VAG-COM for sale?
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    2nd Gear

VAG-COM for sale?

Hello all,

How is it possible to find a second hand VAG-COM? When I Google "VAG-COM for sale", all that comes up is bunch of USB cords for sale ranging from 20$ to 100$.

Could you guys explain how this works? I want to buy VAG-COM but can not afford 200-300$ original from the manufacturer.

Best,

Alex

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

3rd Gear
    The Vag-Com is in the cloud. All you get with a purchase is the cord for connection to your car's OBD port and the other end to a serial/usb port on your laptop. The cord is what you're licensed to own. And once you own a licensed card you simply download the Vag software from Ross-Tech and you're all set. There is nothing on a disk. It's all from Ross-Tech as a download.

2nd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeMike View Post
    The Vag-Com is in the cloud. All you get with a purchase is the cord for connection to your car's OBD port and the other end to a serial/usb port on your laptop. The cord is what you're licensed to own. And once you own a licensed card you simply download the Vag software from Ross-Tech and you're all set. There is nothing on a disk. It's all from Ross-Tech as a download.
    So, if I could get the cord at a price of say 50$ online, will I still be able to download the software and play with my passat?

3rd Gear
    I can't answer that. And my inclination is to get your own legally licensed version directly from the exclusive provider Ross-Tech.

Go to Ross-Tech: Home and FAQ. You may get your answer there.

1st Gear
    There's 2 different versions of vag-com from what I've read one is a free ware you just need a compatible cable for the other you have to have a serial code to register/activate it so you can get the full use out of it. The free one is limited to what you can do but it'll pull codes I think. You also have vds-pro that lets you do some stuff to your car but not as much a vag-com. But that's the reason you can't find it second hand because like stated above its not on a disc you just get the registration code they will send you when you pay for it or just get a cable and try the free one. I have read some if the eBay vag-com cables don't work and some do. Ecstuning sells one that works with the older vag-com software I think it said

1st Gear
    If you can find one online that is the authentic Rosstech cable, than buy it. The software is downloaded from their site. The license is built into the cable so once you have the cable, you have full access to the full version of vagcom. The only thing with a second hand cable is that you have to pay $100 or whatever for customer support from rosstech. So if you dont need help, than all you need is the cable. The hitch is that there are companies selling generic cables that only give you limited access to an old version of the freeware and are unauthorized copies and than there are also fakes. This info is in the rosstech faq.

2nd Gear
    What do I need the $100 worth of customer support? What am I gonna get from it ?

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by axenstar View Post
    What do I need the $100 worth of customer support? What am I gonna get from it ?
    you dont need it.... its just that if you need help from rosstech with the software, they wont help you unless you are registered.

3.10 Can I sell my VCDS System to someone else?
    You can sell the Interface, but PC-based activations and support are not transferable.
    All of our Current Interfaces act as "dongles" for VCDS, so the software should be fully functional on any PC that meets our requirements. However, we only provide support to the original owner. If you sell your interface to a third party and that person wants to be a "registered user" (eligible for product support and upgrades), he will have to register with us for $99 here.
    Ross-Tech: FAQ Page 3

4th Gear
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by axenstar View Post
    So, if I could get the cord at a price of say 50$ online, will I still be able to download the software and play with my Passat?
    If that is purchasing a used Ross-Tech dongle, that is a good deal. I would not purchase a knock-off or you are opening doors to all sorts of unintended gremlins.

Review the Ross-Tech site for their product specs before you buy secondhand too. Some dongles will not work with your B5, and others may not work with your computer. All require a Windows PC (Macs do not work, even in emulation mode from what I understand), and most require a USB port. Some will talk to CAN bus too for more recent model years, but I have found the Dual K dongle to be sufficient for the B5/B5.5 chassis thus far.

My 2.

3rd Gear
    Keith, practically any Mac that has an Intel processor will run VCDS with either BootCamp (booting the machine directly from a disc partition with Windows) or VirtualBox emulation (using MacOS 10.6 or 10.7 as the host with a guest Windows system on the virtual machine).

I'm using the current version with a 2011 MacBook Pro, Windows XP under VirtualBox, and a USB Ross-Tech cable: everything reads perfectly, boots, and runs a heck of a lot faster than with XP alone on older hardware.

12. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information