radio code
NEWS
 
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 12 of 12
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Humble Mechanic

Thread: radio code

  1. #1
    Neutral
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    boston
    Posts
    58

    radio code

    how can i get the radio code with out going thru the dealer or taking out my radio

  2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Moderate Moderator Steve in Chicago's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    51
    Posts
    14,804
    Check the owners manual and any documentation that came with the car looking for a four digit number. Also look to see if they wrote it down in the spare tire well. Some replacement radios have had the number written on the radio itself (totally defeating the purpose of a locking radio). The radio isn't difficult to remove if you have access to the removal tools. You insert the tools into the small slots on the face-plate of the radio and the radio slides right out of the dash.

    Some radios will unlock themselves when you start the car and all the other modules come on-line. With some of these, the radio talks to the other modules (CCM or Cluster?) and if it sees it's in the car it belongs in, will un-SAFE on its own.

    Was this radio working in this car before or is it a replacement unit?

  4. #3
    Neutral
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Sleepy Eye, Mn
    Posts
    4
    Blog Entries
    1
    I have the same problem...It is a car I am getting from a friend who had it stored at his farm since aquiring. There is NO code anywhere in the vehicle(believe me I've checked every square inch!) The local stealership told my friend it would be $45 to get code. I have just gotten the whole car cleaned up and would at least like to hear what shape the radio is in before deciding to replace it or not. Can't afford the $45 just to find out if I like it or not. I heard of a guy on here called 98greendash who helps people get codes....but my pm messages dont seem to reach him. I have vin # and radio is OUT so I have radio #also...can anyone help?

  5. #4
    Neutral
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    boston
    Posts
    58
    yes thank you steve once i turned the car off when i got back in it in the am the radio was working again. will this happen any time i take the battery off also like if i had to replace the battery .

  6. #5
    1st Gear
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    390
    Quote Originally Posted by zellardaddy View Post
    I have the same problem...It is a car I am getting from a friend who had it stored at his farm since aquiring. There is NO code anywhere in the vehicle(believe me I've checked every square inch!) The local stealership told my friend it would be $45 to get code. I have just gotten the whole car cleaned up and would at least like to hear what shape the radio is in before deciding to replace it or not. Can't afford the $45 just to find out if I like it or not. I heard of a guy on here called 98greendash who helps people get codes....but my pm messages dont seem to reach him. I have vin # and radio is OUT so I have radio #also...can anyone help?
    So you want someone that works at a Dealership to help you, but you call them the stealership? DM me.

  7. #6
    Neutral
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Sleepy Eye, Mn
    Posts
    4
    Blog Entries
    1
    Just seen them called that on here...so I followed suit. Sorry! I saw one guy post that it is right in the cars manual that the service has no charge...but have seen ALOT more saying "D"ealership wants the $$. Guess I was just frustrated cuz I have NO idea what the radio even sounds like...If I had gotten to hear it and thought the sound was good...I would consider paying the $45 F(r)EE Hope I didn't offend anyone, it was nothing personal really...

  8. #7
    3rd Gear
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    san diego, 03/V6/5sp wagon
    Age
    39
    Posts
    1,964
    If you already have the radio out (so they can read the numbers in the back) the dealership shouldnt be charging you anything.
    I ve done this 3 times in 3 different dealerships.

  9. #8
    4th Gear
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Age
    37
    Posts
    2,545
    If you can't afford the $45 fee for this, then the Passat is the wrong car for you.

  10. #9
    Neutral
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New Philadelphia, Oh
    Age
    22
    Posts
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by nolesfan View Post
    If you can't afford the $45 fee for this, then the Passat is the wrong car for you.
    This.

    Ive had my passat for 4 months and have spent almost what I have on the car in replacement parts.

  11. #10
    Rum
    Rum is offline
    Neutral
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    116
    Quote Originally Posted by B5_Mann View Post
    This.

    Ive had my passat for 4 months and have spent almost what I have on the car in replacement parts.
    Sounds like we got our cars around the same time. I've spent a grand just for the bare essentials so far. I know there's other work to be done but it'll just have to wait.

  12. #11
    Neutral
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    columbus,in
    Posts
    52
    I called the dealership gave the vin number and radio number and they gave me the code I told I was willing to pay them there fee but they didn't,I got lucky I think.

  13. #12
    1st Gear
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    390
    Quote Originally Posted by zellardaddy View Post
    Just seen them called that on here...so I followed suit. Sorry! I saw one guy post that it is right in the cars manual that the service has no charge...but have seen ALOT more saying "D"ealership wants the $$. Guess I was just frustrated cuz I have NO idea what the radio even sounds like...If I had gotten to hear it and thought the sound was good...I would consider paying the $45 F(r)EE Hope I didn't offend anyone, it was nothing personal really...
    I was just giving you a hard time! If you have the code (starts with (VWZxZxxxxxxx) then most dealers will give it to you for free. IF they have to remove the radio(older models) then charging is fair. Remember, techs get paid for the work they do, not by the hour.

    If you need a radio code, and have the serial number, just send it to me. I will help you out.
    katone likes this.

  14. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements
     

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.2