Passat B5.5 1.8T vs V6?
NEWS
 
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Neutral
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Westfield, ma 01085
    Posts
    63

    Question Passat B5.5 1.8T vs V6?

    Hi guys!
    Last night I was going to work and saw that Passat for sale on someone's front lawn. The car 2004 Passat 5spd. All power, leather, moonroof, it has cheap aftermarket radio, JuNk. Pretty clean, but need to seat inside first to say that. Mileage I believe it said 150k. Nice color combination, maroon with black interior.
    My question is how different are 1.8t and V6 in terms of maintaince and repairs? all will be done DIY .
    Thanks

    P.S. My current car is 2002 B5.5 GLS with 1.8T and auto tranny, so going to a stick shift is already an improvement for me

  2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Overdrive
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Lehigh County, Pa.
    Age
    59
    Posts
    10,241
    I think we need a "last engine choice thread." If there was a clear cut choice, VW wouldn't offer both; you'll find equally balanced proponents here if you search.

    In MY opinion (I'm a 1.8T guy) the downsides of the 1.8T are the possibility of sludge related oil pressure problems, and occasional turbocharger failures (usually related to oil starvation). MUST be careful about maintenance. Upsides are better mileage, more performance mods, and to me, a more exciting power curve.

    The V6 will suffer neglect more gracefully, offers a bit more power stock, and has a lot more low-end torque for stoplight launches. OTOH, if it DOES go wrong, it has twice as many cam chain adjusters and CATs to fail; noted problem areas and nearly as expensive as the single turbocharger.
    Last edited by scotts13; 10-22-2012 at 06:13 PM.

  4. #3
    4th Gear
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Yorba Linda CA USA
    Posts
    2,866
    Good summation of the pros/cons scotts13- I've got a 2.8 A4 and my wife a 1.8T Passat. The 2.8 is generally smoother running, and heavier; the 1.8T somewhat better mileage, and has the easier power increases. I also think the wide 90-degree 2.8 just looks more impressive with the hood open, for what little that's worth!

  5. #4
    Neutral
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Westfield, ma 01085
    Posts
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by scotts13 View Post
    I think we need a "last engine choice thread." If there was a clear cut choice, VW wouldn't offer both; you'll find equally balanced proponents here if you search.

    In MY opinion (I'm a 1.8T guy) the downsides of the 1.8T are the possibility of sludge related oil pressure problems, and occasional turbocharger failures (usually related to oil starvation). MUST be careful about maintenance. Upsides are better mileage, more performance mods, and to me, a more exciting power curve.

    The V6 will suffer neglect more gracefully, offers a bit more power stock, and has a lot more low-end torque for stoplight launches. OTOH, if it DOES go wrong, it has twice as many cam chain adjusters and CATs to fail; noted problem areas and nearly as expensive as the single turbocharger.


    I'm leaning towards 1.8T myself, but was considering that maroon Passat because its a stick shift and its a 4Motion and seemed like a good conditon (cosmetically), but it has a V6. So i wasn't sure, I never owned a car with a V6, never reallly worked on them, always had 4 cyls and my last two cars were 1.8T, a Jetta and now a Passat and I love both of them. Unfortunately my Passat is an automatic, thanks to the pressure from my wife.
    Either way Im going to go check out that maroon Passat tomorrow, we'll see what its all about.

  6. #5
    3rd Gear
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    2,396
    You'd have a harder time choosing an engine if you lived in Europe. Here you literally have a 4 cylinder petrol engine, a 4 cylinder diesel, or a 6 cylinder petrol engine.

    1.8t > V6
    - Easier to mod, increase power at much lower costs than V6
    - Lighter
    - This is all up to the driver of course, but more economical
    - Spend less in engine components with 2 less cylinders (but this is negligible, it'll be put into the PCV system, or some other subsystem.)
    - Good low end torque, enough power for a family sedan
    - PCV system is a little less pricey, only one head to worry about the valve cover/timing chain tensioner gaskets, and 2 less spark plugs, and individual coils on cylinders

    V6 > 1.8t
    - Good low end torque, very consistent power delivery as it is naturally aspirated
    - Nearly bulletproof aside from leaky valve cover gaskets, and a PCV system that needs a good check every 2 years, and inevitable replacement every 4-5.
    - Practical, can be as economical if you have a light foot
    - 192 hp is plenty for hauling a family of 5 with luggage up a 5% grade

    V6 = 1.8t
    - Same chassis issues (control arms, motor mounts, snub mount, door lock modules, CCM, etc.)
    - Same water ingress issues (sunroof, pollen filter, window regulator panels, etc. etc.)
    - Still a heavy car regardless (maybe 100-200 lb difference between the 2 different engines.)
    - It's 2 generations old now (B7 Passat is the current forerunner of the Passat model.)

    4motion V6 5 speed Passat sounds like a no-brainer in my book... the 4 motion system will literally never give you a problem.

  7. #6
    Wants to be TheFlipperGray
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Auburn, MA
    Posts
    7,303
    This thread again! You should only dislike the idea of the V6 if you were planning on doing performance mods. Otherwise, the same problems with the same platform. I wouldn't worry much in thinking that the maintenance costs will rise, as both have their pitfalls: money spent on the 2.8's two cats, four 02 sensors, and two VCG's might end up being the same as having to replace half those parts PLUS a turbo on a 1.8. Obviously other factors are at play there, though. Just my $.02, coming from a V6 B5 to sitting in a 1.8T B6 A4.

    Oh btw, it's not maroon. The color is Colorado Red

  8. #7
    1st Gear
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brattleboro, Vermont
    Posts
    204
    Quote Originally Posted by vbora01 View Post
    4motion V6 5 speed Passat sounds like a no-brainer in my book... the 4 motion system will literally never give you a problem.
    Was there even a V6 4mo 5 speed offered in the U.S.?

  9. #8
    Neutral
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    14
    Not according to the Passat production numbers exel file.....

    USA 2004 GLX Sedan V6 5 spd FWD RED, COLORADO RED BLACK Leather 4

  10. #9
    I break for old people Bdubskii's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Boston, MA -01.5 AWM
    Age
    22
    Posts
    7,536
    Where did you find a 4motion v6 manual? Do you have pictures of it? It'd be awesome to see.

  11. #10
    Neutral
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Westfield, ma 01085
    Posts
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by Bdubskii View Post
    Where did you find a 4motion v6 manual? Do you have pictures of it? It'd be awesome to see.
    So i looked at that Passat last night, the guy who is selling it, is smoking something. Yes it was a Colorado Red (i did not how its called in VW world), and no its not a 4Motion, but he had it written on windshield for some reason, maybe trying to fool people. That's number one, number two he's odometer does not work, so how can I trust him on the mileage supposedly its 150k. Than third the engine is covered in oil, almost like you poor it out of the bucket on top of engine. then it has a pretty loud knock in a engine almost sounds like cam chain tensioner is bad, but not sure what it is. He says that VW dealer diagnosed it and said that nothing is wrong with it, but the guy could not produce a proof of diagnosis from adealer. I was going to test drive, but had to walk away when I heard the price $$$$$$$ 7000 $$$$$$$, is he is F***ing CRAZY??? and the car needed all new brakes and tires. WOW, he got balls!

  12. #11
    Neutral
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    32
    To be honest i have only been in a 1.8t passat and that is the 00 model. i love the way i can boost away from crappy honda's ( no offense, like i did yesterday) but the 1.8 i think is more costly to run than a v6, yes you will have higher gas bills but you lose that thought after seeing more cash come in over the time of owning the newer v6, the v6 may take 2 extra plugs but i mean think of it this way the 1.8 runs at a higher temp because of the turbo. but also the v6 is a bigger engine just stuffed into a small area. i would say if you can get it for less than 7000 grand more around 4 or even offer a trade. then get it! i love my little 1.8 but its a pain to repair and i don't like throwing more money at the car that is almost 12G for a 3 year old car ( counting my time i had it).

    And to the comment above i have not seen many b5.5 having a sludge issue. it was more about the b5's IMHO. luckily i think mine has been taken care of before i got the car so im all free and clear! oh btw penzoil 5w-30 Full Sythetic is getting me about 28MPG In the city( no tune or nothing)

  13. #12
    Wants to be TheFlipperGray
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Auburn, MA
    Posts
    7,303
    Quote Originally Posted by maloy View Post
    So i looked at that Passat last night, the guy who is selling it, is smoking something. Yes it was a Colorado Red (i did not how its called in VW world), and no its not a 4Motion, but he had it written on windshield for some reason, maybe trying to fool people. That's number one, number two he's odometer does not work, so how can I trust him on the mileage supposedly its 150k. Than third the engine is covered in oil, almost like you poor it out of the bucket on top of engine. then it has a pretty loud knock in a engine almost sounds like cam chain tensioner is bad, but not sure what it is. He says that VW dealer diagnosed it and said that nothing is wrong with it, but the guy could not produce a proof of diagnosis from adealer. I was going to test drive, but had to walk away when I heard the price $$$$$$$ 7000 $$$$$$$, is he is F***ing CRAZY??? and the car needed all new brakes and tires. WOW, he got balls!
    Yeah, for $7k I'd find something a bit less sketchy..

  14. #13
    Neutral
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    post falls Id.
    Posts
    35
    The same thing happened to me last month. I passed a blue 99 passat for sale that had said it had a 2.0t and 4mo.
    So obviously I slammed on my brakes to check it out........needless to say the guy selling it didn't know his butt hole from his ankles!
    2slow engine front wheel drive and rebuilt title ( why it was blue I take it ) all for the low price of 5800$.....I almost slapped him

  15. #14
    I break for old people Bdubskii's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Boston, MA -01.5 AWM
    Age
    22
    Posts
    7,536
    For $7,000 you can find something way nicer with less miles and in better shape. I'd also walk way and look around.

  16. #15
    3rd Gear
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    2,396
    $7k for that dream machine! Quite frankly it was 4motion, it had four tires right? And the knock, probably converted it to diesel.

  17. #16
    Neutral
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Westfield, ma 01085
    Posts
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by vbora01 View Post
    $7k for that dream machine! Quite frankly it was 4motion, it had four tires right? And the knock, probably converted it to diesel.
    After I saw and heard an engine (I should of snap a picture of it) I would say it wasnt so much of a dream. And I took a VIN to a dealer and they said that this car is not a 4motion. Also the guy did some research and said that last time the car was officially serviced at the dealer was back in 2006, and that's across USA.
    Anyway for a $7000 I can buy much better car, as a matter of fact my body saw a B6 for $6500 the other day, he suppose to find out more info about it tonight. It's pretty far away from me but he's a truck driver and drives same route all the time, we'll see.
    I'm not in need to buy a car, my B5.5 1.8T is serving me just fine, but if I come around something that catches my eye I may think about it!
    And Yeah thanks for the input on comparison of 1.8T and 2.8 engines!

  18. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements
     

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.2