Power Steering Fluid Flush ***DIY***
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

Power Steering Fluid Flush ***DIY***

This is not my write up. But I give credit to the guy who did. It was off another forum.
    Ive copied all the info and pasted it here to share but the link is here

Power Steering Fluid Flush***DIY***VW Passat (ATW) - PakWheels Forums

I found it handy, I thought I'd share it. Ive orderd 2 qts of the steering fluid online from Blauparts

Tools Requires:

Pliers, screw driver.

Supplies:

2 litres of OEM PS fluid only, rags 2-3 or oil absorbents, empty soft drink bottle 1.5-2.0 litre capacity.

Make a plug with a small piece of hose and 1/4" screw to block the return line on the reservoir (you can also use the golf tee to block it).

Procedure:

Remove PS reservoir cover. (picture #2)

Remove the charge air cooler pipe at the throttle body and place it below the throttle body to create more working room. (picture #2)

Uncliped 5 electral connectors from the holding plate. (picture#3)

Open the PS reservoir cap and remove the old fluid as much as possible using the long nose oil extracting syringe.

Place the 2 litre empty soda bottle below the oil filter (make sure the bottle is secure and not moving). (picture #9)

Remove PS return line with the plier.

Plug the return line quickly with the desi plug you made above (or use the golf tee to block it)

Pour the new PS oil upto the top. (picture #5)

Connect the fluid return line to a clear tube or you can put it directly in to the bottle to flush the old PS fluid.

You need a helper for this step : Tell him to crank engine for max of 3 seconds, while you watch fluid level in the reservoir, which will suck down new fluid quickly and the old fluid receptacle will fill quickly with old dirty fluid.

Repeat the above step 4 times. After 4th and final flush the PS reservoir will be pretty low. Remove the plug from return line and re-connect the PS return hose to the connector on the reservoir.

Re-connect electral connectors on the holding plate, re-connect the charge air cooler pipe to thorttle body.

Fill PS reservoir to max line, crank engine for couple of seconds and re-check the fluid level. Put back the plastic cover over the PS reservoir. Drive around, check PS fluid level and check for leaks.

spancolor: #0000ff""DONE!!!

General Rack and Pinion Diagram

NOTE/WARNING!!!

The PS fluid reservoir bottle is very small and will completely empty in the matter of a few seconds when flushing, even when filled to the brim. Do not let it run dry, as PS pump or other component damage could occur.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

4th Gear
    I'll be freshening up my PS fluid when nicer weather comes around for sure

Very nice write-up you found

3rd Gear
    Maybe I'm missing something here...but what do they mean by "crank engine for max of 3 seconds"?...what's stopping the car from starting here? Plus I'm pretty sure it's not dangerous to run the car with one of the hoses off? As long as you don't turn the steering wheel?

Then you can just keep feeding in new fluid into the reservoir and it'll pump it out?

4th Gear

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by crash893 View Post
    Great! this is the first Ive heard of the wiki. ...Im kind of a newbie here. Great write up's there too. Ive book marked it! Thanks!

1st Gear

Question

How To Change VW Power Steering Fluid For Vw Passat B5 and B5.5 models Overview:
    • Refer to the factory Bentley manual for VW hydraulic system instructions.
    • We recommend having a A.S.E. certified VW mechanic change your VW hydraulic fluid.
    • Always wear gloves and safety goggles when handling Vw fluids.
    • Never start the vehicle without VW hydraulic fluid in the fluid reservoir.
    This is a basic overview of what is involved when flushing Vw hydraulic fluid. It is not intended to replace the factory Bentley manual. Please refer to the factory Bentley manual for detailed instructions.
    1. The VW hydraulic fluid reservoir is located on the drivers side inner fender well in the engine compartment right behind the head lamp.
    2. Locate the oil cooler tubing in front of the radiator for Vw hydraulic fluid. Find the rubber hose that attaches to the tubing located near the drivers side lower corner of the radiator. Disconnect the hose and drain the Vw hydraulic fluid.
    3. Flush the old Vw hydraulic fluid out of the Vw steering rack and pinion. Turn the steering wheel full lock side to side about 10 times. This sequence pushes the Vw hydraulic fluid out of the steering rack and into the fluid reservoir in order for it to drain out.
    4. Some models have a sleeve type filter screen inserted in the fill hole of the Vw hydraulic fluid reservoir. If it has the filter, remove it and clean it. Clean out the sediment that also exists on the bottom of the Vw hydraulic fluid reservoir.
    5. Reinstall the Vw hydraulic fluid hose removed in step (2) and fill the reservoir with G002000 Vw hydraulic fluid.
    6. Start the engine and let the car run for 10 seconds at a idle. Important! Do not rev the engine up. Revving the engine could cause hydraulic pump damage.
    7. Refill the Vw hydraulic fluid reservoir again with G002000 hydraulic steering fluid.
    8. Start the engine and let the car run at a idle turn the steering wheel full lock about 10 times from side to side.
    9. Turn the engine off and top off the Vw hydraulic fluid in the reservoir.

Link: http://www.blauparts.com/vw/vw_fluid/vw_hydraulic_fluid.shtml#howtochangevwhydraulicflu id1

I have done as above but I have only managed to get out a total of 0,5 Litre !
    What I'm doing wrong
    ?

Last edited by 2stroke; 02-19-2012 at 02:05 AM.

2nd Gear
    I just used one of those red battery filling bulbs. Sucked out the old, put in some new, turned the wheel a bunch of times lock to lock, did it again, and after the third time, it looked pretty good. Checked it a week later and it was still clean.

1st Gear
    ^^^^ To The Top ^^^^

2nd Gear
    Depending on the condition of the return line, some may opt to replace the line at this point. You must warn them that there are two brass flow restrictors in the line, right before it attaches to the reservoir.

One or both may be removed and/or modified to increase the PS flow rate, this will decrease the PS assist, increase road feel. Also decrease fluid temp during autocross. There are lot's of threads on doing this, and also installing a PS cooler.

However, if you are merely flushing the system, you don't want to lose these restrictors by accident.

1st Gear
    ^^^^ To The Top ^^^^

I realy need some help here guys !

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by 2stroke View Post
    ^^^^ To The Top ^^^^

I realy need some help here guys !
    I hope this isn't too late 2stroke. I wasn't ignoring you, but I just got around to changing the power steering fluid today. I used the method you posted to get a better understanding in what's going on.

I did step one and drained the fluid by removing the ps cooler line. This line is the low pressue fluid return line from the rack into the cooler. Step 2 is to drain the rack. It's not stated in the instructions you have. But I think here it helps to jack up the front in order to be able to turn out the remaining fluid out with the steering wheel. Dont start the car just turn the wheel fully like stated about 10 times side to side to empty the rack. Then button it all back together, lower the car and fill the reservoir. Start the car and keep a careful watch and keep topping the fluid off. It took awhile to work all the air out of the system. The pump was kinda noisy. I was pretty scared at that point that I had ruined the pump but it sounded back normal as all the air worked its way out.
    Last edited by PassatFan1; 02-17-2012 at 09:06 PM.

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by PassatFan1 View Post
    I hope this isn't too late 2stroke.
    I just got around to changing the power steering fluid today.
    I used the method you posted to get a better understanding in what's going on.
    I am glad to hear from you.

I did step 1 and drained the fluid by removing the ps cooler line.
    This line is the low pressue fluid return line from the rack into the cooler.
    OK, checked !

Step 2 is to drain the rack.
    It's not stated in the instructions you have.
    But I think here it helps to jack up the front in order to be able to turn out the remaining fluid out with the steering wheel.
    Dont start the car just turn the wheel fully like stated about 10 times side to side to empty the rack.
    I have jacked up the front of the car and by hand turn the wheels fully about 10-15 times
    All the oil I manage to get out is from the PS cooler and the PS fluid reservoir.
    It seems that I not been able to emty the steering rack

Then button it all back together, lower the car and fill the reservoir.
    Start the car and keep a careful watch and keep topping the fluid off.
    It took awhile to work all the air out of the system.
    The pump was kinda noisy. I was pretty scared at that point that I had ruined the pump
    but it sounded back normal as all the air worked its way out.
    Se above...

Neutral
    Hi Guys,

Actually this is my write up. I did it in 2008, that time I was not a member of Passatworld, that is why I put it on Pakwheel's forum website, they liked it (but nobody was driving a Passat there ). I have more DIY's on Passatworld now, (Transmission fluid change, PCV, and turn signal relay fix). I think barke pads and rotors DIY is still on Pakwheel's forum.

Thanks.
    FM01.

3rd Gear
    Is it recommended to pour 1/3 bottle of Seafoam before doing the PS flush?

Neutral
    Thanks FM01 for taking time to document your adventure so we can do ours a little bit easier. Good write-up.

17. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information