Stabilizer bar link install trouble!
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

Stabilizer bar link install trouble!

Alright... So I just got through installing a new control arm set on the passengers side of my 1999 1.8. I've got a load on the suspension and have been torquing down everything, and of course the last thing I have to torque down is giving me some grief. According to Haynes manual, the stabilizer link to control arm spec is 52 ft lbs. and the stabilizer link to stabilizer bar is 66 ft lbs. I got the link to control arm torqued down, but for some reason the link to stabilizer bar just keeps going and going. At first I was using one of the used original bolts because the kit didn't seem to come with enough hardware, and ended up snapping it. So now I've got a new one in there, but it's still doing the same thing and my concern is that it seems to be squashing or over compressing the bushing and I don't want to snap another bolt. Do I need to just keep going or do I have the wrong specs. So far everything else seemed to be fine but this is pissing me off!

Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Neutral
    Come on! Doesn't anyone have a Bentley Manual that they can whip out real quick and look up the info for me!?! Also, if you can get all the torque specs for all the control arms and stabilizer bar and anything else in the area, that would be awesome too!

I was able to get the bolt torqued down to the 66 ft lbs, but it seemed kind of hairy. Also, I just replaced all the control arms and hardware on the drivers side and had again, to reuse one of the old bolts for the same location and snapped it. Found the LAST new one that had rolled under a couple things and then snapped it as well on that side.

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaase help me find that info!!!!! I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Thanks again!

3rd Gear
    I have the Bentley in front of me and it says "Tighten nut-3, 40nm (30lb/ft) + turn 90 degrees further"

Hope I'm looking at the right one...but it's the bolt/nut that connects the sway bar link to the sway bar, correct?

I'll upload a pic tomorrow but I'm pretty sure that's it.

EDIT:
    Last edited by ElliottG; 01-23-2012 at 06:12 AM.

Neutral
    Right on, thank you so much! That's the one! I can't believe that the Haynes manual speced the torque at 66 lbs! That's the second time I've been screwed by that Manual... I really need to get a Bentley. Now I just need to pick up a new new bolts at the auto store and wrap this thing up! Any chance you OR ANYONE ELSE READING THIS could get all the torque specs for all the control arm connections? I'm kind of concerned after getting the wrong info from the book!

Thank you again so much Elliot!

3rd Gear
    No problem.

I don't have a lot of time right now, but the torque specs can be found here at the bottom of the page: Control arm replacement and suspension overhaul VW Passat Audi A4 A6

I'll have to double check them later.

Elliott

7. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information