<b>need help with turbo <b>
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

<b>need help with turbo <b>

i noticed my 2 hoses for my turbo under neath my car on both sides in the front are dripping oil. please give me some idea why so i dont ruin my turbo

thank you

david

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Super Moderator Steve in Chicago's Avatar
    It's normal for a small amount of oil to collect in the hoses and pipe that run from the turbo, across the front of the car then to the intercooler. The PCV system vents some of its gasses into that tract and the vapors condense into an oily residue. The turbo itself can also pass a small amount of oil through the shaft seals into that tract.

Excessive amounts of oil buildup can indicate a problem. If the turbo shaft seals are bad, they'll allow too much oil to pass into the intake path (or sometimes the exhaust path depending on which seal is bad). Worn rings can cause excessive blow-by which will produce more crank case gasses for the PCV system to vent.

How much oil is the car using? Are you seeing blue smoke from the exhaust at any time?

Loosen the hose clamps and pop the rubber hoses off the metal crossover tube under the front bumper. Notice how much oil has accumulated in those hoses/pipe. Pop the hoses back on and secure the clamps. Next time you do an oil change, re-inspect those hoses to see how much oil has built up. A small amount is normal.

Neutral
    it drops a few drops each day on the ground.it just started after i got my oil changed the other day. i will take hose off and check the oil build up. do you think i might have a clogged pcv also.

thank you for your reply

Check your oil level. Make sure they didn't over fill it.

What type and weight did they put in?

Neutral
    5-40 synthetic

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in Chicago View Post
    Check your oil level. Make sure they didn't over fill it.

If they changed the oil the quick and dirty way (letting it spill all over the subframe). It will drip for some time.

Neutral
    ok steve it looks like my oil is maybe 1/2 to 3/4 of a quart to much is this going to mess anything up what should i do just drive it and let it continue to leak until my oil is down to normal level. please help i dont want screw anything up.

Overfilled oil can cause CAT damage. This may also account for the amount of oil you're seeing passed into the intake tract (unusual for your car before this).

Pull the drain plug and drop 3/4 of a quart. Do it with the engine cold so you'll be able to have some control over the oil-water-fall and get the plug back in. It'll be messy.

Or if you have the means, get one of those oil evacuators that suck the oil up out through a tube via the dipstick tube. Then do your oil changes yourself from now on.

11. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information