Heater/Air Conditioning fan won't turn off
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

Heater/Air Conditioning fan won't turn off

Hey guys, I've been trying to trouble shoot this fan not going off. I have a 03 Passat V6 4 motion. The fan just started staying on the other day and won't adjust down or go off now. I read everything I could find on the subject, like pulling out the relay, but that does not stop the fan. I did stop it pulling the fuse, but whatever relay or problem is causing this did not change removing power to it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Bob

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

1st Gear
    OP, do you have manual climate control (three knobs) or Climatronic (digital settings)?

Neutral
    If you're referring to the Blower Fan in the passenger compartment, you may want to check the blower fan resistor pack which regulates the fan speed. The electrical contacts tend to overheat and melt the plastic housing. Although your problem is different there's a first time for everything.

Neutral
    Fresco I have the Climatronic digital settings, and Roadsterred I am referring to the blower fan in the cab. When I push the buttons for fan speed the digital scales go up and down and it says off when it should. Just the fan motor is not changing, staying on high.

4th Gear
    Check blower fan controller. Read this thread:

Blower fan won't turn off - 2001, Climatroninc

Neutral
    Thanks Tomvw, I searched many times and that link didn't come up. You guys r awesome on this site as I have been able to find most problems well documented. I recently repaired my alternator an when working on the car cleaned that air filter. Wasn't that dirty, not sure why mine gave up on me. Hoping instructions on removal r on here. On my phone right now so ill look when I get home. Thanks again

8. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information