NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Fog Lights

1st Gear

Post Fog Lights

Hi guys,

This is probably an old topic, but the search has not led me to my answer.

VW PASSAT B5 1997-2001 fog lights lamp grille set NEW | eBay

I would like to fit fog lights like the ones above. How do I do this, and what switch do I need etc.

Thanks,

Chris

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

(insert title) Moderator Steve in Chicago's Avatar
    I'm not sure how the headlights are wired on your UK model. On the US B5, the low beam section of the headlight employs a bulb with two filaments. One is the low beam and the other is the fog beam. If yours are set up the same way, you could simply tap into the wire powering the fog filament and use that to trigger a relay powering the new fogs from a fused battery feed. You probably don't want to power the new fogs and the OEM fogs directly from the OEM wire because it's probably too high of an amp load (read: melted wires).

As for fitting the new lower grill sections, it looks like you will need to do a little surgery to the original lower grill.

As for the switch, on my OEM US switch and on my Euro-switch, pulling the control knob out one click powers the fog circuit.

Edit: I mixed up which bulbs do dual-duty. It's the High Beams that have two filaments and can shine either high (high beams) or low (fog beams).
    Last edited by Steve in Chicago; 02-03-2012 at 07:44 PM.

1st Gear
    Sorry to dig the thread up this late, but I have a euro spec switch. The problem is the fact that it does not pull out because my car was never fitted with lower fog headlights. On ebay I can find a switch that pulls out, but I need to know how to pull the old switch. Surly you can set it up so that it will activate the new fog lights (or as I now call them, Daytime running lights)?

Cheers,

Chris

1st Gear
    Nobody?

Quote Originally Posted by RightGuard View Post
    I need to know how to pull the old switch.
    There is a little trick to it, but once you've done it, you'll see how simple it is.

Grab the center and push in.
    Then while pushing, turn it to the right (this releases the locking pins).
    Then pull out the whole assembly.

1st Gear
    Just curious, how do you switch on the rear foglights?

I wish I wasn't witless
    Quote Originally Posted by Kronenbourg View Post
    Just curious, how do you switch on the rear foglights?
    You need the FULL Euroswitch with the second pull-out along with the rear fog lamp trigger wire.

2nd Gear
    A euro switch will have two pulls, one for front fogs, and the next for rear

I wish I wasn't witless
    This switch:

Rear-Fog:

The Indicator Wired Separately:

In most of Europe, the lamp is located on the DRIVER'S side; In England it is on BOTH sides.

I wish I wasn't witless
    Quote Originally Posted by onepoint8tee View Post
    A euro switch will have two pulls, one for front fogs, and the next for rear
    Not entirely true, there were two styles:
    1C094153120H_tn.jpg 1C0941531A20H_tn.jpg

Schalter

The first has only One pull for rear fogs, front fogs were an option overseas (built in to the standard housings like the U.S.)

1st Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by Passat2.8 View Post
    You need the FULL Euroswitch with the second pull-out along with the rear fog lamp trigger wire.
    I ask that, because the inspection (MOT) in Britain is much stricter than ours, and his car wouldn't pass it without having rear foglights, they are normally standard on cars over there. So I wonder if he already has a euro switch, to use with the front foglights he's adding, or if it's just a single pull for the rears.
    Last edited by Kronenbourg; 02-07-2012 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Edit

1st Gear
    Righto,

To end this confusion, I bought the car in late '96 in Luxembourg (it was out then, it is not the B4). I got it custom made in the factory to UK Spec, As I knew that I was going to move back to the UK.

With my headlight switch, you have to put it to its maximum setting (excluding high-beams, which you activate with the indicator stick), THEN you can pull it out which activates the rear fogs.

The fogs in my original link come with 55w bulbs, and they actually replace the grille, so no surgery is needed on the original grille.

If I buy a switch like this: Headlamp/Headlight Switch With Front and Rear Fog Lights Replaces 1C0941531A NEW | eBay

Is it just a case of transferring the wiring from the old to new, then somehow incorporate the front fogs?

I am really relying on you guys because of the fact that a B5 with lower fogs is a rare sight over here, so wiring help would be appreciated.

To be honest, this isn't really a case of looks for me. I genuinely need them because I drive mainly in unlit areas, and I just thought that an extra set of lights would be helpful, especially considering it could come to under 50 quid.

Thanks for all the effort put into your answers,

Chris
    Last edited by RightGuard; 02-07-2012 at 12:35 PM.

I wish I wasn't witless
    You will need to replace the switch with that one. The car did not come with front fogs correct?
    If not, you will need to add wiring which I can show you.
    If yes, this job is fairly easier.

1st Gear
    No, it has not got front fog (lower) lights.

I wish I wasn't witless
    Well, the easiest route is to buy a harness and tie it in:
    Fog Light Wiring - Harness w/Relays - VW Passat 3B [33769] - $53.95 : Kufatec USA, Inc., The #1 Supplier of OEM Volkswagen & Audi Retrofit Harnesses in the World

To do it on your own, you will need to run a trigger wire to the relay and another trigger wire to the relay from the high beam circuit. From there you will need a ground to the relay, then run the power and ground to the fog lamp location. (Or find a ground near the lamps)

I have some wiring diagrams if you go this route.

1st Gear
    A quick search of the Google has come up with this:

http://brendogg.info/Fog%20light%20g...0for%203BG.pdf

1st Gear
    Okay,

Now that I know how to install them, I would like to know if they would make a massive difference.

If I put a 55w bulb in each of them, Will it be a noticeable difference?

I wish I wasn't witless
    It should be; I added my fogs with the OEM Xenons and I noticed better light output especially close to the ground right in front of the car.

Neutral

After market B5 fog lamps

Quote Originally Posted by RightGuard View Post
    Hi guys,

This is probably an old topic, but the search has not led me to my answer.

VW PASSAT B5 1997-2001 fog lights lamp grille set NEW | eBay

I would like to fit fog lights like the ones above. How do I do this, and what switch do I need etc.

Thanks,

Chris
    Thanks for posting this fog lamp kit. I've seen other aftermarket lamps for the Passat but they didn't flow with the car. Theses nearly look oem. Their perfect

Ive also considered doing this below

These are pretty cool too but I would want to have the honey comb to go all the way across the front
    ...unless it does? Correct me if Im wrong? Now my car doesn't have existing front oem fog lights so
    these below may not work because I dont have mounts. The above two options may be my only choice.

http://VW 97-00 Passat B5 OEM Front ...e NEW FULL SET

Last edited by PassatFan1; 02-13-2012 at 09:17 PM.

2nd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by PassatFan1 View Post
    Thanks for posting this fog lamp kit. I've seen other aftermarket lamps for the Passat but they didn't flow with the car. Theses nearly look oem. Their perfect

Ive also considered doing this below

These are pretty cool too but I would want to have the honey comb to go all the way across the front
    ...unless it does? Correct me if Im wrong? Now my car doesn't have existing front oem fog lights so
    these below may not work because I dont have mounts. The above two options may be my only choice.

http://VW 97-00 Passat B5 OEM Front ...e NEW FULL SET

The first set that you posted with the horizontal lines, dont exactly look OEM... the lines are much thicker and could look 'weird' & out of place. the same with the honeycomb ones... the center part of the bumper does not get replaced with this kit, so that may look strange as well... the LED strip may not proved much light output and be more for looks... i'm not 100% on this, but this is tyipically the case.

do a search for b5 fogs (if i come across the threads, i'll try to post a link). this has been a rather large discussion for us B5'ers. wanting an OE look is not readily available and to acheive such can be done, but takes some work/creativity.
    for many B5'ers who have fogs it would come down to 1) i would rather have fogs that are easy to install and am not concerned how 'perfectly' they match/look like or 2) i want them to look as factory as possible and dont mind getting my hands dirty!

which are you?

I wish I wasn't witless
    Quote Originally Posted by godsspeed View Post
    which are you?
    I'm the latter:
    http://www.passatworld.com/forums/42...5-finally.html
    Attached Images Attached Images

4th Gear

My question to you is: How did you wire the fogs in and be able to turn them on without the low beams? Or are yours tied in with the marker lights?

I wish I wasn't witless
    Quote Originally Posted by DerhsLacidar View Post
    My question to you is: How did you wire the fogs in and be able to turn them on without the low beams? Or are yours tied in with the marker lights?
    My car came with factory fogs in the main headlamp housings as did all US Passats.
    To better answer your question I pulled te DRL relay and have a euroswitch.

Note that very early B5's are wired differently and removing the relay and adding a euroswitch will not allow the same functionality.

1st Gear
    Passat2.8,

Your method of doing it seems like a good idea, I have just looked at the lower grille on my Passat, and it is all one piece (is that normal? ). I have found a switch on ebay which is one pull for frong fogs, and two for rear.

Have you had a look at the link for the document that I posted? It is great, but It does not specify how to wire the new wires into a new switch. To me, it looks like I buy a new switch, plug all the connections out of the old one, and plug them into the new one, then somehow incorporate the new wires for the fog lights into it.

Thanks,

Chris

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by godsspeed View Post
    The first set that you posted with the horizontal lines, dont exactly look OEM... the lines are much thicker and could look 'weird' & out of place. the same with the honeycomb ones... the center part of the bumper does not get replaced with this kit, so that may look strange as well... the LED strip may not proved much light output and be more for looks... i'm not 100% on this, but this is tyipically the case.

do a search for b5 fogs (if i come across the threads, i'll try to post a link). this has been a rather large discussion for us B5'ers. wanting an OE look is not readily available and to acheive such can be done, but takes some work/creativity.
    for many B5'ers who have fogs it would come down to 1) i would rather have fogs that are easy to install and am not concerned how 'perfectly' they match/look like or 2) i want them to look as factory as possible and dont mind getting my hands dirty!

which are you?
    I'd like them to look as close as I can get them to OEM. I'll try doing a B5 fog search, but if you can find it that'd be great. Im pretty good with fabricating a mount/brackets, I dont mind getting my hands dirty. I see several oem fog lights and grills listed on ebay. My only concern is how the lights mount on the grill? are they mounted directly to the grill insert? Or are on a bracket mounted to some sub structure. I may just hold off until I can find a car in the salvage yard. That way I can get everything that I need all at once, plus see how it's all tied together. As far as the wiring. Not having oem lower fog's lights I just have the standard light switch. Now according to the owners manual I do have fog lights by pulling the light switch out, but that only illuminates another light in the headlamp assembly. (WHAT IS THAT? LOL) Anyways, I'll set up another auxiliary B+ line with a relay that will be triggered from the standard light switch being in the pulled position to supply the voltage to the "lower" fog lamps. That way I wont overload the circuit with 4 lights being illuminated. I'll keep you all posted.

Quote Originally Posted by PassatFan1 View Post
    Not having oem lower fog's lights I just have the standard light switch. Now according to the owners manual I do have fog lights by pulling the light switch out, but that only illuminates another light in the headlamp assembly. (WHAT IS THAT? LOL)
    Those are fog lights. They are not separate fixtures in the lower grill. They are built directly into the regular headlight housing.
    On the US B5, the high beam section of the headlight employs a bulb with two filaments. One is the high beam and the other is the fog beam.
    Turn them on and you get an additional beam of light that shines down wide and low on the road just in front of your car (that's what fog lights do).

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by DerhsLacidar View Post
    If it's like the pre-facelift A4, I know how to wire it so you have independent fogs, I believe. Worked on my Audi, which has a Euro switch stock (plus functioning rear fog!).

You have to run switched (off 75x post) powandroid the right pole of the fog light fuse in the panel on the side of the dash. You also need to mod the fog light relay so that it's in the "on" position. I used a small piece of wood to wedge the contacts together. You can also just use jumper wires with spades on them. Now my fogs come on whenever I want, headlights on or not.

I know the Passat headlight switch is a bit different, but I think the cars are wired similarly, if not identical.

4th Gear
    My car came with factory fogs in the main headlamp housings as did all US Passats.
    To better answer your question I pulled te DRL relay and have a euroswitch.

Note that very early B5's are wired differently and removing the relay and adding a euroswitch will not allow the same functionality.
    Ahhh okay, mine is a 98. That must be why mine don't activate with just the markers on. DRL relay is pulled, I have a(n?) Euroswitch (that sounds funny haha) and I swapped the wiring around in the headlight connectors so that the fog trigger would turn on my city lights in my replica projectors. Looks like I'll have to be hitting the wiring diagrams for my car!

Quote Originally Posted by zak99B5 View Post
    If it's like the pre-facelift A4, I know how to wire it so you have independent fogs, I believe. Worked on my Audi, which has a Euro switch stock (plus functioning rear fog!).

You have to run switched (off 75x post) powandroid the right pole of the fog light fuse in the panel on the side of the dash. You also need to mod the fog light relay so that it's in the "on" position. I used a small piece of wood to wedge the contacts together. You can also just use jumper wires with spades on them. Now my fogs come on whenever I want, headlights on or not.

I know the Passat headlight switch is a bit different, but I think the cars are wired similarly, if not identical.
    That's something to get started with, thanks. I'll definitely look up the diagrams for my car as well.
    -Also I have the rear fog wired up as well as the trigger wire for the instrument cluster rear fog indicator light
    I've got an A4 fog light setup coming my way in the mail currently, so I will have the same front fog setup as shown above Been wanting them forever!

4th Gear
    My Audi had fog lights in the headlight housings, not separate ones in the lower side grilles.

But I got projector HID housings, so I extended the fog wires down to the aftermarket fogs I installed in the bumper.

"powandroid" really should be "power to.". Gotta love the iPad self-correct lol. I used a spade on a wire from the 75x post and slipped it into the right side where the fuse would go.

Let me know if you have any questions. And if it works of the Passat. On the Audi the fog light switches are wholly separate from the headlight switch.

Neutral
    Thanks Steve. Being fairly a newbie still I had no idea that was the (US) version of the fog lights. Seeing several Passats with the lower fog lamps I figured it was just an option that I didnt have. I'll just have to wait keep an eye on eBay to gather all the parts.

32. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information