Could a bad alignment cause that much vibration/noise???
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    1st Gear

Could a bad alignment cause that much vibration/noise???

Hello all!
    Recently, (the last 2 months probably, was too lazy to go get it checked out till now) there has been a rhythmic humming/vibration coming from the front end of my car. Its nothing from the engine compartment as its directly related to how fast the wheels are spinning.
    At first, i attributed it to one or more bad wheel bearing. Then, I noticed the passenger side tire has worn almost down to the wear bars (the tire was pretty much new at the beginning of the "winter"). Soon after this, I took it to my local shop that does a lot of work on my car to get there opinion. From my description they said it sounded like a bad wheel bearing and tie rod on the passenger side. But when they got around to working on my car, they said there was no problems with the wheel bearings or tie rods, but that it was the alignment being off.
    I just want some opinions from you guys, because on the highway, the vibrations can get pretty violent and it leads me to think its more than just the alignment. Plus its just annoying to listen to.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

3rd Gear
    Sears checks alignment for free over here (I'm guessing everywhere in the US?) and it takes only a few minutes.
    Mine needed it pretty bad and it did improve my vibration problem a little bit, if your tires are very unevenly worn you might also need new tires..

3rd Gear
    iirc Sears also has a lifetime alignments deal that is at or below the cost of 2 alignments (might be a thing of the past, though).

4th Gear
    It does sound like you need a new alignment, but I'd also budget for a new tire at the same time. A tire that's been all dorked up due to bad alignment isn't likely to suddenly start behaving well just because you fixed it.

Neutral
    vibration at higher speeds usually means you need your wheels balanced, they get unbalanced as the tires wear. but if you havent had an allignment in a while, youd prob be best gettin that done too. balancing is cheap, about 10 bucks a wheel.
    i also had that humming which i thought were the bearings which i changed. that didnt fix it and i never worked out what it was, performance exhaust sorted the problem

7. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information