Driver side door lock actuator
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    1st Gear

Driver side door lock actuator

Bought my 1998 Passat, driver side front door lock not working (not with key).
    Can lock with key from passenger side lock or with remote.
    Would like to NOT have 2 different keys.
    What are my options?

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Moderate Moderator Steve in Chicago's Avatar
    Do some searches. There are several threads on the subject. If the key does not turn the lock cylinder, the lock may be broken or it may have been replaced with one set up for a different key. If it does turn but doesn't unlock the door, it's likely a problem with the arm that connects the cylinder to the latching mechanism or the latching mechanism itself.

This link shows how to get at those parts.
    taligentx.com: Passat - Door Lock Mechanism Repair

1st Gear
    Thanks steve; the key goes in but turns and turns without moving anything. So most likely a mechanical lever from lock cylinder to actuator.
    Since power locks work, this will be the first to check.

Will follow the link DIY. Have had the door panel off several times, so should be able to 'look' what may be off.

1st Gear
    Sounds like the lock cylinder "castle" piece if it spins free. Remove the cylinder and actuate the lock with it removed to be sure. The door panel doesn't need to be removed.
    HOW TO : Door lock repair : (spinning barrel / lock jammed)
    Door Lock Repair Spinning Barrel Lock Jammed - PassatB5

1st Gear
    What parts would I need?

1st Gear
    If that is your problem, look for a lock cylinder repair kit. Probably like ebay. You'll have to take it apart to know for sure but it's usually the 'castle' piece.

1st Gear
    Took the driver side lock out. Ok.
    Tried to take the lock apart, but the "C" ring did not really want to come off. Broke something in the process.

Figured the passenger side lock may fit, took that out, but won't fit.

Trying to put passenger side lock back in. Something inside popped and dropped.
    Took door panel off, then regulator out.
    Found a large C shaped rim. Figure it somehow goes behind or around the lock?
    Tried for an hour, no success.

Tried to get the door handle off, but the bolt holding it in place (outside, under the grip end) is stripped.

Can anyone help what to do with the C ring (on the inside)?

Without it, the lock is not 'holding'.

sorry to dig up an old thread. but the day before the 4th of july i went to lock my driver door from the outside with the key, because the power locks will not lock the driver door while its open, when i turned the key, it didnt lock, it felt weird, a little harder to turn and all the windows rolled down.
    so i rolled it up and locked the car from the passenger side.
    when i came back and the back windows where down.
    4th of july i parked in the shade, came back at 3am and 1 of the back windows was down.
    left the car unlocked the next day with the windows and sunroof cracked and all the windows where opened when i came back.

i pulled out the comfort control module and all of the wires look in good shape. no moisture down there. box is sealed. pin 15 was corroded so i cleaned it up and locked the car with the windows cracked in the shade and came back to 1 window down.
    the door lock still feels funy so im going to try this tek above and see if that fixes it.

1st Gear
    dan K: if you car has the 'turn key to open/close all window' feature, you may get by with softcoding (VAGcom) and turn the feature off?

Moderate Moderator Steve in Chicago's Avatar
    I'd take the drivers door latch module out of the door and re-touch all the solder points on the circuit board. (taligentx.com: Passat - Door Lock Mechanism Repair)
    Check the function of the microswitches with a meter.

I wonder if you have a broken drivers door module (switch sticking) and that's sending out the command to roll down windows. The funky thing is, when you hold the key turned (and that switch actioned), the command to roll down or up should go out to all four windows, not just a few like you're seeing.

12. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information