Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

2005 Passat Headlight

874 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  scotts13 
#1 ·
#2 ·
I have a pair of Depos on my Passat. They seem ok over all. I had two issues when fitting them tho.
First, I sealed the join between the black plastic back and the clear plastic front (where they meet all the way around). I used black silicone sealant to prevent water ingress.
Second, the housing on one of the units would not accept the indicator bulb holder, the tabs where in the wrong place on the headlight. It took some Macgyver type bodging to get it in there. It hasn't caused a problem since. Look at what Ahllun did here on a previous thread http://www.passatworld.com/forums/4...al-double-blink-solution-02-glx-4-motion.html

That link seems like a good price - I paid about the same for my non HID units.

#3 ·
Absolutely choose the 6000K option, and lower if available. Factory HID's are usually in the 4300K range, and that's best for actually seeing things; 8000K is way blue, and the eye doesn't use those frequencies efficiently.

As far as the headlights, DEPO is well known as a reasonable quality brand - nothing like the original VW Hellas, but not as bad as most of the junk out there. The aftermarket HID kit (DEPO doesn't offer this option) - who knows? I've never heard of ALPHA, but the fact they make a big point of being made in Taiwan, rather than China, doesn't fill me with warm fuzzies. Nor does the fact they're recommending 8000K as the default.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.