (4-5 coats) since i got just the Black and back then there wasnt that many choices in colors and in adding clear coat/gloss on top. All I can say is go grab a plasti dip spray from home depot or lowes im not sure which one has it and try it out. Its pretty fun and in case you dont like it you can just peal it off. Just make sure you apply at least 4 coats and let them dry a little in between.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Grille Bumper

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Bumper

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Grille Bumper

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Headlamp Volkswagen

#9 ·
Mircea,
Nice job! Did you sandpaper or remove the clear coat that the car originally had? If so, how? On my B5, that clear coat is peeled off mostly after I entered into a hail storm. I want to plastidip my car black. Rims as well.
Viață lungă România! :)
(I am a fan of Luchescu and George Hagi by the way:)
Ive plasti dipped my front for about one year now or so. and it still looks great even after all that time. It has a rubbery texture to it (4-5 coats) since i got just the Black and back then there wasnt that many choices in colors and in adding clear coat/gloss on top. All I can say is go grab a plasti dip spray from home depot or lowes im not sure which one has it and try it out. Its pretty fun and in case you dont like it you can just peal it off. Just make sure you apply at least 4 coats and let them dry a little in between.

View attachment 30137
View attachment 30145
View attachment 30153
View attachment 30161

#7 ·
Water Finger Hand
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Alloy wheel Mid-size car

I just started using it. IVe done my back and front vw emblem. And front grille. and mirrors. Also just started the lowers. I did the front lip and the doors. Now I just need to do the sideskirts and rear.

I did 3 coats on black. 2 glossifier coats. And 25 min between coats.

#20 ·
This, for a small area like window trim it isn't a big deal as there isn't that much material to take off. On a large flat area like the sides/top of the car if you apply too few coats, you are going to be picking off dime to quarter sized pieces of baked on dip. Not fun. Apply the correct amount, and removal will be like taking the protective wrap off of a new HDTV.

#19 ·
This guy in Florida seems to be a good source for info and quality product. Plasti Dip has really evolved what is offered over the past few years. When I first checked it out a couple of years ago there were just basic colors and now thee are metallics and pearls.

https://www.dipyourcar.com/home.php

He, also has a youtube channel with tons of cool project cars!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.