Brake Fluid Flush
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

Brake Fluid Flush

Manual says to get the brake fluid flushed, my VW guy say don't bother. This guy does VW/Audi only and inherited the business from his father. Guy's been workin' on dubs for decades--awesome pictures of modified 80's dubs from the 80's in the shop. He says that living in the south like we do in Atlanta, we don't have enough really cold weather to cause moisture in the brake fluid, so no need to change it.

I'm blowin' your mind aren't I. Seriously, what do y'all think.

Edit: I'm original owner of 2001 1.8t with just under 100k miles, and I'm keep her for a while.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

1st Gear
    I don't know I'm kind of torn on this one. It probably isn't really necessary unless you have some sort of contamination or moisture but I might do the fluid in my fiancee's anyway. The fluid is pretty cheap even though it's DOT4. She has 233k miles and counting on the original fluid.

I'm just itching to be Banned NEWMAN'SOWN's Avatar
    Seeing as it is impossible to tell without taking it apart, and that we are taking about a vital part of your vehicle, I'm going to say "do it" The small amount of money saved is not worth the possible headaches IMO.

3rd Gear
    Per the owners manual, it suggests replacing the fluid every 2 years regardless of mileage. You will more than likely notice a difference with new fluid every two years as opposed to original fluid at 100k. Not to mention the extreme color change from brown to golden yellow; and I know I know, color has nothing to do with status of fluid, but it's probably better off golden yellow...

Would recommend going with any other brand other than ATE. For some reason, even the normal stuff, causes squeaky clutches. OEM stuff from the dealer, Castrol GT stuff from a regular auto store, or Pentosin brand from online or a place that sells import stuff like NAPA/Walker Autoparts or Carquest.

To sum up my post, I'd do it.

1st Gear
    I would do it. Cheap PM for your BRAKE system!

6th Gear
    Probably not a bad idea. I don't even do it myself; I let the VW dealer charge me $89 every other year for the task. Cheap insurance compared to an Audi I resurrected once, where I had to replace the entire braking system due to internal corrosion.

4th Gear
    I flushed the brake fluid for a friend's minivan once; it turned me into a believer. (I had been doing it anyway, but now I saw why.) What came out looked like used motor oil, vs. the light-yellow new stuff.

It's the brakes... not exactly the place you want to cheap out.

4th Gear
    Your brake fluid will gradually accumulate water from the air, unless you live in a 0% humidity environment. I'm in relatively dry SoCal, and had to replace rear brake cylinders on one of my cars due to corrosion from old fluid. Purging brake fluid literally takes minutes, especially if you use a one-way check valve bleeder as I do. Start at the farthest wheel (right rear) and finish at closest (left front).

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by ylwagon View Post
    Your brake fluid will gradually accumulate water from the air, unless you live in a 0% humidity environment.
    X2 ...

I was about to say the same ... I know that the south is very humid (compared to socal) so I'm sure that it doesn't have to be cold to get moisture in the brake system ... Brake fluid is hygroscopic meaning it wants to absorb moisture ...

Sent from my ADR6400L using AutoGuide.Com Free App

1st Gear
    Not only would I do it, I'd also find another mechanic.

Neutral
    Well, I'm definitely keeping the mechanic. He's honest, experienced, and does excellent work. He knows I don't always follow all his advice and he's o.k. with it. When I had the control arms done he said he'd either order OEM for some obscene price or I could get something off the web and he'd put it in for me. I ordered an S4 kit from Pure Motorsports; he was impressed with the quality and price and asked for the name of the vendor.

I will get him to flush the brake fluid before too long though, if it is under $100 that's easy. I had the impression it was more. Probably have to wait a bit though 'cause my clutch started slippin'.

Edit: Thanks for the feedback.

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by tenbsmith View Post
    Well, I'm definitely keeping the mechanic. He's honest, experienced, and does excellent work. He knows I don't always follow all his advice and he's o.k. with it.
    That's your call, but your mechanic's claim that brake fluid doesn't need to be changed is just wrong, no matter how many decades he's been working on 'dubs.

Moderator Extraordinaire
    With the humidity in your part of the world I would definitely do it.
    Original Club B5 member: 08 R32 & missing my 99 B5

15. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information