Removing radiator transmission cooler lines
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

Removing radiator transmission cooler lines

Hi,

I guess I developed a half-round crack on the radiator upper hose plastic connector while pulling on the hose a little too hard to disconnect it from the radiator, during a timing belt replacement job. Unfortunately, I now have to replace the whole radiator.

1) Long shot but let me ask you folks: can the crack be fixed by using a pro-grade waterproof glue or adhesive to hold it together?

Otherwise, I found quite a few write-ups on removing radiators on various VWs, but none of them had to deal with the transmission cooler lines. The radiator I have has two transmission cooler lines going into the plastic tank on the left (passenger) side of it.

2) How can I disconnect these lines before I remove the radiator?
    3) Is it too difficult/hard to remove these lines?
    - I am not worried about a spill because changing the transmission fluid was on my list of tasks, and I have already drained it both from the transmission pan as well as the hoses connecting to these two tubes going into the radiator.
    4) Any pictures or videos describing how to do this?

Would greatly appreciate if I can get answers to these four questions I have.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

1st Gear
    You can try but whatever you do make sure it doesn't break off and end up in the engine block. There are plastic welders, but those can cost around $60 and up. I've heard people using JB weld, but generally those ended up being temporary fixes.
    The transmission cooler lines are held with a screw at each line. Remove the screws and pull the lines out. It might take some effort to get them out if your car has a lot of miles, but it's not too difficult. Those lines have o-rings so plan on replacing those. There won't be much spill, just plug the lines with something to make sure nothing gets inside.

Neutral
    I do not see a screw anywhere on or near where the line connects to the radiator. Please see the picture below. Is it that the tube is simply pushed tight on to a nipple on the radiator and the way to disconnect is to just pull it off?

DSC_0037.jpg

If anyone's working on their Passat radiator and have done this, can you please post a quick demo video on how to disconnect the cooler line from the radiator?

Thanks!

1st Gear
    It seems like the screw is missing. Yes just pull it out. It might be stuck so try to pry it out carefully at the tab where the screw is supposed to be. The lower pipe looks similar, but it also has a bracket that holds the upper pipe. There should be a screw as well.

Pic of the upper pipe:
    IMG_1463.jpg

Neutral
    Perfect! Thanks a bunch. Just as you said, the tube needed some tender-loving-prying, and it came off easily. In retrospect, the ease with which the tube came off, I guess it was a disaster waiting to happen with the tube connected to the radiator without the retaining screw. I will order a new screw along with the radiator.

I have found the black Spectra Premium radiator on Partsgeek.com for 117.25. It's available on Amazon for about 125. Any feedback on this radiator?

In general, any recommendations for a good radiator?

Thanks!

Neutral

Stuck Trans Cooler Lines

I trying to remove the same transmission lines to replace my leaking radiator.
    I.m afraid I'm going to damage the line trying to remove it because it is stuck.

Any tricks you guys have to assist will be greatly appreciated.

4th Gear
    Read posts #2, #4, and #5, all the info you could possibly need is in them.

4th Gear
    Been there ... done that on my old A4. Son #2 was prepping the car for the timing belt, and since both boys drive manual transmissions, they are accustomed to pulling the entire front of the car for easy access to the front of the engine. The lines came out pretty easily, with a bit of wiggling/coaxing. Just be careful not to lose too much coolant out the lower hose, once things are disconnected. After we finished the timing belt/water pump/power steering pump replacement, I took the car to a local independent shop for ATF drain-and-refill. Big mistake -- we got occasional slip-and-grab 1-2 shifts. I don't know whether the problem was a bubble in the fluid or blockage of something, but we then had a full pan drop and filter replacement, which solved the problem.

Replacing the radiator is a great opportunity to examine your ATF. In retrospect, mine looked pretty bad, even though it had been only 40k miles / 8 years since we bought the car at 65k mi / 9 years and promptly did a full pan drop.

10. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information