can i add water to my coolant?
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

can i add water to my coolant?

Its only about 1/2 inch low below the MIN line....i cant find the orange coolant locally today, can i add water?
    ps do auto parts stores usually have this coolant? iu didnt see any orange anywhere..whats it called?

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

1st Gear
    lol the coolant name is on the expansion tank and its called G12.. its color its pink. I had the same thing happening when my coolant tank was cracked changed it to a new one added water and just waiting to do the whole flush. I don't think it hurts but your coolant color should be pink.

6th Gear
    Orange? Unless you're sure what coolant is in there, you should top it up with water (distilled, preferably) until you can flush the system and refill with the approved G12. Not a bad idea to do every several years, anyway. Mixing VW G12 coolant with anything else is the automotive equivalent of "crossing the streams".

Neutral
    I guess its pinkish, i google imaged it and it looks the same...where can i buy it?

2nd Gear
    Anywhere that sells G12.

4th Gear
    The coolant can be purchased online at many vendors, dealership, I believe O'Reilly's carries the Pentosin brand which is very good and is correct coolant for our cars if not using OEM.

6th Gear
    Useful, Paladin, useful... Start with VW dealers. Most mail order places (like ECS) too. Anywhere else is thin on the ground.

2nd Gear
    Yeah I was being a bit of a smartass but really, he lives in Rhode Island. How will we know exactly where he can buy G12? He can search too, because "Where can I buy G12" threads come up a lot..
    OP I find it about $27 dollars a bottle at the dealer (CDN). For how often you need to replace the coolant this isn't bad.

Moderator Extraordinaire
    Yes, you can just throw some distilled water in there. Get some G12 for next time though.
    Original Club B5 member: 08 R32 & missing my 99 B5

4th Gear
    I've found G12 is cheapest at the dealer. I can get it from O'Reillys, but the 1.5L bottle comes to about $15, vs. $22 for a whole gallon from the dealer.

4th Gear
    And that gallon is concentrate, so it makes 2 gallons mixed with distilled water. Not bad for the price really.

Dang. Just bought 1.5l of g12++ (backwards compatible and mixable with g12) for $20 today. Couldn't wait to have it ordered. I hear that a Napa in CT carries the OEM gallon size for like $30.
    Glutton for Punishment: 14 Passat TDI SELP, 04 Passat 1.8T GLS Variant, 99 C-Red Passat 1.8T

3rd Gear
    1/2" of water wont change your mixture that much...I've done it before and I live in a climate with hot and very cold weather.

Neutral
    i was looking for the helpful answers, ment like does usual auto parts retail places that sell it... thanks for the correct info guys, cheers!

Neutral
    Add a little water. No worries

I break for old people Bdubskii's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VAGguy View Post
    Dang. Just bought 1.5l of g12++ (backwards compatible and mixable with g12) for $20 today. Couldn't wait to have it ordered. I hear that a Napa in CT carries the OEM gallon size for like $30.
    Yeah its about $30-35 up here

Neutral
    Its about $20-25 in Va but i usually have a water bottle filled with half water and g12

3rd Gear
    like the others said... G12 or water works. just make sure to never top it off with the green stuff. it doesn't mix well with G12 and will likely begin to clog important components or ruin seals.

if you're coolant is looking more orange/brown than pink, then it's likely very old and in need of a good flush/change. top it off with water for now and plan on getting a coolant flush with fresh G12 in the near future.

20. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information