Turbo Replacement?
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral
    Blog Entries

Turbo Replacement?

I have a 2002 Passat 1.8 L Turbo. We believe Turbo is Bad......where is a dependable AFFORDABLE place to buy from? Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Neutral
    , do you have boost guage to tell if the turbo is spooling and how much boost its making?
    do you hear any weird sounds from it, have you taken the turbo inlet pipe off and check for shaft play?
    if the turbo is in fact bad after you check the turbo, check here in parts for sale, any other 1.8T forum

1st Gear
    Why do you believe the turbo is bad?

Just curious...

2nd Gear
    I have one for sale, if you need one

Neutral
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sellers83 View Post
    , do you have boost guage to tell if the turbo is spooling and how much boost its making?
    do you hear any weird sounds from it, have you taken the turbo inlet pipe off and check for shaft play?
    if the turbo is in fact bad after you check the turbo, check here in parts for sale, any other 1.8T forum
    I had Problem with Cam Shaft Tensioner coming apart and getting down into the Oil Pick up which caused low oil Pressure. I drove it about a 100 miles or so and realized that i was having a problem, by then the damage was done. Turbo has No Power Now and has Smoke coming from tail pipe as well as there is whining noise which sounds like the Turbo trying to work. So sounds like Turbo Replacement to me? Any Help from the Pros out there!

Thanks,
    Barky

4th Gear
    Whining noise, like a dentist's drill? That'd be the turbo alright. If so, try to source a used one from here (see Jmacc's post above yours) or Audizine. Lots of guys get rid of their good condition stock turbos after upgrading to a larger one in order to make more power. You can also check Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market to see what local yards around list, or can get. Otherwise, stay away from the cheap Ebay turbos, as they seem to be unbalanced or come apart easy. You're pretty much looking at not much more money to get a K04-15 (bigger) turbo over a K03 (stock). Might as well go for that.

You could also check out the folks at G-Pop Shop to see what they have, or see if anyone like Slappy Dunbar or anyone on here can chime in. Typical replacement price for a new K03 will be around $450-$650, with a K04-15 running $750 and up.

3rd Gear
    G-Pop shop rebuilt my KO3 for a little over $300. Just beware that the consensus is, and G-Pop's will lecture you, that it just doesn't make sense to rebuild a KO3 unless the KO3 part number ends with a letter "J." I was able to find a used "J" in very rebuildable shape. It was worth it getting what is considered as the "Sport KO3."

Just don't go the e-bay route. If you want cheap oats walk behind a horse. There is a lot of cheap oats on e-bay.

An option is to buy from G-Pop's your own turbo rebuild kit. They run aboutn $100. Check out their website. I have a G-Pop rebuild kit that is still unopened. I planned on rebuilding mine, that is until I read about KO3 "Js" as the only rebuild worthy KO3s. But if you're looking to save $$$ and can't afford to buy another turbo then a rebuild may suit your needs. Be sure your turbo is in fact rebuildable. There are certain weak points that tend to fail, and fail obviously. In my case I took detailed closeup pictures of a prospective turbo then e-mailed the pix to G-Pop. They got right back to me about 86'g the purchase due to an ever so slight crack obvious to them, unseen by my eyes.

Contact me if you think a rebuild kit is in the cards. If your turbo's rebuild kit part No. matches what I have then I will priority mail it to you at a discount.

Neutral
    Blog Entries
    Went to Turbo Pros and purchased a New Replacement Turbo for around $400 and Wow has worked Great so far!

10. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information