no heat
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: no heat

Neutral

no heat

Hey everyone. i have a 98 passat and ny heat is not working. my temp gauge when hot always reads halfway. My coolant was a little lo the reservoir so i topped it up to max but still no heat? i also have a problem when driving on the highway in the summer. if my a/c is on then it will freeze and barely any air will get through the vents. Im not sure if these are related but any help would really be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by ludikris View Post
    Hey everyone. i have a 98 passat and ny heat is not working. my temp gauge when hot always reads halfway. My coolant was a little lo the reservoir so i topped it up to max but still no heat? i also have a problem when driving on the highway in the summer. if my a/c is on then it will freeze and barely any air will get through the vents. Im not sure if these are related but any help would really be appreciated.
    What kind of coolant did you top off your system with? G12?

Moderate Moderator Steve in Chicago's Avatar
    Is your fan/blower not pushing air through the ducts and vents like it should? Or does the air flow freely but just isn't hot?

Neutral
    I'm not sure, it's weird. i had the car running for a while and the rad fan never kicked on. But on my way home about a 45 min ride, i had it up to 130km\hr 3000 rpm and the heat was working. but now its still now working. even when my temp guage is at half there is barley any heat.

1st Gear
    my guess is heater core. Which is why I asked what type of coolant you used to top it off. If the wrong coolant was ever used it would definitely be the heater core.

Quote Originally Posted by ludikris View Post
    I had the car running for a while and the rad fan never kicked on. But on my way home about a 45 min ride, I had it up to 130km\hr 3000 rpm and the heat was working. But now its still now working. Even when my temp gauge is at half there is barley any heat.
    rad fan?

Are you talking about the fan under the hood up by the radiator? Or the ventilation blower fan under the dash that makes the air blow out of the dash vents to give you heat? (those are two different fans that do two different things).

Driving at 130kmh (81mph) will force some air through the ventilation system just by ram-air effect. Once you slow down, no air will come through the system unless the blower fan is running to push it through.

Is this a Climatronic automatically controlled heat/air system or the manual controls with three knobs?

With the car ON, turn the hot/cold knob all the way to the right (hot). Turn the fan to 4 (high). Turn the damper control to dash vents (the 3:00 position).
    Then check to see if you feel air flowing out of the dash vents. If no airflow, the blower motor is not running.

Neutral
    I have the same type of issue, in the past my heat was killer hot. Now in the last week, my heat is luke warm. The blower is work but there just any heat. About six months ago I topped off coolant with G12. Any ideas?

Neutral
    My mechanic told me that I could use any red coolant. the stuff I used said it was ok for vw's Im going to get the heater core flushed and see if that helps first.

Neutral
    Where can u get g12 coolant from?

Neutral
    The local NAPA store carried the Pentofrost SF (Pentosin) product.

1st Gear
    Any word on Steve's question? It is a bit confusing. Is your fan working when you turn the knob? Does your engine ever fully warm up? Could be anything still. I would say it is best to take the time to accurately diagnose the problem so you are not wasting money on things that don't need to be done.

@PatricP I would start your own topic for more help. Also not enough information was provided to give an accurate guess of what may be wrong. Things that are useful for us to know: engine temperature when driving (highway and city), relative temperature of your heat (cold, warm, hot), your mileage, the year of your car (kinda), and any other symptoms you can think of.

14. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information