Car jerks on shifting
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

Car jerks on shifting

I have a B5 2000 1.8T passat and i recently got the oil changed from my auto repair guy. That dumb ass put Semi-Synthetic instead of full synthetic, I got it changed and put full synthetic. the car jerks every time i shift from N to D, what could be the problem in this case. Help is much appreciated. !

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

4th Gear
    Are you thinking the two things are related? I can't tell you why your car jerks, but there is a sure way to keep dumb ass repair guys from putting in oil that you don't want: DIY.

Neutral
    No I don't think that the two things are related, but I was wondering what could cause it; may be he didn't plug something in ?

Moderate Moderator Steve in Chicago's Avatar
    Try cleaning your MAF. The Tiptronic system looks at MAF data when making decisions about how to make shifts happen.

Did he also change the air filter? If so, check the MAF connector. Get it scanned for codes. Is the idle unusually high? Was the oil level overfilled beyond the full mark?

4th Gear
    Did the jerking happen only after, or before as well? I had issues once when air filter was changed and MAF was disconnected or broken, then car began jerking when shifting into R and D to and from P and N. They replaced MAF and all was well.

Sent from my DROID2 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

Neutral
    @ Steve in chicago and @nolesfan
    I will take a look a at the MAF. Is there a DIY or set of pictures that will point me in the right direction.
    and @ nolesfan the problem is exactly as you have described,
    Thanks,

4th Gear
    Semi-synthetic wasn't a total deal-killer. You probably could have run it until the next change with no issues. If this jerking happened right after the oil change was done, you might want to check your transmission fluid. A common mistake is thinking the drain for the tranny is the oil drain plug...

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy Jollimore View Post
    A common mistake is thinking the drain for the tranny is the oil drain plug...
    But a totally drained trans won't even drive, let alone "jerk".

Moderate Moderator Steve in Chicago's Avatar
    They may have pulled the trans plug and lost a quart before realizing what was going on and plugging it back up. "Hey... that's not oil!" Stranger things have happened. Troys suggestion to check the trans fluid level is worth following up.

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by rokzin View Post
    I have a B5 2000 1.8T passat and i recently got the oil changed from my auto repair guy. That dumb ass put Semi-Synthetic instead of full synthetic, I got it changed and put full synthetic. the car jerks every time i shift from N to D, what could be the problem in this case. Help is much appreciated. !
    Did you're auto repair guy pay for the replacement oil or did you go somewhere else?

Perhaps someone nearby has a vag scanner?
    Last edited by wadia; 06-19-2012 at 12:55 AM. Reason: retracted - car is a 1.8 - not an ATQ

Neutral
    Solution : Fuse #34 was blown . Now it shifts absolutely fine .
    Holy God!
    Thanks

13. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information