2003 passat 1.8t engine replace how?
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

2003 passat 1.8t engine replace how?

Hi, I'm Planning to pick up a 2003 VW Passat 1.8T. It need engine replace. That passat will come out with new engine. It hadn't been drove in 3 years and the body only have 97,229 and new engine only have about 80,000 on it. The passat itself look dirty because it have not been wash since it sat down, so I'm sure after wash and it will look new! Interior Look new and smell fresh too! So, Im asking doe anyone have DIY to tell how to replace engine? I know it easy to remove engine and transmission same time front. If I remove out front and do I have to drop subframe? I have 2 Passat and few Jetta in passed. What easy way to remove engine to install new one in. Also If I disconnect Transmission from engine and will all fuild come out or what? I want transmission be safe to attach to new engine before I install back into body.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

1st Gear
    its all basically,
    1)drain the fluids
    2)remove everything in the front (bumper, fans, etc)
    3) remove hoses and all connections
    4)remove engine mounts
    5)pull out

4th Gear
    I'd pull the pan off the new engine to check for sludge and clean (or better yet replace) the oil pick-up tube. It's also due for a new timing belt etc.

I'd pull the tranny and engine together. Much easier to disconnect the axles and linkage than all the bell housing to engine bolts under the car. No tranny fluid will spill. You won't need to drop the subframe.

Neutral
    You will get some minor tranny leakage from the cooler lines. After catching the majority of it with a catch pan, pack a paper towel inside each of them and put a rubber band around them tying them off to the hose, this will keep the dirt out andthe tranny fluid in and from making a mess.

Resident a-hole knowitall
    is it a manual or auto? and the new motor is it from a manual or auto passat?

4th Gear
    Buy a copy of the Passat Haynes manual; it should cover how to do this.

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by vwb5t View Post
    is it a manual or auto? and the new motor is it from a manual or auto passat?
    this is important before you start. If your broken car is automatic, you want to make sure that your new engine came out of an auto car. If it's 5 speed then you need a 5 speed engine.

No need to drop the subframe.

Neutral
    It is Automatic. I already disconnet 2 line from tranmission cooler and cover plasic bag and wrap it tape. Yes, the new engine is Automatic from damage passat. Same engine code is "AWM" It tarheel color exterior which is very rare to fine one? Where I can find good Passat repair Manual book from? Dealership? Thanks!

Also I was so nasty outside and now it look new!
    Last edited by 91NCTDI; 04-21-2012 at 11:11 AM.

6th Gear
    The dealer will have the VW-recommended Bentley manual, but will want the full $130 list price for it. Sources like Amazon.com will have it for about $90. You can also get the much less comprehensive but easier-to-read Haynes manual for about $25 at most auto parts stores.

Neutral
    It any mount on Tranmission or just Hook engine and lift up and pull out?

Neutral
    I got everything disconnet BUT still have problem of tranmission cable or linkage. How i can dissconnect the linkage off transmission? Thanks.

Resident a-hole knowitall
    really long flat tip screw driver going in from the backside of the tanny and popping the cable socket off the shift ball.

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by vwb5t View Post
    really long flat tip screw driver going in from the backside of the tanny and popping the cable socket off the shift ball.
    Thanks!!!! Will do it trm since it dark now. Will update some more info.

15. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information