Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

Anyone plasti dip?

9K views 51 replies 25 participants last post by  Roshan 
#1 ·
Anyone in here ever plasti dip any part of their car? I'm not really sure what's it's all about. I've seen it. It looks good. But I'm not sure of it. Supposedly reversible. I'm looking to do the whole car. Any input? Thanks.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#41 ·
I saw this thread on the email update, and logged in to just make this post.

Last year I thought it was a good idea to plasti dip my grille, wheels, lower valance and some other stuff. It looked great for like 3 months, until it begain to chip and scratch from all the road debris (rocks/sand). The tire shop also started to peel my rims when they rotated my tires, and they won't cover plasti dip damage.

Any time any damage happen you pretty much have to re dip the whole part. Also dust likes to stick to plastic dip, so you have to rinse your car more often

This year I spent over 3 days removing all the plastic dip. It doesn't not come off like the videos, 1 year later. It gets stuck in all the little cracks. I bought a new grille because it was easier then the time to scrap off all the plastic dip.

I highly advice you to just paint or powder coat what ever color you want. The only thing I would only ever plasti dip is my badges from now on.

#48 ·
My question is: what color should I plastidip the grille, and the metal things that will fill the fog light places and the rear bumpers' open spots?

I cannot decide if I want it all black or maybe silver/metal.. what would you guys do?[/QUOTE]

If I were you I would paint the grill a cool accent color to make it really pop. Im not really a metal chrome kinda guy tho.

#50 ·
yeah interior parts that you don't touch are fine, but if they are gonna be touched or rubbed on a regular basis (giggity) i wouldn't do it. I dipped my driver side door handle/window switch panel and it rubbed off in a couple days from my leg resting against it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.