Bad Ignition Switch?
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

Bad Ignition Switch?

Hey guys,

I'm not over here very often (I like to hideout over at AZ )

Anyway...My buddy has a 98 passat 1.8t auto. This morning when he went to leave to come to work, his headlights, wipers, and turn signals aren't working. I did some research and it looks like its his ignition switch. I was just wondering if anyone might have some other ideas...

Also, I did find this write-up, would this work for the passat as well?

Thanks Guys!
    ~Mike

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

4th Gear
    Could also be the load reduction relay.

Both a bad ignition switch and load reduction relay cut power to many of the same things, but there is one thing that works with one but not the other that allows you to know which is bad. Alas, I cannot for the life of me remember what that is.

I was able to replace the ignition switch in my B5 Passat without removing the steering wheel, but I believe you have to pull it on the A4 as the shroud is different.

You may want to try the relay first as it's much easier to change.

Neutral
    zak,

Thanks for the reply. I did some more reading, and it looks like the horn is the key to determining which is bad. If the horn works, its most likely the relay. Unfortunately, the horn isn't working, so it looks like it is in fact the ignition switch.

You said you replaced it without taking off the steering wheel....was that using the method I linked to above? or is there an easier way?

~Mike

4th Gear
    On a Passat or A4?

And no, not that method. It's different for a B5. I can tell you what I did later.

Neutral
    This is on my buddy's Passat. Its a 98. That'd be awesome if you could tell me how you did it, because I plan on changing it for him Saturday, and any tips will save me time!

Thanks Man!

4th Gear
    On the Passat you can turn the steering wheel to either side to access the screws in the shroud. After both are out, take out the screws holding in the tilt adjustment lever. You can then drop the lower shroud. Unscrew, but not all the way, the little red screw holding in the lock cylinder. Then you can remove the lock cylinder, replace the switch, and put it all back together.

This is from memory, so I may have left something out. But I think it's fairly complete.

Neutral
    That's awesome! So it should be a lot easier than I was expecting. Thanks man, I really appreciate the help!

4th Gear
    Took me like 30 minutes.

10. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information