Starter relay
NEWS

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Starter relay

Neutral

Starter relay

I have a 1999 volkswagen passat 1.8 turbo and had the clutch and pressure plate replaced well when the job got done and it was time to start it my mechanic couldn't figure out why and I got to looking around and found the main power wire goign to the starter was pinched in between the block and the transmission well I pulled the transmission back down got the wire out and patched it but now nothing happens when I turn the key to start the car but it does start when I cross the selonoid over but under the dash is the starter relay and when I test it with a volt meter it's not getting any power so if anyone has any Ideas It would be awesome I'd hate to take my column out if theres no reason to thanks to who ever helps me

2. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

4th Gear
    Check fuse #14

Neutral
    I'm asuming your talking about the fuse panel on the left side of the dash when you open up the door right?

Super Stealth Retired Moderator JayTheSnork's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcollins74 View Post
    I'm asuming your talking about the fuse panel on the left side of the dash when you open up the door right?
    yes. check your owners manual for the location of the fuse in that panel. there also might be a "gouge card" on the inside of the panel that tells you what fuse is for what item.

Neutral
    Okay I figured out my relays to the starter are not getting any power but the wire I patched is good but for some reason the relays are not getting any power at all

4th Gear
    Have you checked fuse #14?

Blog Entries
    psssstttt... check fuse 14.

Neutral
    yes I have checked fuse 14 and it is good and I also tested the fuse with a voltmeter to see if it was getting a connection and its fine but I have noticed two of my wires going to the relay 185 are melted but I tested them and they are fine so at this point I am lost

2nd Gear
    Have you talked to your mechanic to see how much of this he's going to un-screw?

AJ

Neutral
    guess im gonna have to take it to a shop because I just replaced fuse 14 and its fine but fuse 14 doesn't have anything to do with the starter im guessing ill find out what the computer says and I will repost my problem when the car comes back from the shop so thanks for the help everyone

4th Gear
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcollins74 View Post
    guess im gonna have to take it to a shop because I just replaced fuse 14 and its fine but fuse 14 doesn't have anything to do with the starter im guessing ill find out what the computer says and I will repost my problem when the car comes back from the shop so thanks for the help everyone
    UM, Yes, fuse 14 does indeed have something to do with the starter! It feeds the CCM, which houses the OEM alarm (among other things) which controls one of the starter interlock relays, so when fuse 14 is blown the starter will not work. We know what we're talking about here, at least a little bit, so when you've got several people telling you the same thing, you should at least consider what they're saying!

Have you checked all of the fuses with a meter? There's more than one that could prevent the starter from working, and since the wire was pinched (and presumably shorted to ground) there's very likely to be a blown fuse somewhere. Other than #14, there's at least one other fuse that can affect the starter's operation, as it has to do with the other interlock relay.

The switch on the clutch pedal could also be messed up, since the trans was worked on, it's worth checking out.

Also, it's already been hinted at, but the mechanic that f*cked up your car should be liable for the repairs. It's on him, and he should have insurance for such an event if it's not something he can fix himself.

Blog Entries
    bob collins, we've been on this forum a long time - and people offer troubleshooting help based on what we know of your problem. when you didn't immediately come back and tell us that you had checked fuse 14, we're going to assume you didn't check it. as bobby said, it was the first thing we thought of and was pertinent to the topic of not getting starter voltage.

also check the load reduction relay.

as for troubleshooting Passats, this is just about the best group you are going to find.

14. Remove Advertisements
    VW Passat Forum
    Advertisements

Thread Information