Please help! Recurring coolant leak.
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

Please help! Recurring coolant leak.

Ok. So I have an 04 VW Passat 4 cylinder 1.8L turbo 4Motion. I have had it in the garage probably 8-10 times for coolant leaks. I am getting frustrated. It leaks slowly so I notice it in the morning when I go to work and come home from work. I have had O-rings replaced at different times and the coolant flange replaced twice. Also replaced the water pump. The most recent was about three weeks ago I replaced the flange. I just noticed yesterday that The coolant is leaking AGAIN. Ever since it had started to leak about 1-1 1/2 years ago every time i get the coolant leak fix it started to leak within no more than a month. I'm not 100% sure what it is yet this timenbut it probably has something to do with or it is the flange again. Why does it keep leaking after roughly a month or what causes it is my question.

If anyone can help me shed some light on this issue, I would greatly appreciate it. I hope I get this issue resolved because I like the car and do not want to get rid of it.

Thanks in advance!!!
    Last edited by optickiller911; 01-31-2014 at 04:02 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

1st Gear
    Most likely quality of the parts and/or quality of the labor. There is also the possibility that your car is getting older so stuff keeps breaking.
    Did the leak stop after the repair? Is it possible you have the same leak that never got fixed?

5th Gear
    I've had many of the same problems, though they haven't occurred as frequent an interval. I just had my coolant flange replaced a month ago. The hose that goes from the bottom from the flange to the heater core wasn't sealing properly so that had to be replaced as well. I've heard numerous times that, for whatever reason, aftermarket flanges don't always seal correctly. Since the flange was only $23 at the dealer, I went with an OEM part. Also check the coolant expansion tank, they crack, and leak over time. Also the heater core inlet/outlet pipes can crack and leak. I'm currently dealing with this one.

Regarding water pumps, I'm now on my 4th. The previous 3 pumps (one OEM, two aftermarket) all leaked, but it took 40,000 - 50,000 miles for it to be noticeable.

I love my car to death but the on and off coolant leaks have been very frustrating to me. I too have an 04 1.8T, although mine is a FWD. Just rolled 200,000 miles last week. I guess at that mileage you have to expect things to start going wrong.

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by gigi123 View Post
    Most likely quality of the parts and/or quality of the labor. There is also the possibility that your car is getting older so stuff keeps breaking.
    Did the leak stop after the repair? Is it possible you have the same leak that never got fixed?
    Yes the leak stops anywhere from 2 weeks to a month then slowly starts again and progresses over time until fixed.

Neutral
    Have you had any problems with you OEM Flange?

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by bill1975 View Post
    I've had many of the same problems, though they haven't occurred as frequent an interval. I just had my coolant flange replaced a month ago. The hose that goes from the bottom from the flange to the heater core wasn't sealing properly so that had to be replaced as well. I've heard numerous times that, for whatever reason, aftermarket flanges don't always seal correctly. Since the flange was only $23 at the dealer, I went with an OEM part. Also check the coolant expansion tank, they crack, and leak over time. Also the heater core inlet/outlet pipes can crack and leak. I'm currently dealing with this one.

Regarding water pumps, I'm now on my 4th. The previous 3 pumps (one OEM, two aftermarket) all leaked, but it took 40,000 - 50,000 miles for it to be noticeable.

I love my car to death but the on and off coolant leaks have been very frustrating to me. I too have an 04 1.8T, although mine is a FWD. Just rolled 200,000 miles last week. I guess at that mileage you have to expect things to start going wrong.
    Have you had any problems with your OEM flange yet?

5th Gear
    Nope. No problems. It was replaced a little over a month ago.

9. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information