Lost (severely misplaced) both sets of keys- Cheapest solution??
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    1st Gear

Lost (severely misplaced) both sets of keys- Cheapest solution??

Greetings- Long time, no post, . I have lost both sets of keys for my 2000 Passat wagon which luckily is parked in my driveway. What would be the least expensive method for getting a new key made?Thanks in advance for your help. regards, Paul, Providence, RI

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Neutral
    have a locksmith come out to your car and make some keys ?

3rd Gear
    Go to dealer with your VIN number. Assuming the lock cylinders have never been replaced, they should be able to use your VIN in order to make a key for your car. You can't really go to a lock smith without a key they can replicate, even then the key is not "laser" cut but it is a different kind of machined security key cut, so finding a locksmith to make one can be difficult. Dealer's don't generally charge up the wazoo for a replacement key, but a replacement key with remote, that's money.

Neutral
    I had a locksmith come out to my house when my uncle locked himself out of his 99 jetta lol was pretty funny ... was a while ago but i wanna say that he was able to make a mold and maybe a few hours later had a key cut ..... dont get me wrong he paid for it he did but he did it

1st Gear
    I would go with the dealer.

1st Gear
    hypnosis... so you can remember where you severely misplaced your keys.

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisjdolfan View Post
    I had a locksmith come out to my house when my uncle locked himself out of his 99 jetta lol was pretty funny ... was a while ago but i wanna say that he was able to make a mold and maybe a few hours later had a key cut ..... dont get me wrong he paid for it he did but he did it
    Early 99 Jetta had the typical car key, cut symmetrically along its edges.

Switchblade key on the B5 Passat and 99.5 Jetta and later Golf is a bit different.

4th Gear
    Oh and hope your 2000 doesn't have immobilizer. Apparently it was started sometime in 2000 MY. If not, it should be cheap. Of so, you need a transponder key ($$) and then have the ECU/cluster programmed to match ($$ again).

1st Gear

Just ordered a Valet key (over the phone) from the dealer.

The first dealership that I called was more concerned about making the big bucks than trying to help me. I then called Scott VW in East Providence and ordered an (unprogrammed) Valet key over the phone by giving them the VIN and then my credit card number. Total cost- $65.00. Apparently VW sends the key to the dealer, and then they will call me, probably sometime next week. I ordered the Valet key for two reasons, right now I just need to get into the car to retrieve a bunch of tools that are in there. The secoond reason is cost. Now, when I get this key, will I be able to program it with my VagCom (so that I could start the car) or will I have to have the Dealer do it at some point? (if I can't find either set of keys) As stated initially, I'm 100% certain that at least one of the sets of missing keys is in my house, I just need to do an extensive search and I will find them. So, can a 2000 VW Passat V6, 5 speed Valet key be programmed with a Vagcom?? Thanks again, regards, Paul.

4th Gear
    If there is an immobilizer, then you will need the SKC number to use the VAGCOM for programming the key. My 99V6 does not have an immobilizer, so no programming needed.

3rd Gear
    why did you loose your keys?

4th Gear
    So you do have immo?

Valet key will be fine, especially if your glove box isn't locked.

FWIW, they program the car to recognize the key, not the other way around. If you have the SKC, go buy VCDS and do it yourself. The dealer will charge you close to what VCDS will cost, so it will be well worth it.

If you do not have the SKC, then you are stuck with letting the dealer do it.

I am so glad I have 99s: no immo, no SAI, simple PCV......

Loose female member
    Pretty good chance you do not have an immo system on your car.
    so you should be able to drive it ok.

1st Gear

That was easy!!!!!!

Hello again- The new Valet key arrived at the dealer on Tuesday (ordered on Friday!). Got home and tried the key in the door, and, it opened the door!!! Tried it in the ignition (just for laughs), and nothing happened. At this time I also noticed that the battery had run nearly dead, so I threw it on the charger. A couple of hours later, to my surprise and delight, the car started with the Valet key. Yippee!!!. The idiot at Balise Volkswagon had told me that the valet key would not start the car until I towed the car to thier stealership and had the car and key programmed together. I think that he said that the programming would cost $100.00, plus the cost of the key, plus the cost of a tow. Well guess what, I had a feeling that he was full of shit, so I called Scott VW ,and for $65.00, I got a Valet key that starts the car...........Moral of the story..... ALWAYS get a second opinion.... Thank You, Paulie

4th Gear
    So you do not have immo then.

Now find your switchblade.

17. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information