2003 Passat AWM/1.8T sputtering after coolant flange replaced..
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

2003 Passat AWM/1.8T sputtering after coolant flange replaced..

The coolant flange I just did on my Passat is by far the hardest jobs I've ever done on any car. Started the job Saturday and put the final pieces back just today. Now the car is not running right. 2003 passat AWM 1.8T

No leaks, car starts, was idling fine. took off.. seemed it has it's power then I felt a jerk and then it's starts sputtering or not sure I'd say a sputter but definately a suddent loss in power. I can rev the engine up to 4k or so I think.

when I popped the hood I noticed some smoke coming from the turbo line on the passenger side front.

The only thing i am thinking is that upper radiator hose that I poured new coolant into doesn't go to the radiator.

One other thing is... a check valve broke. it's the one that connects to the top of the manifold in the back. anyways.. some (most?) of the plastic bits may still be stuck in that line. I can't believe btw that valve was 40 dollars. Thats probably the next thing I'll grasp at which is replacing that line that mysteriously disappears under the intake on the drivers side.

I was also surprised trhe dealer can no longer get passanger inside door handles (the actual handle you pull on)

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

2nd Gear
    so if I am reading this right, some small bits of plastic were left inside a hose that leads into the intake?

hopefully the sputtering is from the vac leak and not from some bit of plastic that got sucked into the engine and beyond.

a pic of the broken valve's location would help here.

Quote Originally Posted by CKerian View Post
    I was also surprised trhe dealer can no longer get passanger inside door handles (the actual handle you pull on)
    Don't know what color you need, but they are available from the on-line dealers. Here are the current part #s for the right side.
    I think this is what you are looking for, But confirm on your own before ordering.

anthracite grey
    Stock Code: 3B1837114AA75R
    black colour wax
    Stock Code: 3B1837114AA2AQ
    platinum grey
    Stock Code: 3B1837114AA4ET
    walnut brown
    Stock Code: 3B1837114AA6BK

Neutral
    So the issue is resolved.

This is CRAZY but.. channel locks fell down into the front of the motor and was resting on the pully's. I can't believe I didnt have a catastrophe! My guess is the turbo pully was stopped or something. I let is sit... started the car and popped the hood. I looked down and couldnt believe my eyes. I stopped the car.. retreived my channel locks and all is well!

Mission accomplished on the coolant flange. no leaks, no engine lights. all is well!!!!

I doubt the little bits of plastic in the vacuum are an issue. I might disconnect the check valve and see if I can get more out but i think I am good.

Quote Originally Posted by GLInick View Post
    so if I am reading this right, some small bits of plastic were left inside a hose that leads into the intake?

hopefully the sputtering is from the vac leak and not from some bit of plastic that got sucked into the engine and beyond.

a pic of the broken valve's location would help here.

Neutral
    Hmmm I need black. I'll check into these though thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by 2002GLXV6 View Post
    Don't know what color you need, but they are available from the on-line dealers. Here are the current part #s for the right side.
    I think this is what you are looking for, But confirm on your own before ordering.

anthracite grey
    Stock Code: 3B1837114AA75R
    black colour wax
    Stock Code: 3B1837114AA2AQ
    platinum grey
    Stock Code: 3B1837114AA4ET
    walnut brown
    Stock Code: 3B1837114AA6BK

4th Gear
    Yes, ECS has them for pretty cheap ($12 or so, plus shipping); I imagine you could find them through eBay or elsewhere.

Sounds to me like your dealer doesn't want to be bothered with special-ordering a cheap trim part or looked it up in the computer wrong; if so many online dealers have them, you'd expect VWoA would. It's not as if all those online stores stocked a huge pile of door handles against a coming apocalypse.

Neutral
    Thanks. Yeah this seems like it. Ok, appreciate it.

Neutral
    I think this is the right part# 3B0867180AA94

Although VW doesn't make them any more I think i see a few sites that may have one.
    Last edited by CKerian; 10-28-2013 at 08:37 PM.

10. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information