disconnected battery and now......
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread
    Neutral

disconnected battery and now......

hello,

I have been surfing this site for past year, you've all helped with a broken timing belt, water pump, icu, and well... and many other b5 issues.

anyways, I have a 1998 Passat that had a CEL come on about 5k miles ago, but now its time to go to emissions... So i went to pull and delete codes with obdII reader, and neither reader will read anything at all.

SO i pulled the negative off of the battery... AND now I have way more issues than before:

1. TipTronic quit working all together. My display shows PRND32 and is all highlighted in black all the way across. I can not manually shift at all... either with with the (+/-) or by pulling shifter back to 3 or 2.

2. Transmission now shifts into 1st when comming to a stop at 3 mph, with a HARD SHIFT/clunk

3. Turbo boost dropped. i was boosting at .4 bar and now i am getting .2 bar

4. last night, i lost reverse for a few seconds when trying to back in the car after a road test.

I am assuming i put the TCU into a limp mode? Or i shorted out the TCU or a sensor. Is there away to reset the TCU with out taking it in... I tried another battery pull twice, and no luck. AND on top of that, the CEL is still on. but that is another issue on its own which I will resolve after I get the transmission back to working again.

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

4th Gear
    Your transmission is in limp mode. Try a capacitive discharge and see if it helps the TCU.

FYI- pulling the battery DOES NOT reset a cel. If you have an aftermarket HU, you might have the K-LINE issue which would prevent a code reader from working properly.

If they connect to your car's computer during the emissions test, you would possibly still not pass, as the car has to go through a series of "readiness codes" that show the various systems are working properly. If the readiness codes are still in the test mode and not set, then it's considered a fail on the emissions test.

Neutral
    Quote Originally Posted by soundguybob View Post
    Your transmission is in limp mode. Try a capacitive discharge and see if it helps the TCU.

FYI- pulling the battery DOES NOT reset a cel. If you have an aftermarket HU, you might have the K-LINE issue which would prevent a code reader from working properly.

If they connect to your car's computer during the emissions test, you would possibly still not pass, as the car has to go through a series of "readiness codes" that show the various systems are working properly. If the readiness codes are still in the test mode and not set, then it's considered a fail on the emissions test.
    A few months ago, I DID put in a aftermarket head unit. soooo... what did i do wrong, or what do i need to do? I threw the old head unit away becuase half the buttons did not work. back to the seach bar...

capacitive discharge? i had to google that... this is where I disconnect the battery from both terminals and touch them together?

4th Gear
    Info on the K wire: Disconnecting K-Wire

You can pull both terminals and touch them together, or pull the negative and step on the brake pedal for a few seconds. This drains any residual power that's stored in the small capacitors that are throughout the small electronics modules in the car, and makes sure that everything essentially does a clean boot, so to speak.

Neutral
    thank you!

I will give this a try this evening when i get home...

Neutral
    IT WORKS!!!

i pulled out the aftermarket stereo and removed the wire from the harness... wrapped it up in e-tape.

plugged my laptop into the OBDII ports... and sure enough... IT WORKED... I was able to reset everything, and when i started the car, NO CEL, and the car is no longer in limp-mode.

I am thinking the car needed this for awhile, it suddenly shifts WAY BETTER... it was shifiting funny before, I thought it was a transmission issue, so i changed fluid and filters, which didnt help. BUT now... very smooth and responsive shifting.

THANKS!!!

8. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information