PCV and suction pump replacement; 2002 1.8T AWM
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

PCV and suction pump replacement; 2002 1.8T AWM

Today, I decided to change the suction pump as I noticed it is moist and my valve cover is leaking. I want to post some pictures of the old suction pump and pcv valve. The y-section leading to the pcv is completely clogged up. The pcv is also clogged. I cleaned the hose which connects the suction pump to the PCV with carb cleaner. Hopefully, this will stop my valve cover leaking problem. The hardest part was to undo the one-time clamp holding onto the PCV as it has absolutely no room to maneuver. I don't have a Dremel tool and I was also worried about cutting the hose by mistake. I just want to share this pictures with everyone. The car has 129,000km. DSCN0294.jpgDSCN0291.jpgDSCN0293.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Neutral
    Please keep us up to date on this. (or just me)
    I think I may need to do this. I have 118,000 miles, and I seem to get the odor of burnt oil when the heat is on, with fresh air intake (not recirculating)
    Thanks,
    Chris

2nd Gear
    Interesting, I plan on doing mine (2004 with 94,500km) once spring arrives. Have you used synthetic oil since new?

Neutral
    It has been 2 days since the job and I have no more burnt oil smell at stoplight with fresh air intake. I didn't realize about the clogged PCV until after I removed the suction pump. I knew I had to remove the hose leading from the PCV to clean as it was filled with carbon soot. Otherwise it would be a waste of time with the new suction pump. That's when I noticed the clogged PCV. I will monitor the valve cover for now as it is not leaking bad. I know I will need to get the cam tensioner seal done down the road (which I would not attempt myself). Burnt oil smell came from oil droplets onto the exhaust down pipe from the leaking valve cover. If you suspect burnt oil when you get home next time. Just pop the hood and look down the passenger side. You may see smoke from leaking oil droplets evaporating when it hits the exhaust.

Neutral
    I bought this car 2nd hand from a dealer used car lot over 4 years ago (it had 74,000km on it then) and I have been using synthetic oil (Castrol Syntec 5w/40). I would imagine this car was well maintained by the first owner. I never have to top up between oil change although I only put in about 5-6K km every 6 months.

Neutral

Pcv

Was it difficult to remove these pieces without damaging the hoses. Would you recommend having on hand a spare hose, which one? If you remove your oil cap while engine running does the cap flutter or suck down?

I have 90,000 miles on a 2003 AWM and am thinking replacing these valves is probably a good idea.

4th Gear
    Interesting, I have 102k miles on mine and have not touched the PCV system. So far no oil leaks, other than leaking VCG 2 years ago that I replaced, but no leaks there since. I change plugs every 10k miles and wells do not have any oil. I think I've been lucky long enough and it's time to do the above work as well. 2004 AWM.

Quote Originally Posted by nolesfan View Post
    Interesting, I have 102k miles on mine and have not touched the PCV system. So far no oil leaks, other than leaking VCG 2 years ago that I replaced, but no leaks there since. I change plugs every 10k miles and wells do not have any oil. I think I've been lucky long enough and it's time to do the above work as well. 2004 AWM.
    Same model year for me at 125K. No issues either and have not touched anything PCV. VCG replaced 80k ago under waranty.

2nd Gear
    I have ordered my suction jet pump and associated replacement hose clamps, my 2004 with only 94,000km is not throwing any codes, but my VCG - replaced last year - is now leaking again despite proper installation with the sealant at the corners etc. There was no evidence of sludge or crud in the valve cover, just the normal brown baked on residue on the aluminum surfaces which cleaned up easily.

I want to see if the SJP is plugged up, it is not so hard to access, nor very expensive ~ so anything for education eh? FWIW, I've used Kendall GT1 100% synthetic 5W40 - VW approved since car had its first oil change. The investigation of the condition of the SJP should be interesting, because if I find the SJP plugged, it might make me wonder about Kendall's ability to resist coking etc.

The replacement will wait until Spring, as I have zero interest in working in my garage in cold weather ~ especially to replace something that might not be broken.

Stay tooned :o)

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by 2bluepassat View Post
    Was it difficult to remove these pieces without damaging the hoses. Would you recommend having on hand a spare hose, which one? If you remove your oil cap while engine running does the cap flutter or suck down?

I have 90,000 miles on a 2003 AWM and am thinking replacing these valves is probably a good idea.
    I can't answer the question about oil cap as I never remove the oil cap with the engine running because I don't know if oil will splash out. I was extremely careful (for fear of breaking) when I was removing the hose between the PCV and the suction pump. It took me a while to unclip the one-time clip at the PCV end as it was hard to reach. The fat end is a screw-on type so it was quite easy to loosen. I turned the hose and pulled at the same time and it came undone. Then I noticed the PCV is clogged up so I knew I had to replace the PCV. I then used a pair of pliers to pull out the PCV while turning. The hose was still ok so I re-used it after cleaning. Now that I got rid of the one-time clips, it would be easy to replace if the hose should break down the road.

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtech View Post
    I have ordered my suction jet pump and associated replacement hose clamps, my 2004 with only 94,000km is not throwing any codes, but my VCG - replaced last year - is now leaking again despite proper installation with the sealant at the corners etc. There was no evidence of sludge or crud in the valve cover, just the normal brown baked on residue on the aluminum surfaces which cleaned up easily.

I want to see if the SJP is plugged up, it is not so hard to access, nor very expensive ~ so anything for education eh? FWIW, I've used Kendall GT1 100% synthetic 5W40 - VW approved since car had its first oil change. The investigation of the condition of the SJP should be interesting, because if I find the SJP plugged, it might make me wonder about Kendall's ability to resist coking etc.

The replacement will wait until Spring, as I have zero interest in working in my garage in cold weather ~ especially to replace something that might not be broken.

Stay tooned :o)
    Get the PCV while you are at it since it is much cheaper than the SJP. If your SJP is coked up, your PCV will be worse. Mine was.

4th Gear
    Wow, I just changed my SJP last night, and the old one looked like the new one, co clogs like yours. The only difference between the old and new was the new one seemed to flow air more easily.

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by nolesfan View Post
    Wow, I just changed my SJP last night, and the old one looked like the new one, co clogs like yours. The only difference between the old and new was the new one seemed to flow air more easily.
    Ditto. The updated design of the 2004 really seems to make a difference on the cleanliness of the PCV system. My 2004 AWM had nothing more than a mere hint of an oily coating on the infamous 'L' breather hose, 'T' hose intersection and PCV valve. The SJP was as clean as a whistle, as were the check valves and associated rubber hoses.

My PRV (puck valve) is also clean and functioning correctly. I just don't know why my valve cover gaskets leaks so badly..!! I will change it again this summer (2nd time for doing this) and also the CCT gasket at the same time and monitor the oil leaks with an eagle eye....

4th Gear
    I think we're in the same boat after all. Looking around last night it seems the CCT and VCG gaskets are both leaking at the back. I just had it done last summer, but I bet the sealant they used either was the wrong stuff for the application (it was white), or it didn't cure long enough and actually worked against it's intended purpose. The VCG isn't hard to change at all, but doing the CCT gasket myself ha me a little nervous.

1st Gear
    2004 AWM here too. SJP is clog free at 92,000, but my VCG leaks 1 year after replacement. Not sure what the cause is, but would love to pinpoint it.

17. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information