2002 Passat Oil leak repair help, looking for some guidance.
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Neutral

2002 Passat Oil leak repair help, looking for some guidance.

I'm the second owner of the this 2002 Passat. The Timing belt and water pump has been done by the first owner @ 102K miles.. Its a 2.8L V6

I bought the car for $3500 a few months ago with 114K miles, and I just noticed an oil smell and smoke. I did notice some seepage along the bottom of each valve cover, or at least as much as I can see.. However, sometimes I don't smell anything.. I've been reading that valve cover gaskets and cam shaft seals need to be replaced as well as PCV tubing. Now, the exterior and interior of this car is cherry. Is it worth the investment to get this fixed? I've done engine work before. Does anyone know of a good qualified mechanic on Long Island, or should I attempt to do this on my own? Parts seem to be rather inexpensive I just want my car to be fixed...

Any links to guides would be great, or if you're on Long Island and want help with the repair, PM me...

Thanks

Joe
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Super Stealth Retired Moderator JayTheSnork's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I got your PM, Joe. at the moment, I have too much going on to be tackling other problems for other people.

if you have a reasonably decent set of tools and knowledge of how to use them, and access to the internet, this isn't a hard fix. on a 1 to 10 scale, valve cover gaskets and PCV replacement is a 4 or easier to fix - the only requisite is patience.

you need to ascertain if it is valve cover gaskets causing your problem, for starters. if the PCV system has never been replaced, I'd almost guarantee this is the problem.

if you take the time to replace the PCV components and the valve cover gaskets, replace the oil fill cap with the newer one that has the vent (can be ordered from ECStuning.com).

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by JayTheSnork View Post
    I got your PM, Joe. at the moment, I have too much going on to be tackling other problems for other people.

if you have a reasonably decent set of tools and knowledge of how to use them, and access to the internet, this isn't a hard fix. on a 1 to 10 scale, valve cover gaskets and PCV replacement is a 4 or easier to fix - the only requisite is patience.

you need to ascertain if it is valve cover gaskets causing your problem, for starters. if the PCV system has never been replaced, I'd almost guarantee this is the problem.

if you take the time to replace the PCV components and the valve cover gaskets, replace the oil fill cap with the newer one that has the vent (can be ordered from ECStuning.com).
    What I find very interesting if I take off the oil fill cap while its running, it starts to run like crap... One with a vent would make it run like crap all the time... I can't seem to find the PCV components at autozone. Can you recommend a place to get them?

Super Stealth Retired Moderator JayTheSnork's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    try ECStuning.com for all of it. autozone doesn't carry much for our cars.

the vented oil cap only works when a certain amount of pressure is reached, and only vents off the excess pressure.

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by joeteck View Post
    I'm the second owner of the this 2002 Passat. The Timing belt and water pump has been done by the first owner @ 102K miles.. Its a 2.8L V6

I bought the car for $3500 a few months ago with 114K miles, and I just noticed an oil smell and smoke. I did notice some seepage along the bottom of each valve cover, or at least as much as I can see.. However, sometimes I don't smell anything.. I've been reading that valve cover gaskets and cam shaft seals need to be replaced as well as PCV tubing. Now, the exterior and interior of this car is cherry. Is it worth the investment to get this fixed? I've done engine work before. Does anyone know of a good qualified mechanic on Long Island, or should I attempt to do this on my own? Parts seem to be rather inexpensive I just want my car to be fixed...
    On the contrary, PCV maintenance parts for your 2002 2.8L V6 are very expensive. Stage 2 PCV Service Kit with valve cover gaskets cost you from $466.92 to $488.93 from ECS Tuning. Since your two rear cam oil caps and cam chain tensioner gaskets are also most likely failing, you really should get Stage 3 PCV Service Kit which will run you from $520.15 to $534.15. You also may have to take the intake manifold out to replace one of the PCV hoses.

ECS Tuning PCV Service Kit
    Updated: V6 PCV system replacement (now with suction pump!)
    V6 cam oil seal replacement DIY (detailed, with photos)

Neutral
    That's funny, because a PCV service kit does not need valve cover gaskets...

That's this kit

EDIT: Selling car... going to cut my losses..
    Last edited by joeteck; 11-14-2011 at 12:51 PM.

3rd Gear
    Joe, dude's just trying to help you. List of service kits: Volkswagen Passat B5 FWD V6 30v > Engine > Emission > PCV

Level 1 does not come with VCG. Since you already noted it's leaking, yrwei presumed you'd want the level 2 kit including VCG. ~$50 price difference versus $90 for VCG kit alone.

3rd Gear
    That's funny, because a PCV service kit does not need valve cover gaskets...

That's this kit
    Quote Originally Posted by doyles-1.8T View Post
    Joe, dude's just trying to help you. List of service kits: Volkswagen Passat B5 FWD V6 30v > Engine > Emission > PCV

Level 1 does not come with VCG. Since you already noted it's leaking, yrwei presumed you'd want the level 2 kit including VCG. ~$50 price difference versus $90 for VCG kit alone.
    In addition, for 2002 (and above) 2.8L V6, it has different PCV system which costs a lot more. The link OP listed is valve cover gaskets kit without PCV parts. Add about $400 more for your PCV parts!

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    In addition, for 2002 (and above) 2.8L V6, it has different PCV system which costs a lot more. The link OP listed is valve cover gaskets kit without PCV parts. Add about $400 more for your PCV parts!
    That's nuts.... I just got a price for the repair, minus the PCV crap, for $1600
    Last edited by joeteck; 11-14-2011 at 07:34 PM.

2nd Gear
    That's nuts.... I just got a price for the repair, minus the PCV crap, for $1600...

Selling the car... first $6500 takes it...

2002 Passat V6 2.8L GLX (custom)
    They are all easy and cheap fixes if you shop around. I just did y valve cover gaskets for my v6 and it cost me like $50 with shipping and about 2 hours of my time. Good luck selling the car on here for 6500 when you already told us you paid 3500 for it.

3rd Gear
    Lol @ "give up, sell" after 11 posts.

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by shaggy1071 View Post
    They are all easy and cheap fixes if you shop around. I just did y valve cover gaskets for my v6 and it cost me like $50 with shipping and about 2 hours of my time. Good luck selling the car on here for 6500 when you already told us you paid 3500 for it.
    Actually, Firestone will do it fir $480.. for both sides..

Neutral
    it takes about an hour per side. i did one on a A6 awhile ago. its not hard, just takes a little while.

Neutral
    Well, the car is custom... It has video surveillance all around the car... I have a switch in the cabin to turn it on while the car is off... Wild stuff here... Here are a few pictures to see what I'm talking about... The Radio is a Pioneer AVIC-930BT... I also have a DVR that records everything to a 16 gig flash card. Records audio and video with motion.. I also have a IR repeater that brings the IR signal into the cabin, so I can change stuff and watch the recorded video on the screens... 7" Headrest screens... I did this instillation myself..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by joeteck; 11-15-2011 at 08:25 AM.

3rd Gear
    So you're willing to drop cash on A/V stuff but not on the engine?

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by doyles-1.8T View Post
    So you're willing to drop cash on A/V stuff but not on the engine?
    I said I would not drop $1600 on the engine repair... $500 yes...

3rd Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by shaggy1071 View Post
    Actually, Firestone will do it fir $480.. for both sides..
    Leaking valve cover gaskets is a very common problem on B5/B5.5 2.8L V6. Normally it is caused by clogged PCV system which in turn creates back pressure in the system and blows out the valve cover gaskets as well as the cam seals creating oil leaks. It is a common practice that replacing both PCV system and valve cover gaskets at the same time otherwise you are wasting your money and they will leak again very soon. The cam oil caps and seals are normally replaced at the same time, hence the Stage 3 PCV Service Kit offered by ECS Tuning. Unfortunately the PCV system for 2002 and newer Passat’s are outrageously expensive and that’s why many people are avoiding a used Passat’s just because its high maintenance cost. There is always a reason why you could find a used 2002 Passat for only $3500!

Neutral
    Leaking valve cover gaskets is a very common problem on B5/B5.5 2.8L V6. Normally it is caused by clogged PCV system which in turn creates back pressure in the system and blows out the valve cover gaskets as well as the cam seals creating oil leaks. It is a common practice that replacing both PCV system and valve cover gaskets at the same time otherwise you are wasting your money and they will leak again very soon. The cam oil caps and seals are normally replaced at the same time, hence the Stage 3 PCV Service Kit offered by ECS Tuning. Unfortunately the PCV system for 2002 and newer Passat’s are outrageously expensive and that’s why many people are avoiding a used Passat’s just because its high maintenance cost. There is always a reason why you could find a used 2002 Passat for only $3500!
    I paid only $3500 because it was a family friend.

However it would seem that everyone is charging a crazy amount of cash for no reason... VW sells the PCV tubing kit for $68.50. Its based off of the VIN number...Which you probably already know.

3rd Gear
    I paid only $3500 because it was a family friend.

However it would seem that everyone is charging a crazy amount of cash for no reason... VW sells the PCV tubing kit for $68.50. Its based off of the VIN number...Which you probably already know.
    You have to blame it on VWAG that they want outrageous price for a simple PCV valve which will easily get clogged. As far as the price goes, you get only tubing kit from VW dealer, but not the whole PCV system and VCGs. If you get quotes for every parts listed on ECS Tuning for Stage 3 PCV Service Kit from VW dealer, you will be shocked how much these will cost you!

Neutral
    To save you money. Just clean your pvc hoses if there not yet brittle. I would not clean the crankcase vent but rather replace it(only like $69). Then buy the victor reinz valve cover gasket set. About 30-50 dollars. You can get some cheaper ones from cada or evergreen autoparts on ebay for 20. Then replace the oil cap with the updated pressure realese valve from ecstuning . com ...then a really good valve cover sealant for the gaskets. Look for blau parts videos on how to do it. Its easy. I have done it on 3 passats with success. I happen to forgotten the torque rating for the nuts on the valve cover. You might want to look up on that. Easy job. Just patience is needed like cleaning the head around where the gasket goes and if your doing the passenger side. Fuel line is in the way and I would not unscrew it but you can work the valve cover out within 2min on or off

Neutral
    UPDATE: The PVC hoses were not the problem. I just had my VW serviced. Had the valve cover gaskets, cam seals, and what ever else replaced.. No more oil smell. Got it done at the dealer for $1200. Also had transmission service done too, just to make sure... Very happy to know it was done by a professional..

4th Gear
    Very happy to know it was done by a professional..
    I've had some dealings with "professional" dealer mechanics in the past. A professional Honda dealer mechanic sprayed oil on my wife's clutch to try for a bogus clutch job, a Nissan dealer professional mechanic didn't tighten a bolt that fell out, and a professional Audi dealer mechanic changed my final drive gear oil but forgot to fill it back up, leading to a ruined transaxle.

2nd Gear
    Yeah. Your "professional" ripped you off. 1200 bux was money from heaven. And, I know a lot of mechanics and its the ones who DON'T have a large company behind them, scraping and hustling for each customer, that are typically the better "professional". I'd find an indy and stop paying the high rent of the dealer's building.

YMMV.

AJ

UPDATE: The PVC hoses were not the problem. I just had my VW serviced. Had the valve cover gaskets, cam seals, and what ever else replaced.. No more oil smell. Got it done at the dealer for $1200. Also had transmission service done too, just to make sure... Very happy to know it was done by a professional..

Neutral
    This was done at the VW dealer. 9 hour job @ $114 hr... plus transmission check... Includes a 1 year / 12,000 warranty...

2nd Gear
    Yeah. 114 an hour is steep, even for LI. It should have been more like 80 an hour (at most) and NOT a 9 hour job. I'm sure the mech did it in under 5. The warranty really doesn't mean much if it breaks again and when you bring it in they can prove another fault down the line "caused" the premature failure (such as bad PCV components). 114 an hour is usually reserved for higher end cars with more "consequence" to repair blunders, such as Porsched, MB, etc.

Not sure what alldata says about 9 hours on that job, either.

Man, Dealers got it licked, dont' they? THIS is exactly why VWs have such a bad reputation when it comes to maintenance and percieved costs. Also, in the future, do yourself a favor and DEMAND the old parts from the car when they're done. Interesting how stuff materialises when this happens.

AJ

I wish I wasn't witless Passat2.8's Avatar
    Keep an eye on the Gaskets and PCV system, if it gets clogged you will blow out all the new seals and gaskets.
    BTW, all of this could be done yourself quite easily with minimum automotive knowledge for much less money.

3rd Gear
    Joe you just got conned by the dealership. You made a fundamental mistake.

You need to realize who are your friends and who are your enemies.

Overdrive
    Yes, they were. The dealer just guaranteed himself some future income, if he replaced the gaskets without servicing the PCV system. The new gaskets will just start leaking again after a bit.

Also, I wonder what the dealer did as "transmission service" It's an automatic? Generally, the dealerships follow the company line that those are "lifetime sealed" and don't require service. If they DO change the fluid, they usually charge over $500 for that.

2nd Gear
    Joe, we're not meaning to pee on the parade, we just hate it when someone gets stiffed by dealer and/or indy (it happens, too). As a community, and speaking only for myself, we are here to welcome and assist owners of these great cars for the very reasons you are going through....poorly experienced and/or unscrupulous dealer support networks and robber-baron parts departments.

There are several members here who are either professional/semi-professional passat mechanics or can take one of these cars apart to the unibody and put it back together with no parts left over.

A lot of the mystery in cars is covered up by the dealerships who con the average consumer into thinking these things are made of unicorn poop in some great German factory in the sky by VW pixies who need magic dust to make them function properly....and the fact that those beautiful engine covers merely cover up a fairly rudimentary engine and transmission layout.

A decent set of hand tools, some patience and care, and the proper questions here can give even a modest shadetree mechanic the ability to tackle almost every repair on these cars short of requiring a lift. And there are some on here who do those repairs without a lift too!

First thing to do is troll around here and look for a good recommended independant mechanic in your area. Then, bring the car down for a meet and greet and explain your misgivings and your experience with the dealer and you'll have a friend for the life of the car. Many indy's will give advice and even recommend the proper way to do some repairs in your own garage if you feel comfortable with that.

Find someone with VAG-COM software in your area for reading VW specific computer codes, read the manual and understand the lights/warnings, and PLEASE ask questions here first. Chances are VERY good that no matter what the issue is, someone here has run into it and knows how to fix it with tools available at any store.

Make yourself familiar with your local Autozone or AdvanceAuto. Use them to "rent" the tools you don't want to buy or only need once. When you "rent" them, you get all your money back when you return them...things such as spring compressors, brake caliper tools, you name it..

I'd give this thread a read:
    http://www.passatworld.com/forums/42...ml#post2829221

My experience on this site has actually made me a pretty good mechanic mostly by teaching me the proper way to search for problems and solutions and which users to pay the most attention to regarding advice. I've even joined a Jeep Liberty forum and have tackled some pretty significant repairs on that car as well...

Remember...this is a car. Kids just out of HS get paid 9 bux an hour to repair them (in some instances), and change oil and do brakes....so why can't you?

Welcome,
    AJ

Neutral
    Thanks for the long reply, it had true meaning... However I already did some searching over the internet about the oil leak. did alot of reading. I did buy the top PCV tubing from ECS tuning and they used it. My car is way different that most of the instructional video's out there... PCV tubing is not the same. I also bought the cam seals, which they used as well. However, I could not find a local mechanic that would do it. Everyone declined. I then came here asking for a member to tackle it, he also declined. I tried to get a mechanic to do it, however the more I thought about it, the more I wanted a warranty when the job was complete. I don't have the luxury to have my car ripped apart for weeks during the rebuild. If I came across I problem I could not tackle, I would be in big trouble or if I broke something. Did I pay alot, absolutely. But I know it was done the correct way. Not my way. I have a family, and a single car will not cut it. This is my first VW, and probably my last used one. Its an 11 years old car, and as of right now, everything is working flawlessly. I feel getting this repair done by a certified VW mechanic insures me quality work and includes a 12/12 warranty which is very important, and a mechanic on the side can't offer. I can't attempt to do this type of repair myself as I've never done it. I've done starters, and radiators, external water pumps, but not true engine work.. Plus its winter time here and I don't have a garage I can work in. Its not the ideal working conditions. So before my car catches fire due to this oil leak, I needed it fixed asap. If motor oil gets hot enough, it does burst into flames.. According to VW the leak was extensive. They put a florescent die in the oil to see where it was leaking... Pretty much the entire top half of the engine, plus the rear of the motor. They replaced everything.. Cam adjuster seals, everything.

I will continue to get help from this forum, however just minor repair stuff, like brakes and rotor replacement.. Seems like a great forum so far..

Joe

32. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information