And now... sunroof issues...
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By scotts13

Thread: And now... sunroof issues...

1st Gear

And now... sunroof issues...

Alright, this is getting out of hand... i fear I may have bought a lemon. Which i didn't think could happen in a german car. The latest "idiosyncrasy" to emerge is the sunroof refusing to close. GAH!

2004 Wagon 1.8t automatic

electric sunroof control is a dial. center position = close. left = slide open, right = tilt open. Or at least that is what is SUPPOSED to be happening. Instead, i get :

change position of dial at all = tries to tilt closed, fails, tilts open again.

What do I need to change?

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

2nd Gear
    Until you get this sorted out (obviously the switch is one possibility) one way to completely close the sunroof when parked is to turn the ignition key to on then to off then get the sunroof to close and before it starts tilting up pull the key off. At least that's what mine does.

You could also open the access panel aft of the switch and use the wrench to operate the sunroof.

It seems like this Passat has given you a good taste of its personality from the moment you bought it.

6th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Rudnicki View Post
    Alright, this is getting out of hand... i fear I may have bought a lemon. Which i didn't think could happen in a german car.
    (Staggers around room, laughing himself sick…) Really? REALLY?! Sorry, but any car can be a lemon, and a German one is especially likely to have that citrusy tang, unless maintained properly.
    xLSxGaia likes this.

1st Gear
    Thanks for the stop gap idea, and less for the mockery.

I do however need to diagnose the source here. Any suggestions on the solution

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

6th Gear
    It really wasn't intended as mockery, but it could't really be read otherwise, could it? Sorry - comes from owning three different VW/Audis over the years (not B5's) that were totally taken over with electrical gremlins. The sunroof switch is the usual suspect here, or any time you have unintended sunroof movement. HERE is one writeup, though the pictures are gone; there are others. You can try cleaning the switch as described, but IMHO long term it should be replaced.

The other parts of the system involved are limit switches that are part of the sunroof mechanism itself, and the CCM (Comfort Control Module) under the drivers carpet. Tackle the overhead switch first, as both "most likely" and least expensive.

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by scotts13 View Post
    It really wasn't intended as mockery, but it could't really be read otherwise, could it? Sorry - comes from owning three different VW/Audis over the years (not B5's) that were totally taken over with electrical gremlins. The sunroof switch is the usual suspect here, or any time you have unintended sunroof movement. HERE is one writeup, though the pictures are gone; there are others. You can try cleaning the switch as described, but IMHO long term it should be replaced.

The other parts of the system involved are limit switches that are part of the sunroof mechanism itself, and the CCM (Comfort Control Module) under the drivers carpet. Tackle the overhead switch first, as both "most likely" and least expensive.
    I get how it would sound funny to you, I am just exceptionally irritated that this beast is giving so much trouble right out of the gates.

Thanks for the options to explore! Appreciate that.

Now this CCM you speak of. What are the chances it would be impacted by water ingress? That's one of the bigger suspects I have to sus out for a number of other issues with this guy.

2nd Gear
    Nick go to the info base section of this forum and grab the Etka PDFs or search for other online etka sources. It's full of exploded diagrams of all major systems. For wiring diagrams get a copy of he bentley manual.

Scan it -- maybe the CCM has stored some code about this. With vcds you can also monitor what the CCM sees is happening with each switch.

Beyond that it's a simple electrical circuit. Having a wiring diagram and a DMM will help you test the connector contacts on the switch. I'd even open the switch and examine it if diagnosis pointed to an internal fault.

If it's water ingress related per your other threads it is possible for it to be the CCM yet I have lost count of how many posts I read here of people opening their CCM only to find it dry and clean as new.

One thing I can add about the tilt up. It may be opening because it finds (or thinks there is) an obstruction. I never tested if my Passat sunroof has this feature (detecting too much current) but a friend discovered his audi had this feature when his son stuck something in that gap.

3rd Gear
    I'd say first test that the roof functions. Take off the cloth cover ahead of the central lights. On that cover is an Allen key. Stick said Allen key into the slot at the circular part of the sunroof motor. Now, rotate the motor (will require some effort) to its extremes (tilt, closed, full open.) If the roof glass moves to each point with no real resistance, your problem is the switch. The CCM would only be the most severe electrical case. Sunroof cassette/track would unheard of, but worst mechanical case.

Another test for the switch is get the sunroof full open. Get out of car and put key in lock cylinder in front door and turn to lock and hold. Roof and windows should close fully. Should do the same as tilt. This feature is controlled solely by the CCM.

If there is resistance, or of it seems hard to reach a certain point then first things to snag usually is the shade. Sunroof motor has a built in protection to return sunroof to a safe position if an obstruction impedes the motion of the roof.

1st Gear
    Thanks all. Let play with these options and see what we can deduce.

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by GLInick View Post
    Nick go to the info base section of this forum and grab the Etka PDFs or search for other online etka sources. It's full of exploded diagrams of all major systems. For wiring diagrams get a copy of he bentley manual.

Scan it -- maybe the CCM has stored some code about this. With vcds you can also monitor what the CCM sees is happening with each switch.

Beyond that it's a simple electrical circuit. Having a wiring diagram and a DMM will help you test the connector contacts on the switch. I'd even open the switch and examine it if diagnosis pointed to an internal fault.

If it's water ingress related per your other threads it is possible for it to be the CCM yet I have lost count of how many posts I read here of people opening their CCM only to find it dry and clean as new.

One thing I can add about the tilt up. It may be opening because it finds (or thinks there is) an obstruction. I never tested if my Passat sunroof has this feature (detecting too much current) but a friend discovered his audi had this feature when his son stuck something in that gap.
    ETKA downloaded, yikes, what a whole helluva lot to absorb. Good resource to have on file.

The machine was scanned before purchase. There was old EVAP issues flagged, and i think something to do with immobolizer, but nothing with CCM that we found.

Water ingress is a concern, and could use some guidance to trouble shoot it. Where to start? Where are the usual suspects in terms of seals?

Will have to check for obstructions.

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by vbora01 View Post
    I'd say first test that the roof functions. Take off the cloth cover ahead of the central lights. On that cover is an Allen key. Stick said Allen key into the slot at the circular part of the sunroof motor. Now, rotate the motor (will require some effort) to its extremes (tilt, closed, full open.) If the roof glass moves to each point with no real resistance, your problem is the switch. The CCM would only be the most severe electrical case. Sunroof cassette/track would unheard of, but worst mechanical case.

Another test for the switch is get the sunroof full open. Get out of car and put key in lock cylinder in front door and turn to lock and hold. Roof and windows should close fully. Should do the same as tilt. This feature is controlled solely by the CCM.

If there is resistance, or of it seems hard to reach a certain point then first things to snag usually is the shade. Sunroof motor has a built in protection to return sunroof to a safe position if an obstruction impedes the motion of the roof.

Let me give this a shot too.

1st Gear
    Good news everyone!

The sunroof works fine now. But why?

Today is above freezing. Which i suspect melted whatever was obstructing the sunroof the past few days. So really, this was a temporary obstruction issue.

Thanks for all the guidance y'all!

Neutral
    there's an override to the obstruction/ won't close issue. it's either push in and hold or pull out and hold the switch and it overrides the obstruction being detected. i don't have the owner's manual, but i'm sure it's listed in there.

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by larrynj View Post
    there's an override to the obstruction/ won't close issue. it's either push in and hold or pull out and hold the switch and it overrides the obstruction being detected. i don't have the owner's manual, but i'm sure it's listed in there.
    Really? The control dial pushes in and/or out? I didn't realize! I'll have to take a gander at that.

4th Gear
    Did you try cleaning the contacts on the sunroof switch? Pretty common issue. My sunroof used to act goofy all the time, cleaned the switch, good to go.

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenCar View Post
    Did you try cleaning the contacts on the sunroof switch? Pretty common issue. My sunroof used to act goofy all the time, cleaned the switch, good to go.
    Ill give that a whirl if the little devil starts acting up again.

18. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information