Standard transmission stuck in gear?
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

Standard transmission stuck in gear?

Hey all,

I've been having some problems with my 5-speed. It started with sometimes it was kind of rough shifting the stick in either 1st or 2nd gear and thought it was nothing other than annoying. Now however the stick is stuck in first gear and I cannot get it out. Not with the car off, or clutch pedal inserted. I believe the transmission itself is working correctly but there is a problem with the stick itself. Anyone has any suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Neutral
    Do you have a pressure at the pedal or does it feel mushy? If this --> then you clutch master or slave went bad or both
    If you just cant get it in and out of gear Could be that the gears have gone to crap, The clutch won't disengage, or the syncros are damaged heavily.

Transmissions can be a beast to work on yourself lots of little pieces when you get inside. You might want to find a good transmission guy in your town.

3rd Gear
    Model year, engine, mileage, has the clutch ever been replaced? Any other history regarding the transmission, clutch, slave cylinder, brake fluid change (uses brake fluid for the pressure at the slave cylinder,) or clutch pedal?

Neutral
    It's a 98 b5 passat 1.8t AEB. Clutch has been replaced couple of months ago by a crappy mechanic but it seemed to work properly. Then a couple of week back the tube from the master to the slave cylinder popped out of the slave cylinder because apperently it wasnt connected right so I reconnected the tube and connected it after that bleeded out the system. Now it seemed to work until now. The fluid resevoir seems to be in bad condition, has cracks in it and small pieces missing on top of it. The shift felt pretty hot after driving the car, I'm not sure if that is normal.

clutch pedal feels okay and am able to disengage the clutch from the flywheel properly. I normally cannot put the car in reverse or even move it backwards in first gear but with the clutch down am able to move the car back with one leg.

Neutral
    I fixed the problem. You cannot believe what I found between the shift linkage under the car.

Moderate Moderator Steve in Chicago's Avatar
    Where the heck did THAT come from!?

1st Gear
    a clutch alignment pin. a really crappy mechanic. at least you found the problem. This is exactly why I do my own wrenching, it is the only way to be sure shit is done correctly with no leftover parts or left behind items like that. You should take that back to this mechanic and him with it.

3rd Gear
    Hey, in his defense I would store my clutch alignment tool there so I'd never lose it!

Time for a new mechanic...

Super Stealth Retired Moderator JayTheSnork's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'd like to know just how in the hell the alignment tool got there! I can't imagine anything you'd have to do that would require it being there.

those are plastic, btw, and come with most clutch kits - it isn't like the shade-tree mechanic that did the clutch lost something valuable.

11. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information